Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

summons

Options
  • 11-10-2006 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

a (foolish) relative parked in a bus stop last april and got a ticket. he completely neglected to pay it and got a summons in the post today. understanding that there is a BIG arguement to throw the book at him, what do you all think the chances of weasling out of it are???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on where he lives, if he lives in an apartment complex, he could argue that his mail got stolen and he never received the ticket....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

the ticket was on the windscreen when he returned to the car. would it be followed up with one through the post?? if not, i've often thought a decent childish prank would be take someones ticket from their windscreen for the larf......but i suppose that's just too far fetched to be believed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There will be no weaseling out of it. If they don't appear in court, the fine will be issued anyway. After that a garda will appear at the door some evening looking for the money.

About 5 years ago I had my morning in court for the exact same thing (parked in a bus-stop, forgot to pay fine). £100 fine and my name in the local paper. Going on the size of the headline (on page 4) you'd swear I had been robbing banks! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote:
    There will be no weaseling out of it. If they don't appear in court, the fine will be issued anyway. After that a garda will appear at the door some evening looking for the money.

About 5 years ago I had my morning in court for the exact same thing (parked in a bus-stop, forgot to pay fine). £100 fine and my name in the local paper. Going on the size of the headline (on page 4) you'd swear I had been robbing banks! :o

I assume it was a local " xxxx echo" type paper and not the examiner or the herald?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

forgive my naivity but is there some kind of conviction involved or is it just a mechanism for extracting the fine?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    I assume it was a local " xxxx echo" type paper and not the examiner or the herald?:)

Yeah, readership of only about 25,000.

There is no conviction. It's purely a way of getting you to pay for something you shouldn't have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

contact the person who issued the ticket - happened me a few years ago and they let me sort it out before the court date (it was for a speeding ticket a million years ago). Garda went in and just said "all sorted, judge"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wag

JHMEG wrote:
    Yeah, readership of only about 25,000.

There is no conviction. It's purely a way of getting you to pay for something you shouldn't have done.

they rely on you to admit the offence.
    ignore the ticket and any correspondence up to the court hearing.
    then send letter into court saying you know nothing about it, but you must include some very important quotes. you can look these up in search engine for the part of the uk you committed the offence.
    just remember not to admit the offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

eh you do realise this is mainly a site frequented by irish people ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wag wrote:
    ignore the ticket and any correspondence up to the court hearing.
    then send letter into court saying you know nothing about it, but you must include some very important quotes. you can look these up in search engine for the part of the uk you committed the offence.
    just remember not to admit the offence.
    A sample perhaps?

• Advertisement

wag wrote:
    they rely on you to admit the offence..

No they don't! I had the judge rant on at me for a few seconds, and then he dished out the fine! All I got to say was "ok" at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

wag wrote:
    Not in this country. Failure to defend yourself means that you'll be found guilty, and the fine issued in your absence. If you ignore the fine, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the "innocent until proven guilty except if you are driving" part of our constitution
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Ring the Garda, and tell him you missed it because you were breaking up with your wife / girlfriend, were tied up in all that stuff, and think there may have been a mixup or whatever. You're terribly sorry, and wish to pay the fine ASAP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

cantdecide wrote:
    i've often thought a decent childish prank would be take someones ticket from their windscreen for the larf......but i suppose that's just too far fetched to be believed

Its not a funny thing to do to some one but I have seen it happen. Idiot friends of mine have done it to random cars.

Advertisement