Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics forum taking itself too seriously

Options
  • 11-10-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055001036

in this thread on post 12 I think oscarbravo interjects...,

helter suggested a perfectly reasonable question about what the gardai have been saying and what happening sure didn't RTE spend half of yesterday and this morning going on about the delay in the press conference etc...

in a way helter was only parapharsing what newstalk106 said, speculation but reasonable with the confusion, and less definite then the congratulatery title...
    mods and non-mods demanding people edit their posts is the wrong way to go, counterpointing them and correcting them argueing, discussing definitly but not editing posts all day long.

when did the mods on the policitics forum become the arbiters of truth above and beyond this message board

if it was consistant I wouldn't complain. Loads of similar things are let passed everyday which means the the things that get picked up are only the things that the mods happening to read and happen disagree with personally.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I don't see the problem. oscarBravo intervened to point out that libel is not allowed/advocated in any way on boards.

What exactly is the problem with that?

Newstalk have very carefully circumvented direct libel but helter specifically used the word "lying".

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

helter suggested a perfectly reasonable question about what the gardai have been saying and what happening sure didn't RTE spend half of yesterday and this morning going on about the delay in the press conference etc...
    HelterSkelter explicitly accused the Gardaí of lying. This is in contravention of the forum charter, unless it can be clearly demonstrated that they knew what they said to be false.
    mods and non-mods demanding people edit their posts is the wrong way to go, counterpointing them and correcting them argueing, discussing definitly but not editing posts all day long.
    I didn't ask him to edit it. I asked him to back up his assertion or retract it. He retracted it. What's the problem, exactly?
    if it was consistant I wouldn't complain. Loads of similar things are let passed everyday which means the the things that get picked up are only the things that the mods happening to read and happen disagree with personally.
    I'm not aware of all that many unsupported accusations of lying. If I see them, I challenge them. If I don't see them, I rely on others to report them, which they sometimes do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Not to put to fine a point on it Lost, but those kind of comments have gotten boards in its current trouble with a certain company. The mods do have to be careful.

Loads of similar things are let passed everyday which means the the things that get picked up are only the things that the mods happening to read and happen disagree with personally.
    And how many of these supposed things that happen every day including things that we supposedly disagree with personally have you reported??

Lets see,I'll have a quick scan through my inbox,lets take a random 10 days...as its happening every day...Ah hell lets take the last 30 days...

It's happening every day like.... so lets see

please wait a moment whilst I check...

/checking...

/checking...

Adding...

0+0+0=0

Ah I see none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Internet libel is a growing industry. The mods are totally within their rights (in fact they are obliged) to remove asap potentially libelous material. Some such material can of course be posted in innocence as the poster may not realise that what he/she is saying can be defamatory. Whenever a message is edited by a mod as a matter of curtesy the poster should be told by PM why the post was edited and in what way.

Within the politics board you can understand that people can get very passionate about what they are saying and their beliefs. If you were to say the same thing on, eg, The Vincent Browne Radio show, it's live and a retraction or apology made either during broadcast is neccessary. In a message board is is neccessary for the mods to remove as quickly as they can such material to establish a defence of innocent publication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

when did the mods on the policitics forum become the arbiters of truth above and beyond this message board

They didn't.

However, since pretty-much day 1, Politics has been a forum which has insisted on the distinction being made between "I disagree that what you say is true" and "you're a liar".

Its a distinction that, in my experience, seems to be slowly disappearing in the world today. Factual incorrectness is being gradually more and more associated with lying.

Personally, I applaud the mods for widening the scope, so that its no longer just accusations of lying by other posters that is not accepted, but accusations of lying by anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Tristrame wrote:
    And how many of these supposed things that happen every day including things that we supposedly disagree with personally have you reported??

Lets see,I'll have a quick scan through my inbox,lets take a random 10 days...as its happening every day...Ah hell lets take the last 30 days...

It's happening every day like.... so lets see

please wait a moment whilst I check...

/checking...

/checking...

Adding...

0+0+0=0

Ah I see none.

thas because I don't believe they need to be reported just challenge in thread, thas my point.

so tell us any threats of libel action over things said in the thunderdome?

When we see a court case of "popebenny16 -v- Derekp11 & Boards.ie Ltd". ? EG, if you use an alias here how would that alias' reputation be lowered in the eyes of right thinking members of society? That's not how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

thas because I don't believe they need to be reported just challenge in thread, thas my point.
    Well consider yourself informed that on a busy board,action(if deemed necessary) will be taken if a post is reported.The Reporter mightnt necessarally agree with the action if any though.
    Expecting action on a random post in the middle of all the rest of the noise on the off chance that a busy mod might see it,is unrealistic.
    You'd want to take that up with the admins.
    However given that they are currently grappling with legal action mentioned on stickies across every forum,I'd advise that you dont make light of this.

You are here by the good graces of the site that the admins have put together and the mods help to run.
    By and large they do a damn good job on a voluntary basis.
    Please respect that-thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That assumes that we the mods read everything. We don't. We could make the forums pre-moderated which means that nothing will be put up on the site without us ok'ing it. I somehow feel you wouldn't like that either. Instead we treat you like responsible adults and expect you to conduct yourselves like such.

If you see something untoward on the forum then as a member of the community you should report it, rather than wait around and then start off a little rant in here when you feel we are being too "big brother" like.

And that has exactly what to do with your problem with Politics.

The current situation is not the first time this board has been threatened with legal action and I fear it won't be the last.

I respect the fact you have posted here in feedback and that you do care enough about the board that you feel this should be highlighted but unfortunately these days we do have to be very careful about what is being said here and in some cases we do have to remove or edit comments that could land this community into hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I knew that a forum would one day become sentient. I JUST DIDN'T THINK IT WOULD BE POLITICS!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

amp wrote:
    I knew that a forum would one day become sentient. I JUST DIDN'T THINK IT WOULD BE POLITICS!!!!!1
    Everything was going fine till it dropped the hand on me. Er, allegedly.

On a serious note, what gandalf said.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

sceptre wrote:
    Everything was going fine till it dropped the hand on me. Er, allegedly.
    Not true, I saw the whole thing. That was the LGB forum that you were getting stuck into, the Politics forum was in the private area with the Legal Discussion forum at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Slutty, slutty fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gandalf wrote:
    Instead we treat you like responsible adults and expect you to conduct yourselves like such.

That never works, just look at any democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

nesf wrote:
    That never works, just look at any democracy.

Ah but we are not a democracy here now are we :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

gandalf wrote:

plotthickensc6b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gandalf wrote:

Yeah and with good cause tbh ;)

But I want to be able to call ******** ******** a total ****** and get away with it.

As for Boards not allowing our freedom of speech what about this vague reference to the Constitution that I'm thinking about posting, perhaps backed up by a quote from wakipedia which I've just edited myself, or some cry-baby observations?

Advertisement