Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lancet reports Iraq war claims over 650,000 lives

Options

Comments

bonkey wrote:
    Who knows, indeed. Speculation doesn't mitigate the death-toll in Iraq. For all we know, had the US not gone into Iraq, but instead had focussed their 1-billion-a-day budget over the past several years at actually finding and targetting Al Qaeda, who knows what woul dhave happened either. Maybe both American and Iraqi lives would have been saved.

This is all the type of stuff my sig refers to. What would have happened doesn't matter because we simply don't know. What we do know is what was chosen to be done, and what occurred as a result. Thus, we know a cost of the chosen path. We do not know the costs of paths we didn't choose.

Thus, the cost in Iraqi lives cannot be rightly compared to what might have resulted had other paths been chosen. It certainly can't be justified on any "someone else would probably have died anyway, so why focus on the Iraqis" reasoning.
    I think the essense of this part of the discussion lies in attitudes to learning from mistakes.Clearly Iraq was and is a mistake,not solely on the grounds of the civil war its caused,the open invite to alqueda to use Iraq as a staging ground, and the damage its done to America's more favourable clinton years reputation.I'm not making a point against that.I simply made the point to "FYI"(and I'm fleshing it a bit more here) that following on from his point is the assumption that if there had been no invasion of Iraq, the war by Alqueda wouldnt just have stopped.
    It's a fair assumption that most of the foreign insurgents now in Iraq would be concentrating their anti U.S spree in Afghanistan and elsewhere with I think a legitimately arguable comparable death toll in non Iraqi lives,U.S lives or totally innocent by standers.
    Alqueda certainly had the form for that.
    I'd suggest you look at the frequency of international terrorist attacks against the United States on its home soil for a time-period of 5-10 years before 9/11. I seriously doubt you will find that its worse than the post-9/11 world.
    Yes but I dont think there were any attacks in the UK or Spain at all in that period.My point being that AQ are onto the softer targets now.
    As a parallel, consider that the US hasn't had a major hurricane-based disaster since Katrina. Does this suggest that FEMA is doing a better job than before?
    I dont think you can fairly compare the frequency of natural phenomena to man made terrorism.One is totally random whereas the other is totally elective.
    You can of course compare them on a purely statistical level in terms of the level of occurances but its like chalk and cheese.
    If Hurricanes on the scale of Katrina were elective, then we could make a comparable judgement on Fema.
    Fema's decisions and its masters are elective of course but their job depends on something random whereas security forces jobs don't.
    We're still waiting on the random weather event to judge Fema.
    I appreciate that you might be using that comparison to allude to comparing the known to the unknown though which in itself is a fair point.
    We never could know. Agreed.

So all we can say is that we've traded an alleged 650,000 Iraqi deaths against, well, something.

So remind me again why you asked why the undefined something isn't as important as the Iraqi deaths.
    Ok,I'll remind you in Italic from earlier in my post but I'll add a caveat again to the end of it: "I simply made the point to "FYI"(and I'm fleshing it a bit more here) that following on from his point is the assumption that if there had been no invasion of Iraq, the war by Alqueda wouldnt just have stopped.
    It's a fair assumption that most of the foreign insurgents now in Iraq would be concentrating their anti U.S spree in Afghanistan and elsewhere with I think a legitimately arguable comparable death toll in non Iraqi lives,non U.S lives and totally innocent lives
    "
    In saying that,I'm not justifying it,I'm just pointing out the unreasonableness in my opinion of expecting anything other than a similar outcome but on a different stage and ergo I posed the question that I did to "FYI"
    No doubt that stage would have plenty of detractors aswell but it was always the more logical stage for the war on terror to be waged.
    Exactly. So we can't equate the cost of the invasion against the cost that we don't know would have been incurred by not invading.

So we shouldn't consider other lvies that Al Qaeda might have taken had Iraq not been such a tempting target for them, because that doesn't meet your criteria for what is comparable.

Agreed?
    I couldnt agree with that simply because,it assumes that we cannot expect less non Iraqi lives would be lost because we cant in fact say that the war if waged in Afghanistan would have been less intense.

In other words what I'm saying is,I think its unrealistic to suggest that if the coalition had concentrated their war where it was more logical for them to be concentrating it that there would be less than an equivalent number of lives lost.I'd have to expect the war there and its results to be more intense than it has been.
    I know your position is,we cant compare the known to the unknown and thats the position I've stated aswell but I fall back on the caveat again.
    We equally in my view shouldnt be making an expectation that the likes of AQ wouldnt be busying themselves on whatever stage the coalition was on especially in Taliban territory.It stands to reason that activists if not in Iraq would be where the action is/was.

All that said,I think I know your answer and probably FYI's answer despite our interesting discussion and fleshing out of opinions on it.
    It's just our opinions on expectations seem to be different and consequently we end up with larger differences when we've done some adding and subtracting with them.

(sorry about the corny methaphors in my last sentence there,I just know you're a mathematician at heart and couldnt resist :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭FYI

"Clearly Iraq was and is a mistake,not solely on the grounds of the civil war its caused,the open invite to alqueda to use Iraq as a staging ground"

The outcome we are witnessing was predicted before the war. This was not a mistake. Perhaps mistakes were made. The war itself was not a mistake.

"It's a fair assumption that most of the foreign insurgents now in Iraq would be concentrating their anti U.S spree in Afghanistan and elsewhere with I think a legitimately arguable comparable death toll in non Iraqi lives,U.S lives or totally innocent by standers."

Foreign insurgents make up approx 10% of the insurgency. The 1st Iraq war was cited as one of the principal reasons for the attack of 9/11. The present war has created terrorists that would normally not have been, the leaked report testifies to this.

While Bush etc have said they are bringing the fight to them, he has recognised Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11 and only a tenuous link to the War on Terror.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the gist of your argument is this: Why continually harp on about Iraqi deaths caused by Al Qeada (though if you read the report, foreign fighters are not the principal perpetrators, or even close to being so) when, if they weren’t killing people there, they would be killing unfortunates elsewhere.

