Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers Licence - Sydney

• 11-10-2006 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm moving to Sydney for a year in February. I only have a provisional here but I'd love to get my full licence for the year away. I was thinking of getting it over there as it takes to long here. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any restrictions on someone of a year long visa getting an australian licence. Is the test hard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Hi,
    I'm moving to Sydney for a year in February. I only have a provisional here but I'd love to get my full licence for the year away. I was thinking of getting it over there as it takes to long here. Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any restrictions on someone of a year long visa getting an australian licence. Is the test hard?

Getting a license over there takes longer. First you start on a Learner, then you get Provisional 1 (P1), then Provisional 2(P2).

For the first license (Learner), you do a theory test.

To get the Provisional 1, you must log 50 hours driving with a Supervisor Driver. You must have the Learner licesne for at least 3 months before you get a Provisional 1.

While holding a P1 for a total of 12 months you can attempt the Hazard Perception Test. If successful, you can proceed to the P2 licence. A P2 licence, must be held for at least 24 months.

You may progress to a full licence after holding the P2 licence for a minimum of 24 months and by passing the Driver Qualification Test (DQT).

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

Im doing the same mate. Im leaving in Jan to sydney for 1 year. My girlfriend is there at the moment and I asked her.. Apparently if you arrive to oz with an irish provisional, you get a oz pro1. But when u return and re apply for ur licence here and present the oz licence, they grant you a full irish here! (she could be talking ****e but she knows someone who has done it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know what the situation is getting a licence if you have a full Irish licence? Do they just give you one or would you still have to do a test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't think you 'get' a full licence when exchanging a provisional - but I do think there are administrative mix-ups in the driving licence centres. Staff may assume that nobody would bother submitting a provisional licence to get another provisional for the country of residencey - I do have a friend in Queensland who sent in her provisional Irish licence and got a full Aussie licence back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

The whole provisonal into full licence thing used to be fairly common, but only really occurs now in remote centres who mightn't have seen an irish provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

lots of people have exchanged the prov irish into a full oz one, prob only as the other poster said get away with it at one of the remote centers now or get an nz and then change to oz and then to irish.

in nsw you can just exchange it no test, they put a stamp on your irsih to say it no longer valid for use in nsw as you been issued a nsw,

in queensland you need to do a theory test 30 questions
    in nz you need to do a theory test

i've a uk irish nsw queensland and nz license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Irish Lassy

Hi there, im thinking of doing the same. I have an Irish Prov Licence and want to get the full Oz licence. Im currently living in Sydney, where do i go to get this Full licence??? Do they really give you a full licence?

One other problem is..... My licence is outta date! bummer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I did this in 1996

> Take your Provisional walk into an Driving Centre

> Hand it over you may be asked to take a computer test , practice on the machines before hand till you get it 100%
    > they will issue you an aussie Learners.

> As you held an Irish provisional you will be able to skip the 6 month wait to sit there test its has about a two - three week wait.

> On succeeding then you get a aussie Provisional on 2 years on P Plates , warning you only have about three pionts on this to play with, dont speed or not wear P plates or anything as you will lose it

> On return to Ireland hand in the Aussie Provisional and get a Irish Full Licence :-)

Best of luck -its a good idea :D
    Aussie Traffic Police = good blokes but zero Sense of Humour

Advertisement