Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary Work/Work Experience

• 11-10-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Once again i'm here looking for advice/guidance:)

So i started the evening course in Psychology and it was really interesting and it will be a big help in getting into a degree full time.

I'm looking to do other things that will look good on my application as well as give me a bit of experience(allbeit a small amount).

Would anyone know where to go about doing some voluntary work/work experience in a field even remotely related to Psychology? Obviously i'm not looking to be paid, but i do work full time myself so time is limited and weekend work would be preferred... But if needs be, i could maybe try and get a day off work during the week.

Anything would do:)

Thanks,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

There are a lot of initiatives within disability services now looking to set up volunteer services. Check your local services to see if they are recruiting volunteers. The disability area is probably the most common area for wannabe clinical psychologists to get experience. It's very difficult to get voluntary work in mental health areas though the samaritans is an example of something that people tend to go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

The samaritans sounds like a good option alright. That would be very tough aswell, listening to awful stories of what people go through!!!

I think i'll send them an email and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Childline? They provide very comprehensive training, but you have to promise to stay for two years in return.

Would that be full time work?

nevermind.. found the info. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Depends on the area your interested in, rape crisis for instance are usually looking for volunteers, you would maybe suprised at the psych realted areas in youth work, also a hard area to work in is addiction treatment/rehab, loads of community rehab centres are always looking for volunteers. Best of luck with it.

yeah, thanks for the replys... It does seem that a lot of options are available..

I've email the samaritans and will be contacting the ISPCC with regards to volunteering for childline... I'd like to do it, for the experience and also just to be nice and do something good!!

At the moment i'm just trying to get my head around what kind of calls you would be taking, it would be very demanding and you'd probably need to be quite a strong person mentally to be able to deal with peoples problems, some of which may be extreme.

Advertisement