Now, there are a quite a few different reasons why your argument is false, but I’ll focus on a few uncontroversial facts. First, Al Qeada is not so much an organisation, but a shared ideology. Second, all foreign fighters in Iraq do not all fall under the heading Al Qeada operatives. Third, many of these foreign fighters were ‘awakened’ by the illegal and brutal occupation of Iraq. Fourth, the insurgency is a resistance. Fifth, the Iraqi people are completely innocent of the crimes Al Qeada accuses its targets (some Western countries) of, focusing Al Qeada aggression against a civilian population is a crime the coalition are guilty of (if it can be demonstrated they knew this would happen, and we do know they were privy to the same information you and I were, so there is good reason to believe they knew it would attract this attention, and Bush has said it!). Sixth, since foreign fighters are not responsible for most of the deaths, we can assume the insurgency and the coalition troops are responsible, since the insurgency is a product of the occupation, the occupiers are responsible for causing these deaths. See my previous posts on International crimes (and all those within).

Hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis does not equate to thousands of Western lives saved. And even if it did, your question would still be absurd.

You are asking the wrong question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tristrame wrote:
    Yes but I dont think there were any attacks in the UK or Spain at all in that period.

Not international terrorism, no, just the IRA, ETA and so on.

The point I ws criticising is the notion that the US security policy is attributable to the lack of attacks since 911, when the reality is that there has never been a pattern of attacks in the first place.
    My point being that AQ are onto the softer targets now.
    I disagree. England and Spain have had decades of dealing with terrorist attacks. The US doesn't.

Only yesterday we saw just how proof buildings in New York are against planes, and I learned from watching the coverage that small planes can fly up and down the Hudson, below 1000 feet without being obligated to maintain radio or other contact with anyone.

The US ports are a security disaster. Always have been. That this hasn't been exploited (or isn't known to have been exploited isn't anything to do with it not being a soft target.

The simple truth is that large-scale terrorist attacks are few and far between anyway.
    I dont think you can fairly compare the frequency of natural phenomena to man made terrorism.One is totally random whereas the other is totally elective.
    The point I'm making is that a lack of re-occurrence of something that hasn't been established as a frequent occurrence in the first place is meaningless.

If terrorist attacks worldwide had gone down, we could conclude that global terrorism was on the wane. If worlwide sales of arms slump, we can conclude that the war on guns (were there to be one) was working.

But looking at a nation which has had exactly one significant external attack since the end of ww2, and concluding that a lack of reoccurrence in 5 years for something that happened once in 50 years is somehow significant is a completely different ballgame.
    You can of course compare them on a purely statistical level in terms of the level of occurances but its like chalk and cheese.
    No, its not.

From our perspective and the amount of information we have available to us, we can model absolutely nothnig about the reasons why mainland US would be chosen as a terrorist target.

From that perspective, any model of how often the US should get attacked would be even less certain than a model of how often the US should get hit by natural disaster.

And yet, you'll argue that the one we can put a statistical likelihood on is a random act of nature, and appear to be implying that the one we cannot put a statistical likelihod on is more predictable, as you seem to be arguing that the reasons for it not reoccurring can be somehow determined or assigned.
    Ok,I'll remind you in Italic from earlier in my post but I'll add a caveat again to the end of it: "I simply made the point to "FYI"(and I'm fleshing it a bit more here) that following on from his point is the assumption that if there had been no invasion of Iraq, the war by Alqueda wouldnt just have stopped.
    I've accepted that.
    It's a fair assumption that most of the foreign insurgents now in Iraq would be concentrating their anti U.S spree in Afghanistan and elsewhere
    Again, accepted.
    with I think a legitimately arguable comparable death toll in non Iraqi lives,non U.S lives and totally innocent lives
    Do you believe that the equivalent of a 911 disaster would have been the result every 10 days had the US not gone into Iraq? That the continuing war on Al Qaeda would have resulted in approximately 300 people a day, every day, being killed from then to now?

If not, then its not a legitimatly arguably comparable death-toll.

I would suggest that a good way of estimating this would be to look at the average death tolls of:

1) Al Qaeda operations in the 5 years prior to 911
    2) Al Qaeda operations subsequent to 911, and prior to the invasion of Iraq
    3) Al Qaeda operations outside Iraq since the invasion.

Taking the Lancet fiugures, and adding them to the third of th eabove figures, do you expect we will see an increase or decrease from teh second and first figures?

I accept we're both guessing here, but I'm trying to say that I do not believe that there is any strong justification to suggest Al Qaeda could have managed that level of sustained desrruction especially considering that they are not considered to be the main faction in Iraq.

My guess is that you'd find that figures 1, 2 and 3 above are actually fairly close to each other. Indeed, figure 3 may indeed by the highest of the three and thats before we add in an almost-weekly 911 to the mix.
    I'm just pointing out the unreasonableness in my opinion of expecting anything other than a similar outcome but on a different stage
    Ask yourself why teh Bush administration has a major problem with a number like the one published if they could seriously explain it away by showing that statistically things haven't really gotten a hell of a lot worse.
    and ergo I posed the question that I did to "FYI"
    You can stop pointing out to me that you were asking someone else. Seriously...I get that. However, this isn't a one-on-one forum and I disagree with the reasoning underlying your question. Do I not have as equal a right to point that out and question you on it as you do to question FYI?
    No doubt that stage would have plenty of detractors aswell but it was always the more logical stage for the war on terror to be waged.
    Which was? The invasion of another country? I would have argued that going to war with another nation was never the logical way to deal with terrorism, given that terrorism isn't a nation-on-nation problem.

