Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford focus ticking over question

Options
  • 11-10-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 1.6 zetec focus(01) hatch, and Ive started noticing that when I have the car started but not moving, the engine sounds like its ticking over incorrectly, instead of having a steady rythm, the engine sounds like its gonna cut out but then picks up again. Sorry for rubbish explanation but does anyone know what could cause this? I should also point out that it doesnt seem to effect the car at all, doesnt cut out or anything, it just doesnt sound healthy.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Blown coil??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Thanks for quick reply jonny, if it is a blown coil, are they expensive to fix?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think the part is about 60-70 euro but I'm not too sure!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i had a coil go in a 99 focus, if it's that you should be seeing lower power at speed also and higher fuel consumption..
    you'd have to replace the coil pack altogether, think mine cost me 250 about 2 years back..

daveym, did your focus have the same symptoms as mine? ie sounded like it wasnt ticking over correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cold start valve? Could be a number of things. It's called an erratic tickover.

Get it plugged in to a suitable machine and diagnosed.

Henry, thanks for reply, so you think the best option is to bring it to a ford dealer and get it checked out? or do other places have machines that can do that sort of diagnosis?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Doesn't have to be a main dealer. Many good independents should be able to sort you out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

How does it run when started from cold, as in first ting in the morning or late at night, when you leave the restaraunt on a frosty night.

It shoudl run fast. If not I'd suspect teh auto-idle adjust valve., but it may not the the auto idle adjust is the problem but the engine temp sensor, ie it is telling the ECU the engine is warm, when not thus shuttign dowm the Auto Idle (AI) valve to the warm setting when it is in fact cold.

When it runs slow now doe it apear to be missing or mis-firing, rather than simply running slow. If missing, then look to the coil(s), if simply running slow (easy to check my dipping the throttle and it revs up normally), check the AI system OR the engine temp sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

You need to get to a garage, possibly a "main stealer"

Could be anything from a coil, to the air flow sensor, to the throttle body needing a clean.

Get it plugged in and it will tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

tw0nk wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a 1.6 zetec focus(01) hatch, and Ive started noticing that when I have the car started but not moving, the engine sounds like its ticking over incorrectly, instead of having a steady rythm, the engine sounds like its gonna cut out but then picks up again. Sorry for rubbish explanation but does anyone know what could cause this? I should also point out that it doesnt seem to effect the car at all, doesnt cut out or anything, it just doesnt sound healthy.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

its a defective coil, and will cause problems soon. I would suggest getting them sorted ASAP. when my misses bought hers new, sometimes the same thing would happen, then she cut out on the road!. They replaced the coils and it was fine. Its a problem with the coil provider i believe. Renault had the very same problem with the Megane. They had to change providors numberous times.

As far as I know the early focii had a rough idle problem. For some it was severe and resulted in stalling and they were recalled for maintenance.

I have a 00 and it does this from time to time. I don't think this is anything to be worried about, just a quirke with this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

ronoc wrote:
    As far as I know the early focii had a rough idle problem. For some it was severe and resulted in stalling and they were recalled for maintenance.

I have a 00 and it does this from time to time. I don't think this is anything to be worried about, just a quirke with this car.

Well we had the same Idle ronoc,and like you payed no heed. then the coil failed, and when the new coils went in, the idle was gone so therefore i made the assumption they were linked.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it has been really helpfull, this motors threads more than anymore on boards.ie is so helpfull and a wealth of knowledge. Im just after gettin home, so only readin replies now. I am going to bring car into ford garage next weekend as I want to get new wheel nuts too, the caps have fallen off mine and they are in bits! So I will get it checked out there when Im getting them. Thanks again for replies.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tw0nk wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies guys, it has been really helpfull, this motors threads more than anymore on boards.ie is so helpfull and a wealth of knowledge. Im just after gettin home, so only readin replies now. I am going to bring car into ford garage next weekend as I want to get new wheel nuts too, the caps have fallen off mine and they are in bits! So I will get it checked out there when Im getting them. Thanks again for replies.

as the guys above say, it does sound like the coil, mine idled funny, had less power at all revs and ate petrol...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

coil packs are notorious for giving trouble with focus'
    get it changed asap - you'll end up destroying your catalytic convertor

Advertisement