Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save in DOS - help

Options
  • 11-10-2006 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    any of you know how to save a file in DOS? any commands?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Bit more explanation?

Do you mean something like.

echo Hello World! > helloworld.txt

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You can redirect output for many programs much like you can in Linux, if thats what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

C:\>copy con: temp.txt
    this is a test
    ^Z
    1 file(s) copied.

C:\>more temp.txt
    this is a test

Is that what you are looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

I have a file that I am editing. Its a long story but I want to write a batch file that when run, saves the file I am editing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭realblackstuff

That would only work from within the Editor (just hit File/Save or /Save as..) , because that file is in memory while you work at it!
    That batch would only save the status of that file BEFORE you opened it for editing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, off the top of my head, I can confidently say that we're going to need to hear that long story if you want help. What kind of an editor comes without a saving option anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

For a start, it might be helpful if you name the editor you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think if you get some decent editor it will autosave for your.

Try..

notepad+
    ultraedit
    jext

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You don't open a file in DOS, therefore you can't save a file in DOS. DOS is just an operating system that lets you run programs. You open files with a program that runs in the DOS operating system, and you need to use that program to save the file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Werl, actually, the program uses DOS to open the file. That's what an operating system is for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

True*, but from the users perspective, and in relation to the OPs query, it's the program that opens/saves files.

*With DOS programs could directly access the hard disks, bypassing DOS and reading/writing files themselves.

Advertisement