Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac Laptop compatibility with wireless broadband

• 11-10-2006 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I have just ordered a Macbook and gave Eircom a ring to see if they'd send us out a wireless modem for our existing broadband package but when I asked, they told me their wireless broadband is not compatible with Macs. I think this is a disgrace that such a huge market is being neglected by Eircom, the biggest broadband provider in Ireland. Apparently many Mac users order wireless, unaware of it's incompatibility with their machines and then ring up only to be told that they must use Ethernet to log on.

Is there any way around this e.g. buying an independent wirless modem to use with my Eircom package? Or do any other broadband providers (reliable - no Smart telecoms!) have prodcuts compatible with Macs airport extreme cards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Um, Macs work fine with eircom products. As we speak my friend is browsing the web from his macbook using eircom wireless modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

another example of how eircom are IDIOTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Im posting this on a mini using a wireless usb adapter sniffing eircom...macs are prob most tolerant and adaptable of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I truly don't know how an earth they decided that Macs weren't compatiable...I'd love to hear what they'd actually say if you asked why they didn't apparently work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HavoK wrote:
    I truly don't know how an earth they decided that Macs weren't compatiable...I'd love to hear what they'd actually say if you asked why they didn't apparently work. :rolleyes:

I would hazard a guess it's the USB drivers for the modem, coupled with the fact that they don't want to support Macs.

In fairness to the call center monkeys, they are ony reading from a script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Never had any problems using my iBook on any wireless network... whether Eircom (which we used to have), NTL (which we have now) or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Isn't that the whole point of standards such as Wifi? The wireless router doesn't care if it's a Mac, PC, PDA, or even PSP connecting.

Actually, there's an interesting point - anyone care to ring Eircom and see if their PSP is supported? :D Should make for some interesting excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

Sounds like the goon you spoke to has just started the job...he was probably talking about the over size walkie talkie they supply. Think you will find no problems on the wifi front.. in fact Apple were among the first to use the topology in there OS anyway. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Cheers guys thats a relief. It's shocking that they don't know what they're talking about, I was having thoughts of cancelling the order of the mac altogether. Silly, silly eircom. I still cant believe that he said that they have had Mac users ring up before and complain because they weren't aware that Macs weren't supported before they ordered broadband. The dirty Liars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I had the same problem with vodafone. I walked into one of their stores and inquired about the unlimited data card they had on offer. When I mentioned I had a Mac, right away they said it wouldn't work. I was told the card will only work on Dell laptops. It's working perfectly fine through my Linksys router. I've also had my laptop working on many of my friends eircom wireless modems with no issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement