Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't write to Program Files directory

• 11-10-2006 1:44pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭

I have a program files directory on my e:\ that I use to install most of my applications to as it is much larger than my c:\ partition.

However I cannot write or delete anything from this folder now, and I cannot open up applications I have been using for ages either, and this is how I noticed it. I have scanned my machine using Panda Titanium 2007, Adaware and AVG anti spyware, and nothing suspect shows up but I presume it is something malicious.

Has anyone got any ideas? It is only this directory that is giving me trouble and today is the first time this has shown up. I am logged in as the same profile I always use.

Win 2000 machine.

I have a hijcakthis log if anyone is sufficiently skilled to decode properly. From my limited experience of using hijack this everything look ok.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

More suited to the windows forum probably.

Are you logged in as an administrator? Has the computer been connected to a windows domain?

1 Can you write and execute from the root of the e: drive?
    2 Can you write, say a text file, to the root of the E:\program files directory?

If yes to 1 and no to 2, then have you checked the folders properties menu, security tab?

Are the checkboxes, that state which properties belong to which users, greyed out? (Indicates whether the permissions are inherited from the drive's permission set)
    Are the permissions for the computername\administrators group set to "full control" as they are by default?

If you click the "Advanced" button,
    at the bottom of the dialog, it says
    "inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects". Is there a check in this box.

Select the owner tab. Who is listed as the owner of the folder?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yep, I have checked all that, it is not a permissions thing. I am a more than proficient pc user, but this is frustrating me big time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Can you please verify that E: is not a CD drive?

Honestly though, I think you might get better advice in the Windows forum. I can move this there with a redirect if you want.

Ya that'd be cool ecksor, despite the smart ass bit :)

It is stopping me playing on PokerStars so this is of critical importance.

Edit: I copied files from it and i allows me to play on Stars which is good, but it is still annoying me.

I'm glad this was moved here ;)

Anyone at all got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Is it FAT32 or NTFS?

If NTFS can you boot up of an NTFS DOS disk and access the folder from DOS?

If you create a new user pop them into the admin group can you access it?

What's the error dom? "Access Denied" or?
    Can you access all other folders in the root of E:\ ?

More info Dom :)

Any reads:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does it happen in safe mode ?
    have you taken ownership of the folder
    have you messed around with "program files" in the registry or the environmental variable ?

how much free space in on E: ?

It is an NTFS partition. I can do anything I want to any other folders on my E:\. If I boot up in safe mode I can add or delete to my hearts content in there. I did this and uninstalled some programs from there in safe mode that weren't working and reinstalled them elsewhere. The error is just the bog standard 'Access Denied' jobby. The currently logged in user is the owner of the folder.

While in safe mode I renamed the folder and restarted as normal. It seemed ok, but then I noticed my internet connection was gone (probably a simple explanation for that, but I didn't pursue it). Also it would not let me rename the changed folder to the old name again. I could edit things in normal mode once the folder name was changed. It also would not let me create a new e:\Program Files directory. I went back in and changed it back to the old name under safe mode and have been just learning to live with it since as once I could install the programs I was having problems with elsewhere it is more of an annoyance than anything now, as well as the niggling doubt as to what else might have happened that I didn't notice.

Would there be any registry entries that might be controlling this? I tried to have a look but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack unless you know exactly what to look for, and I have not changed any settings in there.

Appreciate the replies lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Are you using same account in Safe mode as normal boot ??
    Sounds like corrupt profile, logon as different admin user, rename profile you normally use (i.e. administrator => administrator.old) then log back on with usual account and copy files and settings from renamed account back into new profile.

21/25

I am using same profile under safe mode, yes. I will try that anyhow.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, for some reason this is ok now. Damn computers.

Advertisement