I agree that any approach would have its detractors. That doesn't make tehm all equal though.
    In other words what I'm saying is,I think its unrealistic to suggest that if the coalition had concentrated their war where it was more logical for them to be concentrating it that there would be less than an equivalent number of lives lost.
    So if they had gone to war with terrorism without actaully invading any countries but instead putting the money into intellgience, security, international co-operation, and funding the costs of a changed international policy....you believe that 300 people a day every day would still have died?

Bear in mind that the figure frmo the Lancet is extra mortality, not total mortality, so we can't just talk about how many people were dying under Saddam. Also bear in mind that this study also doesn't look at Afghanistan, so the death-count there isn't taken into account.

If you still believe it to be true, then you still believe it to be true. Its speculative and I certainly can't prove you wrong. What I can say is that I'm pretty sure that it would be seen as a last-gasp excuse for the US Administration to say "yeah, well, half a million isn't so bad cause Al Qaeda and ourselves would have done in that many between us in the same time-period no matter what we did".
    I know your position is,we cant compare the known to the unknown and thats the position I've stated aswell but I fall back on the caveat again.
    You say its your position, but you also keep maknig these comparisons about what you believe would have happened had the US not gone into Iraq. How is that not comparing the known and the unknown?

The simple reality is that even if we accept that it mightn't have been any different, the US never claimed to be going into Iraq just to shift the nationality of the dead. They never claimed that as things have progressed, they've managed to tread water. No, they say they went in there to fix things, that they've done so without significant casualties, and that its getting better every day. This paper, if even reasonably accurate (if its no more than, say, quadruple the actual figures) puts an enormous shadow over such statements.
    We equally in my view shouldnt be making an expectation that the likes of AQ wouldnt be busying themselves on whatever stage the coalition was on especially in Taliban territory.It stands to reason that activists if not in Iraq would be where the action is/was.
    I believe I did state at the outset that the alterantive to not going to war was not to do nothing. I'm making no exception. I'm assuming that if the US hadn't spent a billion a day in Iraq, they could have spent up to a billion a day dealing with Al Qaeda differently - without going to war anywhere.
    It's just our opinions on expectations seem to be different and consequently we end up with larger differences when we've done some adding and subtracting with them.
    My opinion is that the US need to explain either why a figure 13 times larger then their own estimates is not credible, or why its acceptable. I do not believe they can, and I believe that they would run a mile before trying a "well, you know. that many probably would have died somewhere else, so lets not get too concerned" line.

It is undeniable that terrorism worlwide has gotten worse since the US went into Iraq. Every metric available backs this up. To suggest that it has been a successful limiting exercise seems untenable to me.
    (sorry about the corny methaphors in my last sentence there,I just know you're a mathematician at heart and couldnt resist :D)

Touche :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

FYi,i'd have to take issue with you placing blame for the all the deaths in Iraq squarely on the Coalition forces.The majority of killings taking place at the moment and in the past were perpetrated by various Iraqi factions,often on civilians.These people are responsible for their actions,as individuals and as a group.

Would they (insurgents, foreign fighters) be doing that if the US and Coalition forces had not pre-emptively invaded Iraq? The answer is no. Yes people would have been oppressed and tortured but nowhere near current levels. The US and coalition occupation of Iraq is far far WORSE than Saddams brutal dictatorship. Why? Because the US and coalition arrogantly and negligently ignored ALL warnings from thinktanks, ex diplomats, experts, etc.

"Kick Saddams ass and grab the gas", was quite obviously the only WELL THOUGHT OUT objective of "operation Iraqi Freedom".

The media was manipulated, the world's population was lied to, the war was illegal, premptive, rushed. The postwar effort was botched. The morality of it was lost, power and reason went to terrorists and insurgents because of this.

The rightwing warhawks have had their 5 years of war.. anything solved yet? anything better? whats changed? .. this is whats changed a report coming out stating 650,000 have died barely raises an eyebrow in the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Frederico wrote:
    Yes people would have been oppressed and tortured but nowhere near current levels.
    I hate to point this out but Saddam kept the various islamic fundamentalist factions in their box. The invasion let them out and now some of them are in government and others are running around blowing people up and chopping heads off. Fantastic result.

What do the clowns who supported the war have to say about this? Not a lot apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Frederico wrote:
    Would they (insurgents, foreign fighters) be doing that if the US and Coalition forces had not pre-emptively invaded Iraq? The answer is no.

I think the better answer is 'not as soon.'

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I'm being drawn to the Balkans/Yugoslavia. A relatively autocratic state held together predominantly by one man's strong rule over several decades. When that one man died, the country turned against itself along sectarian lines, and even foreign military intervention didn't do that great a job of stopping it. I believe it brought the term 'ethnic cleansing' into common use?

Maybe after Saddam died of natural causes, power would have transferred to his cousin/brother/boyfriend/whoever-he-handpicked. Perhaps that rule might have been peaceful-ish as well, but I don't think that the underlying.. well, I'll say incompatibility... between the groups would have vanished.

Whilst the invasion and subsequent questionable initial administration are certainly the catalyst for the current shennanigans, I would not go as far as to say that they are the cause. This is just Sunni and Shia slugging it out between each other while the Kurds sit back and laugh, and the rest of the world looks on either impotently (if they're in Iraq), or washes their hands saying 'Well, we didn't do it.'

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Whilst the invasion and subsequent questionable initial administration are certainly the catalyst for the current shennanigans, I would not go as far as to say that they are the cause. This is just Sunni and Shia slugging it out between each other while the Kurds sit back and laugh, and the rest of the world looks on either impotently (if they're in Iraq), or washes their hands saying 'Well, we didn't do it.'

NTM

Actually there is some evidence that the US and British forces fomented sectarian violence.

bonkey wrote:
    The point I ws criticising is the notion that the US security policy is attributable to the lack of attacks since 911, when the reality is that there has never been a pattern of attacks in the first place.
    Doesnt that presuppose though Al Queda couldnt be bothered or arent trying now that they are suffeciently bothered abroad? Or is it that you think that it takes greater than 6 years planning to attack the U.S?
    I disagree. England and Spain have had decades of dealing with terrorist attacks. The US doesn't.
    I'm suggesting there must be a reason why the U.S is not as easy a target or not getting done more frequently.I mean why bother blow up trains and busses in London when doing so in New york would be a bigger more hitting home target?
    Only yesterday we saw just how proof buildings in New York are against planes, and I learned from watching the coverage that small planes can fly up and down the Hudson, below 1000 feet without being obligated to maintain radio or other contact with anyone.

The US ports are a security disaster. Always have been. That this hasn't been exploited (or isn't known to have been exploited isn't anything to do with it not being a soft target.

The simple truth is that large-scale terrorist attacks are few and far between anyway.
    But equally that could be down to crime prevention that we dont hear about.The every day work of police or security investigations arent made public usually.
    The point I'm making is that a lack of re-occurrence of something that hasn't been established as a frequent occurrence in the first place is meaningless.
    I dont think its meaningless at all.I just think the lack of activity is as likely to be symptomatic of a good coping with a rising problem of Islamic terrorism.I'd have to suggest that it has risen to a much more problematic level in the last 2 decades than in the total of the last 5.
    But looking at a nation which has had exactly one significant external attack since the end of ww2, and concluding that a lack of reoccurrence in 5 years for something that happened once in 50 years is somehow significant is a completely different ballgame.
    But thats assuming all other things are equal and they are not.If you were to divide the total level of AlQueda "píssed off-ness" that there is today by those 50 years,you'd soon see that the period is very front end weighted.Ergo I'd contend that going back 50 years to look at the incidents of Islamic hatrid attacks on America is actually the meaningless thing to do.It seems logical that Alqueda are more fired up, angry, motivated and recruited now then ever compared to even the 5 years prior to 911.
    So looking at the years prior to 911 when looking at the threat of terrorism would not be the same as the years after 911 when looking at the threat of terrorism in my view. I cannot fathom how they could be like and like.
    No, its not.

From our perspective and the amount of information we have available to us, we can model absolutely nothnig about the reasons why mainland US would be chosen as a terrorist target.

From that perspective, any model of how often the US should get attacked would be even less certain than a model of how often the US should get hit by natural disaster.

And yet, you'll argue that the one we can put a statistical likelihood on is a random act of nature, and appear to be implying that the one we cannot put a statistical likelihod on is more predictable, as you seem to be arguing that the reasons for it not reoccurring can be somehow determined or assigned.
    Well to the best of my knowledge,however difficult it may be,it is possible to quell terrorism but its not possible to quell the force of the weather.
    what I was talking about was comparing the consequenses and reactions to the unquellable with the quellable.

Do you believe that the equivalent of a 911 disaster would have been the result every 10 days had the US not gone into Iraq? That the continuing war on Al Qaeda would have resulted in approximately 300 people a day, every day, being killed from then to now?

If not, then its not a legitimatly arguably comparable death-toll.

I would suggest that a good way of estimating this would be to look at the average death tolls of:

1) Al Qaeda operations in the 5 years prior to 911
    2) Al Qaeda operations subsequent to 911, and prior to the invasion of Iraq
    3) Al Qaeda operations outside Iraq since the invasion.
    No,I think you've picked me up wrong.
    I was saying that it would be logical to assume that the coalition could have thrown the effort it has in Iraq onto Afghanistan and that Alqueda would throw the same resources that they are using now at whoever in Iraq and elsewhere onto the coalition forces in Afghanistan and ultimately its surrounds.
    You can stop pointing out to me that you were asking someone else. Seriously...I get that. However, this isn't a one-on-one forum and I disagree with the reasoning underlying your question. Do I not have as equal a right to point that out and question you on it as you do to question FYI?
    In fairness now bonkey,I got the distinct impression that you had misunderstood the point that I was making and you did ask me to repeat it.
    The purpose of this discussion is discussion and at no point was I ever or would I ever say hey I'm not discussing it with you.I thought you would have seen that :)
    That said,my only reason in repeating that I made the point to " FYI" ( apart from you asking me to repeat myself ;) ) was to emphasise that it was a point independent of who was involved in the war.It was a statement by me of an opinion that this would be going on elsewhere simply because the main players were engaged.It's without doubt of the making of the U.S that the main stage is in Iraq of course.
    Which was? The invasion of another country? I would have argued that going to war with another nation was never the logical way to deal with terrorism, given that terrorism isn't a nation-on-nation problem.
    Personally I'd have found it difficult to disagree with the logic of going after the Taliban as a major step in defeating AlQueda.

So if they had gone to war with terrorism without actaully invading any countries but instead putting the money into intellgience, security, international co-operation, and funding the costs of a changed international policy....you believe that 300 people a day every day would still have died?
    That question is not related at all to the position I was putting.The fact of the matter is that the coalition diverted their resources away from Afhanistan and into Iraq for their own reasons.Yes I do believe that if the same effort was put into the war there by both sides as the combined effort now in Iraq and Afghanistan,that the anarchy and death toll would be comparable.I've no reason to believe that the coalitions opponents efforts/numbers would be any less or that the war wouldnt regretably spread into neighbouring countries like pakistan.
    You say its your position, but you also keep maknig these comparisons about what you believe would have happened had the US not gone into Iraq. How is that not comparing the known and the unknown?
    It's a realistic expectation given the known ( I'm starting to sound like you know who...bangs head :D ).
    I believe I did state at the outset that the alterantive to not going to war was not to do nothing. I'm making no exception. I'm assuming that if the US hadn't spent a billion a day in Iraq, they could have spent up to a billion a day dealing with Al Qaeda differently - without going to war anywhere.
    I think going after Al Queda in Afghanistan and dethroning the Taliban was justifiable,taking the eye off that ball to go into Iraq wasnt.
    My opinion is that the US need to explain either why a figure 13 times larger then their own estimates is not credible, or why its acceptable. I do not believe they can, and I believe that they would run a mile before trying a "well, you know. that many probably would have died somewhere else, so lets not get too concerned" line.
    Well I've set out my stall with the exception of the lets not get too concerned bit.Obviously Bush et al arent going to talk in the fashion or debate in the fashion that we are doing here.
    Thats because they have a real life position that they have to plausibly defend and we dont.
    We have the luxury of fleshing out the "what if's".They dont unless they want to openly declare themselves as fools.
    It is undeniable that terrorism worlwide has gotten worse since the US went into Iraq. Every metric available backs this up. To suggest that it has been a successful limiting exercise seems untenable to me.
    I never did.

