Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Heating in Galway

Options
  • 11-10-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

What Heating Oil company do you use [and has the best prices]?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

corrib oil

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A mate of mine was buying about two/weeks ago.
    He rang about 8 companies in the area and asked for the price of 1000 litres of Kerosene.
    The cheapest at the time was Corrib oil at 565 Euro for 1000 litres.
    Prices have apparantly gone down since then but that was the cheapest at the time by 10 euro.
    It'd be worth opening the yellow pages and taking 15 minutes to call around again if you'd like other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

We have some being delivered today, 1000 litres for 570 euros. only used them because my sister does and the delivery guy lives nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

if anyone has done the work recently, they wouldnt mind putting up the prices here?

I usually get texoil and 1000L costs €560 which isnt bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Hey thanks guys,

I found this list with Galway companies, but as it seems that most find Corrib the cheapest I will go for them.
    Actually it's 2 Corrib, 1 Statoil, 1 Texoil... Hmmm, I will call those eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Anyone know if there are any companies supplying biofuels/vegetable oils?

I need to do a bit more practical research on this, but I'd like to see if it is economically viable to convert the heating in the family home to biofuel - aims being to reduce heating costs (over say 2-3 years) and reduce or negate emissions.

I've heard of grants for various alternative energy solutions (ie woodchip burner), so I might start looking at oasis.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

SyxPak wrote:
    A
    I need to do a bit more practical research on this, but I'd like to see if it is economically viable to convert the heating in the family home to biofuel - aims being to reduce heating costs (over say 2-3 years) and reduce or negate emissions.

Not necessarily linked with your statement, but an economically related question: how much oil do you guys use in like one year? And also, how do you know when that darn tank is close to getting empty? It happened to me, and not once, to have to call some dude to get the air out of it...

I am using oil heating only for the past couple of years, I'm renting a house so don't have any chance in using other solution for heating...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I generally use Excelsior (mainly because I used to work for them and like dealing with them). Find they always deliver that day or next day.

Duras - I tend to order €200 worth every 2 months during the winter to avoid running out and having to bleed the system. During the summer I generally leave it off as the house is quite well insulated, so is usually warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We always use corrib Oil as well (093 office as it's closer).

Have rang around the past few years and these guy's are always cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I have to order heating oil for the first time. By what Fey! says 100 euro a month is about the average spend during winter. So if I order 400 euros worth I should be laughing for the winter, n'est pas? I live in east Galway, so corrib sound good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

tammy wrote:
    I have to order heating oil for the first time. By what Fey! says 100 euro a month is about the average spend during winter. So if I order 400 euros worth I should be laughing for the winter, n'est pas? I live in east Galway, so corrib sound good.

How long is a peice of string ect ect

Depends on size of house, amount of time heating is on for etc etc.

I'd be more inclined to budget for 500-600 Euro for the winter months (Sept-April)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

hey guys might be a bit off topic but did anyone ever hear of using diesel instead of oil in the burner. A guy in my house just filled it up with diesel today. Is this safe? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 behy

Statoil /Sweeney oil are the way to go at the mo. they have E25 vouchers sent out in post around Connaught. So get over 800 litres and Get 25 off. And if you didnt get the voucher just tell them when ordering and they will honour it. They even have a freefone number 1800 200 308.
    Owened By a local gentleman from Clifden they actually are the biz and for x-mas they donate E10,000 to 5 Local Charities every year. only one I know who give something back to community, and were one of the few companies not to be involved in price fixing ring over the past years. Cant praise them enough!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 behy

Mr_G^_^ wrote:
    hey guys might be a bit off topic but did anyone ever hear of using diesel instead of oil in the burner. A guy in my house just filled it up with diesel today. Is this safe? :confused:

diesal is an oil

two types of heating oil kerosene and gas oil

kero is most common burns cleaner etc

gas oil is green diesel used mainy in older boilers,

both will work however kero is fine in either boiler but gas oil is not as clean so can dirty a kero boiler with prolonged use.

one fill wont be a problem but it would be no harm if you have a kero boiler to re-fill with kero after half the tank is gone.

Kero boilers are usually found in your house

gas oil boilers are usually outside or in the garage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement