Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless modem / PCMCIA card query.

Options
  • 11-10-2006 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I'm no technophobe but only just got home laptop and most of the my tech knowledge belongs in the last century. My query may be covered elsewhere, if so feel free to kick my ass in that direction, but I couldn't find it.

Mate of mine has bb with NTL, they supplied his wireless modem but no PCMCIA card (he says) as it appears it wasn't required.

I have the same laptop as his and have just ordered 2mb bb online with BT. Followed it up with a phone call to ensure they knew I existed. Phone monkey told me I need a wireless modem and also a PCMCIA card. Will someone please explain to me why I require both and the connection between them when my mate didn't? BT charging €40 each for them. Would I be better buying them myself, better price/spec etc? Also, I assumed it was the norm for someone to come out and do the install for you, turns out they charge €180 for an 'engineer' to do the installation. They conveniently didn't mention this anywhere in the ordering process so it'll be a self-install job... Bloody hell, I haven't even had bb installed yet and BT are already pi*sing me off :o

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Slutboy wrote:
    I'm no technophobe but only just got home laptop and most of the my tech knowledge belongs in the last century. My query may be covered elsewhere, if so feel free to kick my ass in that direction, but I couldn't find it.

Mate of mine has bb with NTL, they supplied his wireless modem but no PCMCIA card (he says) as it appears it wasn't required.

I have the same laptop as his and have just ordered 2mb bb online with BT. Followed it up with a phone call to ensure they knew I existed. Phone monkey told me I need a wireless modem and also a PCMCIA card. Will someone please explain to me why I require both and the connection between them when my mate didn't? BT charging €40 each for them. Would I be better buying them myself, better price/spec etc? Also, I assumed it was the norm for someone to come out and do the install for you, turns out they charge €180 for an 'engineer' to do the installation. They conveniently didn't mention this anywhere in the ordering process so it'll be a self-install job... Bloody hell, I haven't even had bb installed yet and BT are already pi*sing me off :o

Most recent laptops have wireless built in - an older laptop will require the pcmcia card or a usb wireless network dongle. If you have the same model as your friend and he doesnt need it then you both most likely have wireless built in - just make sure you switch it on when you finally get your problems sorted out.

All dsl isps quote self install afaik - it should be no problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

dub45 wrote:
    Most recent laptops have wireless built in - an older laptop will require the pcmcia card or a usb wireless network dongle. If you have the same model as your friend and he doesnt need it then you both most likely have wireless built in - just make sure you switch it on when you finally get your problems sorted out.

All dsl isps quote self install afaik - it should be no problem for you.

Many thanks for that. All is now clear....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Slutboy wrote:
    Many thanks for that. All is now clear....

You are very welcome - I also meant to suggest bringing you laptop to your friends house and giving it a check out.

Advertisement