Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up WEP

• 11-10-2006 8:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to secure my wireless connection (I just discovered there's about 6 unauthorised users tapping into it right now!) and I thought I'd try WEP. I'm confused about how to do it, though. Do I want 64-bit or 128-bit, a key entry mode of Hex or ASCII, and static or dynamic key provisioning? Then if I use a passphrase, so I still need those key things?

I really don't understand it, and can't find much in the way of tutorials online! Thanks.

/edit: If it matters, the wireless base station is a Philips SNB5600.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Faith wrote:
    Hi all,

I need to secure my wireless connection (I just discovered there's about 6 unauthorised users tapping into it right now!) and I thought I'd try WEP. I'm confused about how to do it, though. Do I want 64-bit or 128-bit, a key entry mode of Hex or ASCII, and static or dynamic key provisioning? Then if I use a passphrase, so I still need those key things?
    To start with, you don't want WEP. You want WPA (or WPA-PSK). It's far more secure, and far easier to set up - you just set a passphrase (something as straightforward as "there's about 6 unauthorised users tapping into it right now" would do nicely) and off you go.

WEP can be cracked in a few minutes by anyone who really wants to. But even if that wasn't a problem, you still have the complications you've listed. WPA was designed to solve WEPs security problems, and also benefits from being easier to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Of course there are legitimate reasons to use WEP.

Faith, you will want to use the largest key you can, that being the 128-bit. This will make little difference to anyone who wants to break your system, but it can deter casual snoopers.

I'm not sure what the difference between the ASCII and Hex entry modes are. Hex keys allow you to create a 26 digit key using the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F. I presume the ASCII input mode lets you use any of the characters from the standard ASCII chart, which is probably translated into the Hex in the background anyway.

Passphrases are used (at least in my experience) to generate the keys on your behalf. You may still need to take the key values down so that they can be entered into other devices on the network.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Okay, well I just tried to set up WPA. I entered the passphrase and saved my settings. The internet disconnected for a few seconds and then reconnected. It's working fine, but when I look at the network connections, it still says it's an unsecured wireless network, and my DHCP client log still lists 5 unauthorised users, so I'm guessing it didn't work? Is there any way to check, or have I done something wrong?

Advertisement