Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW Internet Connection

• 11-10-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭

I currently use a wireless router to connect to the internet and have recently bought WoW. Would this cause many latency issues playing the game and would ye recommend drilling a couple holes and running an ethernet cable from the router to my computer.

Want to know before I use up my 10 day free pass and have a s**t experience trying to play the game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I would be very surprised if you have speed problems.

Obviously if your router is encased in lead or behind a thick wall you will have issues but wireless is just as fast as a physical cable in 99% of situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Been using a LinkSys wireless router for about 12 months now for playing WoW without any big problems. Biggest hiccup I got was that my cheap wireless card would drop signal occassionally so I stuck in a second, just as cheap, card into the machine so that when one drops I don't experience any interruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The house is that old it's probably got a few layers of lead based paint underneath alright!

Thats grand. I suppose my real question was about my wireless connection losing and regaining connectivity erratically. Wasn't really a question of speed. Using two wireless cards sounds like a good idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Who is your broadband provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i have a belkin wireless router and it worked grand for about 7 months now if the pc is on i cant get a signal on my laptop and if sum1 tunrs on the pc i lose my connection its a pain in the scrot......dont know if its the modem or the card in the lappy.............
    modem runs very hot though so i think thats the prob so im waiting to buy another one and well see what happens if it is the onboard card im going to go mental coz its just out of warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Best bet is try out the wireless connection with the game and see how it goes. If you're seeing red in the latency bar a lot then try a tempoarary wired connection you should be able to rule out the wireless as the cause.

I've used two routers. One was excellent using my laptop and poor on the PC (where i had the game).

The other was the BT Irleand router in my current house and its poor for the PC and the laptop so the problem can often just be the receiver.

In the end i just gave up I wired everything and the game ran sweet.

The guy I live with has a contract with NTL. He has LinkSys router (non-wireless). So, I have my own Belkin wireless router plugged into one of the LinkSys ports, so I'm going through two routers to get outside the house.

I'll give it a go anyway I suppose, with the wireless connection first - Not a big fan of making holes in other people's houses.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

used both a wireless and a wired system on 2 differnt laptops on the same modem, first machine was great wired but brutal wireless and it was 2 meters from the modem, all clear line of sight. second is perfect both ways through walls and everyything. i only use wireless now annd all is good. laptop internal card is of a higher quality so al is better, maybe a better internal/external wireless card is needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

ping your accesspoint for a while and see how many packets its dropping. anything more than a 10% loss will cause some lag in WOW, anything over 20% loss will cause major lag, and over 50% makes it unplayable

lazygit wrote:
    ping your accesspoint for a while and see how many packets its dropping. anything more than a 10% loss will cause some lag in WOW, anything over 20% loss will cause major lag, and over 50% makes it unplayable

Will do, when I get home. Cheers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I use a wireless router, but only have occassional problems.

I solved it by getting an umm what ya call it, oh aerial xD

Advertisement