Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gingivitis

• 11-10-2006 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I think I've somehow gotten this. Last two weeks I've gotten two spots in my gums that are absolutely killer to the touch, otherwise gums are fine. Also developed ulcer in mouth.

I hadn't a clue what it might be until Gf mentioned it might be gingivitis, looked it up and yes, sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. :(

Don't know how the heck I could have gotten it, I brush my teeth 2 or 3 times daily, use mouthwash, don't eat much sweet stuff, etc. :confused:

Can it be treated by anything you get in the chemist, or do I have to go see a dentist?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

HavoK wrote:
    Can it be treated by anything you get in the chemist, or do I have to go see a dentist?

Thanks.

Corsodyl medicated mouthwash is good, but you should really go to the dentist, gingivitis can be quite serious and you don't know for sure that's what you have. You may well need antibiotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah balls, but yeah might as well be sensible about it, hate the dentist so was hoping to avoid that....

Thanks etho_. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ginigel rinse or gel is also good, it contains a substance that regenerates gum tissue, its good for gum recession too, the rinse is about €12.00 in Boots.. Not sure what price the gel is though, think its actually cheaper..

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Two 'spots' on the gums that are sore to the touch could be anything and this description does not automatically mean a diagnosis of gingivitis, this sounds like something else to me, but I don't diagnose over the internet. It's important to go to the dentist to have this condition properly diagnosed! Don't rely on over the counter products from the chemist until they have been recommended by a professional. Gengigel IS a good product, but only if used in particular situations - usually only as an aid (not a substitute) to oral hygiene which includes regular professional cleanings, correct toothbrushing technique and frequency, the use of floss or other interdental cleaners and mouthwash.

To sum up, go to a dentist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

chemists aren't professionals?
    they're not trained dentists but they are generally very well trained and they know alot. I wouldn't image there are many pharmacists in the country who wouldn't tell you to go see a dentist anyway if they thought it was serious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Without trying to sound arrogant (4 of my friends are trained pharmacists and I have the highest respect for their job and training), pharmacists and to a certain degree medical doctors are not trained to distinguish serious from unserious conditions in the mouth or to make informed diagnoses.

While this person feels they have gingivitis, it could be interpreted from the description that this person could have draining sinuses from abcesses or even mouth ulcers. This person could go to the chemist and buy gengigel or other products and get some temporary relief of symptoms without removal of the cause and the disease could progress, unbeknownst to the person.

This is the critical danger in giving diagnoses over the internet and more importantly the danger of self diagnosis.

Advertisement