Tristrame you are delibertly associating Iraq with going after Al Qeada and inflating the attributable murders by Al Qeada. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

First it's not putting a spin on a situation to say someone is responsible for their actions,it's a fairly well enshrined concept in any society.Those committing the murders make a conscious and delibrate decision to carry out these atrocities.It also states that Coalition forces are responsible for 31% of violent iraqi deaths,i'm no math talent but that leaves 69% responsibilty to someone.Whatever your personal feelings for the war,the Coalition forces are there trying to limit casualties and strenghen the govenment.As Manic Moran said,the Sunni - Shi'ite religious conflict is the nucleus for a large part of the killings,along with attacks targeting government forces.I don't want to get into speculation on what ifs,but i don't think it's taking things too far to believe that there would have been a religiously divided conflict in any scenario of a dissolution of Saddam's regime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It also states that Coalition forces are responsible for 31% of violent iraqi deaths, i'm no math talent but that leaves 79% responsibilty to someone.

You rest your own case, m'lud...

NTM

Heh,that was embarrassing :o

This is more embarrassing:

"Whatever your personal feelings for the war,the Coalition forces are there trying to limit casualties and strenghen the govenment."

Have you read any material on the subject?

Have you read any of my posts?

Do you consider it fair to respect international law?

Is it right for any government to invade a foreign country and dispose a leader for whatever reason they see fit?

Torture - worse than under Saddam
    Mortality - worse than under Saddam
    Unemployment - worse than under Saddam
    Terrorism - worse than under Saddam
    Medical care - worse than under Saddam
    etc etc

FYI wrote:
    Tristrame you are delibertly associating Iraq with going after Al Qeada and inflating the attributable murders by Al Qeada. Why?
    No I'm not.I'm not associating Iraq with going after Al Queda,I'm associating Alqueda in Iraq with going after the U.S.
    Thats a very different proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Tristrame wrote:
    No I'm not.I'm not associating Iraq with going after Al Queda,I'm associating Alqueda in Iraq with going after the U.S.
    Thats a very different proposition.

Surely that is post the US invasion?

Are you equating the Iraqi attacks against the occupation as AQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tristrame wrote:
    Doesnt that presuppose though Al Queda couldnt be bothered or arent trying now that they are suffeciently bothered abroad? Or is it that you think that it takes greater than 6 years planning to attack the U.S?

None of the above. It presupposes nothing.

Before 911 : Attacks on US soil virtually non-existant, regardless of the level of international terrorism or any other factors.

Post 911 : Attacks on US soil virtually non-existant, regardless of the level of international terrorism or any other factors.
    I'm suggesting there must be a reason why the U.S is not as easy a target or not getting done more frequently.
    Weren't you criticising me a moment ago for making suppositions?

I'm arguing that until a factor is shown to be significant it cannot be considered so.
    I mean why bother blow up trains and busses in London when doing so in New york would be a bigger more hitting home target?
    No idea. Just like I've no idea why they attacked a US warship with speedboats. And until I have an idea, it would be wrong of me to second-guess their motives and draw conclusions from my own guesswork.
    But equally that could be down to crime prevention that we dont hear about.
    Yes it could.

Lets assume it was.

What would that prove except that crime prevention that we hear about is an effective anti-terrorism measure that doesn't involve going to a foreign country and having their inhabitants massacred in Darfur-esque numbers in the name of protecting your own countrymen.
    I dont think its meaningless at all.I just think the lack of activity is as likely to be symptomatic of a good coping with a rising problem of Islamic terrorism.
    Fair enough. And this good coping, independant of rising Islamic terrorism, can only show that its not necessary to put Iraqis in the firing line to keep Americans out of it.
    But thats assuming all other things are equal and they are not.If you were to divide the total level of AlQueda "píssed off-ness" that there is today by those 50 years,you'd soon see that the period is very front end weighted.Ergo I'd contend that going back 50 years to look at the incidents of Islamic hatrid attacks on America is actually the meaningless thing to do.
    Fair enough.

So going into Iraq has riled them up more, and global terrorism is on the rise, and yet even throughout all of this the US has managed to keep its people safe.

So if it hadn't gone into Iraq, and hadn't riled them up, but had done all the other stuff, then the threat would be less, the Americans would be even safer, and an estimated 635,000 Iraqis wouldn't have died.
    Well to the best of my knowledge,however difficult it may be,it is possible to quell terrorism but its not possible to quell the force of the weather.
    The point I was making is that there is no established pattern of high-frequency, so arguing that we haven't witnessed a high-frequency pattern is meaningless. If anything, there's an established pattern of low frequency, so arguing that we haven't seen a high-frequency occurrence is counter-intuitive.

OK...you've subsequently made the case that you believe (regarding terrorism) that there is reason to believe the pattern has shifted, but its still just speculation.

Sticking with the hurricane metaphor, its a bit like saying that because weather patterns over the Eurasia landmass have changed, hurricans are more likely to hit America, but this hasn't happened so someone has done something right in the anti-hurricane department.

Its assuming a correlation, despite the fact that such a correlation has never been shown to exist in the past. Its also assuming that the correlation should yield a certain result, despite that result never having been witnessed in the past. And then because the assumed result doesn't show up, we decide that it must be something to do with the measures we took to stop it.

Lisa Simpson's anti-tiger rock all over again.
    No,I think you've picked me up wrong.
    I was saying that it would be logical to assume that the coalition could have thrown the effort it has in Iraq onto Afghanistan
    And I'm suggesting that this would have led to less loss of life overall had it been chosen as an option. I'm also suggesting its not the only option, just as the invasion of Afghanistan wasn't the only option at the time.
    and that Alqueda would throw the same resources that they are using now at whoever in Iraq and elsewhere onto the coalition forces in Afghanistan and ultimately its surrounds.
    I've no doubt they would. I'm questioning the notion that it would lead to a comparable amount of deaths.

I'm also questioning that if it would lead to such fatalities, why invading anywhere is a good idea if the death-toll is what matters and we conclude that not invading would have resulted in the lowest death-toll overall.
    Personally I'd have found it difficult to disagree with the logic of going after the Taliban as a major step in defeating AlQueda.
    Whereas I disagreed with it from day 1 on the grounds that I did not believe the chances of success were high enough and that the US and co wouldn't "stay the course" to put things right.

Then they shagged off to Iraq, leaving Afghanistan to fall apart again, they reneged on their promises of massive investment and rebuilding the country and so forth.

IN other words, they caused havoc, killed many, then put in a bit of improvement and walked away to let it all fall apart again. 20 years from now, if they continue on the current path of neglect, I would be utterly amazed if Afghanistan was reckoned to have benefited from the US invasion.
    Yes I do believe that if the same effort was put into the war there by both sides as the combined effort now in Iraq and Afghanistan,that the anarchy and death toll would be comparable.
    Afghanistan is already falling back under the control of the Taliban and the warlords. Are you including that anarchy and death-toll into your picture of today? Are you comparing "ruined Afghanistan and ruined Iraq" against "ruined Afghanistan", or just "ruined Iraq" against it?
    I've no reason to believe that the coalitions opponents efforts/numbers would be any less or that the war wouldnt regretably spread into neighbouring countries like pakistan.
    [/quyote]
    You mean like it has spread from Iraq?

Oh...wait....
    I think going after Al Queda in Afghanistan and dethroning the Taliban was justifiable,
    We started this because you asked why the Iraqi deaths should be more important than others. It seems you're now arguing it was jsutifiable because the order of importance really runs like this:

1. - Americans
    2. - Afghanistanis
    3. - Iraqis

And that if people are going to die, better those towards the bottom of the list than the top. I'm not sure where you put us or the rest of the world in there, but I'm guessing its either with the Americans, or just above/below them.
    I never did.
    You believe that any other tactic wouldn't have saved more lives. Thus, this tactic is no worse than any other in your eyes, and better than some.

Is that a more accurate description than saying you think its successful?

No I'm saying AlQueda are in Iraq,and if the U.S werent there but concentrating on Afghanistan instead that they would also be fighting them there.

I wish people would read posts here as a collective and not just one or two.

I don't consider it embarrasing to say that Coalition forces are there trying to limit the violence.i think you're letting your anti-war biases get in the way of your logic.If they weren't trying to combat the violence,alongside the Iraqi police and army,the situation would be far worse.And that's something i've heard from talking to people who've been there,seen it and done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've heard figures of 250,000 from some sources but 650,000 thats outrageous, nearly on par with genocide in my opinion.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    None of the above. It presupposes nothing.

Before 911 : Attacks on US soil virtually non-existant, regardless of the level of international terrorism or any other factors.

Post 911 : Attacks on US soil virtually non-existant, regardless of the level of international terrorism or any other factors.
    and regardless of the level of "pissed offness with the U.S" which has changed posted 911,its much much worse -which is the basis for me saying the before and after you refer to arent like and like.
    Weren't you criticising me a moment ago for making suppositions?

I'm arguing that until a factor is shown to be significant it cannot be considered so.
    Why? On that basis ie that none of us can form a usefull opinion,we may stop doing everything unless we can prove something dangerous pertinent to what we are doing will or will not happen.
    Thats where a call is generally better.Otherwise I'd be walking into town with 4 or 5 people to protect me from possible harm.
    No idea. Just like I've no idea why they attacked a US warship with speedboats. And until I have an idea, it would be wrong of me to second-guess their motives and draw conclusions from my own guesswork.
    But you've already drawn a conclusion based on a before and after that arent comparable.You've even mentioned a 50 year timeframe when we are talking here about Islamic terrorists hatrid of the U.S.For Most of that timeframe,the level of hatrid was incomparable to what it has been in the period post 911.
    Yes it could.

Lets assume it was.

What would that prove except that crime prevention that we hear about is an effective anti-terrorism measure that doesn't involve going to a foreign country and having their inhabitants massacred in Darfur-esque numbers in the name of protecting your own countrymen.
    It would also suggest if it were the case that new measures taken post 911 were working in the new more angry,more determined Islamic terrorist scenario.
    Fair enough. And this good coping, independant of rising Islamic terrorism, can only show that its not necessary to put Iraqis in the firing line to keep Americans out of it.
    I'd agree
    Fair enough.

So going into Iraq has riled them up more, and global terrorism is on the rise, and yet even throughout all of this the US has managed to keep its people safe.

So if it hadn't gone into Iraq, and hadn't riled them up, but had done all the other stuff, then the threat would be less, the Americans would be even safer, and an estimated 635,000 Iraqis wouldn't have died.

The point I was making is that there is no established pattern of high-frequency, so arguing that we haven't witnessed a high-frequency pattern is meaningless.
    I did have my Rumsfeld moment in the middle of that you know...where I said given our known known :D
    If anything, there's an established pattern of low frequency, so arguing that we haven't seen a high-frequency occurrence is counter-intuitive.
    Yes but theres an established pattern of high Alqueda activity since 911 with the major show ground and gifted to them showground of Iraq.
    What I was suggesting is given that ,theres no reason not to expect the same (or worse if it was conveniently spilled into pakistan by AlQueda and "Afghani insurgents") if all the effort was concentrated on Afghanistan alone.
    OK...you've subsequently made the case that you believe (regarding terrorism) that there is reason to believe the pattern has shifted, but its still just speculation.

Sticking with the hurricane metaphor, its a bit like saying that because weather patterns over the Eurasia landmass have changed, hurricans are more likely to hit America, but this hasn't happened so someone has done something right in the anti-hurricane department.
    With respect bonkey,I think we'd be better sticking with the mathemathical methaphors because simply the only thing you can do with the weather is take measures to shield yourself from it,you cant twart natures planning of it.
    Its assuming a correlation, despite the fact that such a correlation has never been shown to exist in the past. Its also assuming that the correlation should yield a certain result, despite that result never having been witnessed in the past. And then because the assumed result doesn't show up, we decide that it must be something to do with the measures we took to stop it.
    I was describing it as a reasonable expectation rather than a direct correlation.
    And I'm suggesting that this would have led to less loss of life overall had it been chosen as an option. I'm also suggesting its not the only option, just as the invasion of Afghanistan wasn't the only option at the time.
    I'd agree that it wasn't.
    But as in the micro you also have to deal with anger in the macro and if you kill 3000 people (and back then it seemed like more) its unrealistic to expect a calm reasoned response,it might be the right thing but it's not reasonable.
    Look at it on the micro level.If a group of people attacked someone on the street, what would you expect the reaction to be in most cases?
    I've no doubt they would. I'm questioning the notion that it would lead to a comparable amount of deaths.
    Well thats a fair enough position to take,I'd obviously believe the opposite.
    I'm also questioning that if it would lead to such fatalities, why invading anywhere is a good idea if the death-toll is what matters and we conclude that not invading would have resulted in the lowest death-toll overall.
    Well we'll never get to the root of that,really as it depends on people en masse to impliment that plan and they havent been too sucessfull in stopping wars and inhumanity to date.

Whereas I disagreed with it from day 1 on the grounds that I did not believe the chances of success were high enough and that the US and co wouldn't "stay the course" to put things right.

Then they shagged off to Iraq, leaving Afghanistan to fall apart again, they reneged on their promises of massive investment and rebuilding the country and so forth.

IN other words, they caused havoc, killed many, then put in a bit of improvement and walked away to let it all fall apart again. 20 years from now, if they continue on the current path of neglect, I would be utterly amazed if Afghanistan was reckoned to have benefited from the US invasion.

Afghanistan is already falling back under the control of the Taliban and the warlords. Are you including that anarchy and death-toll into your picture of today? Are you comparing "ruined Afghanistan and ruined Iraq" against "ruined Afghanistan", or just "ruined Iraq" against it?
    You mean Bush as in they.I'd be a Clinton fan on that one.
    You mean like it has spread from Iraq?
    Oh...wait....
    It's well known that AlQueda and the Taliban dont stop at the pakistan border so yes I am suggesting that it wouldnt stay within the confines of Afghanistan.
    We started this because you asked why the Iraqi deaths should be more important than others. It seems you're now arguing it was jsutifiable because the order of importance really runs like this:

1. - Americans
    2. - Afghanistanis
    3. - Iraqis
    where on Earth is that coming from? I'm not defending the Iraq war at all,I'm just proferring that ,the action could just as easily be happening on another field.You seem to be positing that because I agree that going after the Taliban and Alqueda in Iraq was the right course of action that I'd agree with an escalation by other lunatics.I can tell you that is far from my position but it wont stop me accepting that there are lunatics who wouldnt like their base being compromised.
    Thats entirely different to what you are saying I'm saying where ever it is that you are getting that from.
    Yes I am saying that it could have escalated in Afghanistan just as it has in Iraq-but what do you think would happen if, the insurgency there, the civil war there and Alqueda stopped all at once, it would be pretty quiet wouldnt it ? We agree I assume that none of that would be going on if Iraq was let alone.Where we dont agree is that the agitators of anarchy would concentrate their efforts on the Afghanistan stage were the campaign to have remained there.
    And that if people are going to die, better those towards the bottom of the list than the top. I'm not sure where you put us or the rest of the world in there, but I'm guessing its either with the Americans, or just above/below them.
    I'd firmly put the blame for the coalition going after the Taliban with the Taliban and the blame for the coalition wasting its time in Iraq on the coalition and primarally on bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fair enough, if you want to dismiss the thread out of hand without a moments consideration that's your right. But please offer others the respect their posts deserve, and respond to them with a modicum of regard for the factual content of their arguments.

I offer every post the respect it deserves, and respond to them with regard for the factual content of their arguments.

In fairness, seeing as your OP was simply a link and copy and paste exercise from the same link....What were you expecting in return? Took you 10 seconds consideration to "write" your post, why should I spend any longer replying?
    Therefore, my statement; "those that invaded Iraq are responsible for all deaths," is evidently true. Do you have a counter argument?

You just posted your opinion - that all deaths are attributable to the liberating forces - as fact. I, deliberately to make a point (that apparently went "swoosh!"), posted my differing opinon as fact. You then simply posted another opinion about the "supreme crime" to support your initial opinion - case closed m'lud!

Everyone is responsible for their own actions, with the notable exception of children or those placed in the care of guardians. When you come up with an argument for how youre responsible for my actions, let me know.
    Why is this estimate any more or less questionable than the vastly lower ones that the Good Guys [tm] are willing to endorse?

This one is based on interviews with 1,800 families as opposed to actual body counts? Subjective as opposed to objective? 500 people a day? Its headlines when anything between 60-100 people are killed in a day.

