Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

honda civic v skoda fabia v peugot 207 v vw polo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

land9 wrote:
    fiesta tdci is a good pick - but they have to be serviced regularly, fuel filter being the most important item to be replaced when necessary.

i work in a honda garage, and the civics give no trouble whatsoever (or any other honda's) if you could, go north and get a 1.7ctdi (diesel) civic - it's an isuzu engine but these are bomb-proof. if you were going for petrol, stick with the 1.4; 1.6 vtecs are thirsty

stay away from opel, vw, audi and any french or italian cars - they will break your heart

The fuel filter is absolutely vital in any modern diesel. The smallest bit of water or dirt can mean a 3k repair bill!

Is the 1.7cdti not the same as the one found in Opels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

land9 wrote:
    if you were going for petrol, stick with the 1.4; 1.6 vtecs are thirsty

Errr the D16Z1, which would be the 1.6 in the 01-06 Civics wouldn't exactly be thirsty. When I had one, I could get 52MPG on a long run at 80kph. Around town I would get about 40mpg. If I was the OP I'd get a 1.6 over the 1.4 and even the diesel (for sheer running costs) - service every 12k, sparks every 36k.

Now the older B16 engines - where's the petrol pump?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

layke wrote:
    Not the 01-05 model, no boy racer would be caught dead in it.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring//2006/1011/1160340203495.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bazz26 wrote:
    Well from my old man's experience of ownership of a 2003 Civic 1.4 hatchback his premium is slightly higher (about €150 more) than say a 1.4 Corolla of the same vintage. Both cars having around the same bhp, the same size, similar specification and value.

Unfortunately a bad image or reputation is alot quicker to gain than it is to loose.

My wife's '03 4-door Civic saloon is cheaper to insure than her old '01 Almera, by about €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

maidhc wrote:
    The fuel filter is absolutely vital in any modern diesel. The smallest bit of water or dirt can mean a 3k repair bill!

Is the 1.7cdti not the same as the one found in Opels?

yeah, that's made by isuzu as well! it's the only engine that doesn't give bother with opels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

land9 wrote:
    yeah, that's made by isuzu as well! it's the only engine that doesn't give bother with opels

AFAIK, Opel/GM stopped using the Isuzu 1.7 diesel in about 1994, and switched to their own in-house engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grip

cheers all, going for the Honda - immaculate car all round. Safe driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there are still some old model civics unregistered. bargains to be had!

Advertisement