Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E46 Warning light

Options
  • 11-10-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi all,

A warning light has come on in my car (BMW 3-Series E46 00-reg). It is explained in the manual as:

"Engine - Exhaust emissions have deteriorated, please bring car to BMW Service"

The car is driving as normal. I'll probably bring it to a garage, but has anyone got any idea what might be wrong, and how much it will take to fix it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If its the Emissions light the Cat could be on the way out!! Only way of being 100% sure is getting it on the diagnostic machine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

That happened me a while ago on an E46 also, it turned out not to be with the engine at all but an electrical monitoring part. Was under warranty so I dont know what it would cost but labour would be no more than an hour to change it if this was it.

As mentioned only a diagnostic will tell for sure if its the engine or some clever electrical gizmo.

They did enquire if I let the tank run low frequetly as this can cause this particular fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

A Mate had the same problem with his 00 318ci, same problems as OP. I'll try find out what he had done. He got it sorted by changing some sensor and it's been fine since. He was full sure it was to do with driving wth a near empty tank as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

yep, seems like it might be one of two things, the sensor or the cat (I'm hoping the first one!).

Gonna bring it in to the garage anyway, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't rush into anything if they diagnose a problem, there are alternatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hi - the same exact thing happened me (along with a sporadic drop in power). I've an 01 320 with 77k on the clock.

I brought it to http://www.accarsales.com/ on the recommendation of a colleague, and they ran the diagnostics on it. It turned out to be a dodgy sensor in the engine intake (apparently these sensors can start to give problems at the mileage). I got them to replace it and the outlet at the same time, and the car's been perfect since. It cost around €400 but I'd say would have been closer to €600 if I'd gone to a main dealer.

If you're in the Dublin area, I'd recommend the boys (Alan and Richie) there, as they know their stuff and they do a good job.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'll second what Yazuka said about Al & Richie.

Advertisement