I consider it questionable at best, and its notable that all other death estimates are significantly less.

As it is, seeing as according to estimates that UN sanctions were killing anything up to a million Iraqi children, would anyone who opposed the invasion be responsible for those estimated deaths? Would any nation that supported those sanctions be responsible?
    A well-reasoned and cogent point, just like your refutation of the reliability of the statistics.

See above, I was making a point about opinion and fact. I could have posted a long and detailed critique of why the OP was wrong, but why bother when you can make the point in 3 words? Shagging pointless either way as it wont be taken on board, so at least 3 words saves time.
    As a matter of interest...why is the occupying nation not responsible for the security of the citizens of the nation they have invaded?

See above, but on another point - the US is not an occupying power. There is an elected Iraqi government. Mind you, thats half the cause of sectarian violence...

Sand:

I had made 5 five posts on this thread before you 'arrived', you responded to the content of none of them.

Quote:

"You then simply posted another opinion about the "supreme crime" to support your initial opinion"

These are not my opinions, they are those of the chief American prosecutor at the Nuremberg Tribunal.

Quote:

"Everyone is responsible for their own actions, with the notable exception of children or those placed in the care of guardians."

Since I have explained why the insurgency exists and who caused it, and who knew it would happen, this point is irrelevant.

Quote:

"This one is based on interviews with 1,800 families as opposed to actual body counts?"

This is the best method of counting excess mortality as used. The method of counting reported deaths is completely different. IBC count completely different things. Many deaths go unreported. There are thousands of articles on this subject. Please look them up.

Quote:

"UN sanctions were killing anything up to a million Iraqi children"

And people protested against these sanctions. The responsible parties should be brought to justice.

Quote:

"the US is not an occupying power. There is an elected Iraqi government."

The Times reported recently that the US were considering alternatives to 'democracy'. Other reports said they were losing patience with the 'democratically elected government'. You are living in a fantasy if you believe the coaltion to be a benevolent force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

FYI wrote:
    This is the best method of counting excess mortality as used. The method of counting reported deaths is completely different. IBC count completely different things. Many deaths go unreported. There are thousands of articles on this subject. Please look them up.
    It's also the method used for marketing and opinion polling.

The important thing is that no matter what casualty figures one chooses to believe to be credible, it's a bloodbath in any man's language.

Originally posted by FYI
    "UN sanctions were killing anything up to a million Iraqi children"

And people protested against these sanctions. The responsible parties should be brought to justice.
    It seems FYI,that you are pretty much against any action that was taken against Saddam's regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Tristrame wrote:
    You seem to be positing that because I agree that going after the Taliban and Alqueda in Iraq was the right course of action that I'd agree with an escalation by other lunatics.

You do realise that the invasion of Iraq was nothing to do with going after AlQueda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 johnthesavage

A study carried out in 2000 by the same people using the same methods estimated that 1.7 million people died over a 22 month period in Congo. Nobody questioned the figures or the validity of the methods used. In fact the US and British governments, among others, quoted the study repeatedly.

Now we are expected to believe exactly the opposite, that the study is flawed and the figure grossly exaggerated, simply because it doesn't fit in with their propaganda?

It seems FYI,that you are pretty much against any action that was taken against Saddam's regime.

Another Republican spin point....

Sand wrote:

This one is based on interviews with 1,800 families as opposed to actual body counts? Subjective as opposed to objective? 500 people a day? Its headlines when anything between 60-100 people are killed in a day.

This study was correlated with death certificates...of 13000 people
    I consider it questionable at best, and its notable that all other death estimates are significantly less.

...it's easy to get a lower death toll when you are basing your study on what's reported. When's the last time you heard about a jarhead at a checkpoint blowing away a family?
    The lancet study is the only scientific study done that I'm aware of.
    How confident are you in the latest polls of Tony Blair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

I think the better answer is 'not as soon.'

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I'm being drawn to the Balkans/Yugoslavia. A relatively autocratic state held together predominantly by one man's strong rule over several decades. When that one man died, the country turned against itself along sectarian lines, and even foreign military intervention didn't do that great a job of stopping it. I believe it brought the term 'ethnic cleansing' into common use?

Maybe after Saddam died of natural causes, power would have transferred to his cousin/brother/boyfriend/whoever-he-handpicked. Perhaps that rule might have been peaceful-ish as well, but I don't think that the underlying.. well, I'll say incompatibility... between the groups would have vanished.

NTM

This isnt just Sunni and Shia slugging it out between each other. There was certainly no love lost between Sunni and Shiite, but if I remember correctly they were not slitting each other's throats after the war, nor 3 months after, nor 6 months after..

This is a low intensity civil war which is largely result of a VERY successful terrorist campaign. With such an unpopular, illegal, media spun, lie of a war (crusade in muslim eyes) it wasn't hard for (foreign) Islamic fundamentalists to get more than enough young men to blow themselves up JUST to set a bigger and bigger rift between Sunni and Shia, I remember all throughout 2004 and 2005 this growing and growing, it required ALOT of manpower and support but it set the spark, and now it is self-sustaining, revenge killings resulting in more revenge killing, a self-sustaining low intensity civil war is priority number 1 for Islamic extremists because is creates the perfect perfect environment to setup whatever hardcore style Islamic government they want.

I firmly believe 90% of the violence in Iraq is INDIRECTLY the fault of a non-existant bungled negligent postwar plan by the US/Coalition. Thousands of tactical errors as Rice put it. The head of the British army is now emphasising how unwelcome they really are now. Thinktanks produced reports that this would happen, they were ignored. Ex-diplomats, dozens of them, tried to warn the US/Coalition, they were ignored. The whole thing stinks of such supreme arrogance, and who is suffering? the Iraqi people. All we can do is sit here and swallow the dumbed down tame version of events from Iraq, it will only be 5 years before it surpasses Vietnam as one of this centuries biggest mistakes.

Advertisement