Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 Qualifiers - what did you really expect before it began?

• 11-10-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of the current feelings are down to our usual over-expectations on this current squad.
    After the WC06 qualifying nightmare, how did you honestly think we'd fare in the current Euro08 Campaign?
    Personally, I thought we wouldn't have a hope anyway, so I'm very detatched from the weekends result and tonights match.

How did you think we'd do in this campaign? 58 votes

I thought we'd top the group
    0% 0 votes
    I thought we'd clinch 2nd and qualify
    0% 0 votes
    We'd Battle hard but just fail to qualify (as usual)
    36% 21 votes
    Totally out of contention, but at least a "transition" would happen
    55% 32 votes
    We're doomed...
    8% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

To be honest I don't think its over expectation to think we could beat Cyprus. Not in my worst case scenario ponderings could i have forseen a 5-2 defeat. I don't think they're would have been too many people calling for the managers head if we had of failed to qualify, its the manner of our defeat last Saturday that has got so many peoples backs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I agree pighead, it was the ineptness of the teams performance on the night that was the most aggrivating thing.

I was expecting us to go close, and just miss out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Come third :) ,not be beaten 5-2 by a cyprus , see the team play like they gave a **** and have a clue what to do etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea i expected the usual dog fight and for us to narrowly miss out on 2nd
    with a draw away to Wales or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I expected us to get down to the last day with a chance of qualifying. At the end of the day, our players on paper are not far off the Czechs and at least as good as any bunch McCarthy had so we should be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I know what I DIDN'T expect - to get thrashed by Cyprus.

Under Stan I didn't expect to qualify, however under the right management I think we could have acheived qualification, but Delaney meant sure that wasn't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I thought we had a decent chance of second IF the first eleven stayed fit and unsuspended. Chance, though would be a fine thing and exactly the oppoiste has happened.

With more qualifying games, we need a squad, not just a team, and we don;t have that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Surely its not in the FAIs interest to keep failing to qualify for these tournaments.
    Delaney's gotta go, its jobs for the boys, thats the only reason Stan got the job, cos he was pally with Delaney

Bring back mick mccarthy, all is forgiven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

3rd -
    beating Cyprus and San Marino
    beating Slovakia and Wales at home
    and sneaking a draw with both Germany and Czech at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

To be more precise

I expected

2 wins against Cyprus and San Marino
    To beat Slovakia at home and draw away.
    To beat Wales at home and draw away
    To draw to Czech Rep away and home.
    To loose to Germany home and away.

That woulda given us 22 points a shout for 2nd place...

Wudda, cudda, shudda............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Given our track record in recent years it's hard to 'expect' anything, but I was certainly hopeful. I felt that we could pip a slightly ageing Czech Republic side to 2nd spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

didnt get my hopes up, thought we would be battling with the czrcks and slovakia for 2nd, now, 4th is as good as we can aim for at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thought this would be an interesting thread to bring back up.
    Note the poll results...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yeah it seems that most peoples predictions were spot on.

Before the qualifying campaign began, I knew Germany would top the group, but I actually thought that we would challenge the Czechs right down to the wire and miss out on goal difference or something like that. I guess I gave Stan too much credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

IMHO the FAI showed their ambition when they put Stan in charge, I knew we were shagged (but I was hoping to be proved wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Raekwon wrote:
    Yeah it seems that most peoples predictions were spot on.

Except for the "battle hard" bit. We no more battled hard! If we had really put in effort, played to our potential and still not made it, i'd have no complaints, but we didn't. Germany and the Czechs are probably better then us, but Cyprus and Slovakia certainly aren't, and thats 5 very important points lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Except for the "battle hard" bit.

Yeah very true, sorry for excluding that part.

The 5 points that we dropped against Cyprus and Slovakia were shocking, but above all our performances have been abysmal. We showed no desire or passion throughout the whole campaign and this was highlighted in the embarrassing away matches against Cyprus and San Marino. The fans deserve much better then this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

didn't really expect to qualify, especially with germany and the czech rep. in our group and choice of manager. but we've lost or drawn games we shouldn't have, cyprus and slovakia. even wales were able to beat them 5-2 in slovakia. against the 2 top teams we haven't done bad. we just let ourselves down ingames we should have done better in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

To be more precise

I expected

I couldn't have said it better. I thought we'd have learned from WC qualifiers on 'how not to give up late goals', but we didn't.

And how can you lose to Cyprus? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

To be more precise

I expected

Spot on there weathercheck!

I thought we had a good enough squad to put up a decent fight for 2nd place. It was a given that Germany would top the group. I could deal with not qualifying as long as we had beaten the teams we should have beaten.

Losing to Cyprus, draw with Slovakia and narrowly beating San Marino were not part of the plan. Had we got results there and not qualified for some reason then so be it. It would have still been disappointing but at least we'd have our heads held high.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement