Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G via Linksys

Options
  • 11-10-2006 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Do Vodafone Ireland support the Linksys router?

We're having some problems in Portlaoise with the service, 3G reception is fine, signal level is "good". However, during the day the service just drops, i.e. cannot ping or tracert to anywhere. IP address is still assigned and all looks good from diagnostics, just no traffic! Cannot even ping the voda nameservers.

Vodafone support will only help if the 3G card is installed in a laptop, not in the linksys. This morning they changed the APN to isp.vodafone.ie

Anyone else having difficulties with their service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I've had no problems today with my connection through the Linksys router. Although, my connection does drop out from time to time causing my router to auto reconnect. Is this happening to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grimly

Patrickof wrote:
    Do Vodafone Ireland support the Linksys router?

We're having some problems in Portlaoise with the service, 3G reception is fine, signal level is "good". However, during the day the service just drops, i.e. cannot ping or tracert to anywhere. IP address is still assigned and all looks good from diagnostics, just no traffic! Cannot even ping the voda nameservers.

Vodafone support will only help if the 3G card is installed in a laptop, not in the linksys. This morning they changed the APN to isp.vodafone.ie

Anyone else having difficulties with their service?

The past 24 hours was utterly dead on my 3G card, both on my PC with adaptor and in my laptop almost under the local cell tower. From 300kps to zero, about 10pm. The Vody guy on 1800 308020 wasn't Tech Spt, but was able to tell me there were connection problems in my area today.
    Tonight it's back up and running fine. Despite only using the card for a week, it was really horrible going back to dialup for a day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Yes I experience the same too!
    I find there are certain time of the day when it simply doesn't work. If I am connected the linksys status will tell me I have an IP and all if fine. But if I disconnect & try to reconnect I'm told it's unable to get and IP.
    I think the network is very flaky to say the least. Hopefully that's because they are working on it to upgrade it to the new HSDPA!? BUt I think I'm just being optimistic.

I have just started using 3g unlimited. I'm in a rural location and this represent teh only option to get an always on connection. I had hoped I could finally tell Eircom to take a running jump... but now I'm not so sure!

colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

Just out of interest what sort of pings do you normally get on 3G/GPRS?

Wondering because I was thinking about getting it for gaming. Currently using Icecomms but its unplayable.

Advertisement