Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much thirstier are automatics than manuals?

Options
  • 11-10-2006 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I know that you can get better fuel economy out of a manual than an automatic car but does anyone know how much (a rough idea of the percentage)?

Due to my work I've been doing a lot of city centre driving recently and I'm getting very sick of driving a manual all day. I know a lot of taxi drivers drive automatics, otherwise they'd have a sore left leg I'd imagine.

Fuel economy is important to me so like I said I'm just wondering how much worse that is likely to be for the sake of comfort in an automatic.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't worry about the loss its just a few %, you'll waste more with soft tyres and a full boot.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It depends on the size of the engine - the larger the engine, the less difference. I'd say about 10% on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

10% would be a good figure. And well worth it if you do a lot of city driving. I'd a Passat TDI Auto a while back and it was getting me 500+ miles per tank in city drivng with the A/C on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

It really depends on the drivers driving style. If I drove around in a manual and spent most of my time red lining in second gear then my fuel economy is going to be worse than an automatic.

I think people can have more control of fuel economy when driving a manual, but their fuel economy can vary up or down more depending on their driving style.

An automatic will have a smaller variance based on the drivers style because the gear changes will be managed by a computer rather than a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

blobert wrote:
    Hi there,

I know that you can get better fuel economy out of a manual than an automatic car but does anyone know how much (a rough idea of the percentage)?

Due to my work I've been doing a lot of city centre driving recently and I'm getting very sick of driving a manual all day. I know a lot of taxi drivers drive automatics, otherwise they'd have a sore left leg I'd imagine.

Fuel economy is important to me so like I said I'm just wondering how much worse that is likely to be for the sake of comfort in an automatic.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Maybe a diesel car with an auto box is what your looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the_batman wrote:
    An automatic will have a smaller variance based on the drivers style because the gear changes will be managed by a computer rather than a person.
    Yes but if you constantly used the kick down facility the economy would nose dive also. I think the OP is referring to average fuel consumption.

I did a check on a few cars, based on the published figures and was was really surprised at the variances across different manufacturers:

Fuel consumption is in miles per gallon and listsed as Urban/Extra Urban/Combined

Saab 95 2.0t
    Manual
    23.3/42.8/32.8
    Auto
    19.0/37.2/27.4

That is a difference of between 15 and 22%.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 Duratec HE (145 PS)

Manual
    25.2/48.7/36.2

Durashift 4-speed automatic
    22.4/39.2/31.0

That is a difference of between 12 and 25%.

BMW 330 SE Coupe
    Manual
    22.1/43.5/32.1

Auto
    21.9/41.5/31.4

That is a difference of between 1 and 5%.

BMW 530i SE Saloon
    Manual
    22.4/42.8/32.1

Auto
    20.8/41.5/30.4

That is a difference of between 3 and 8%.

VW Passat Sport 2.0 FSI 200PS
    Manual
    25.0/44.1/34.4
    22.1/41.5/31.4

That is a difference of between 6 and 13%.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the_batman wrote:
    Ford Mondeo 2.0 Duratec HE (145 PS)

Manual
    25.2/48.7/36.2

Durashift 4-speed automatic
    22.4/39.2/31.0

That is a difference of between 12 and 25%

It is shameful a brand new Mondeo comes with a 4-speed auto, no wonder fuel consumption is that sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I did 600 miles with 70euro of diesel in an auto 530 estate. 250 of those miles I was pulling a 1.5tonne twin axle trailer... I was well impressed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I's say it depends on driving style, loading, driving conditions, Air Con or none, design of AT, etc.
    I'd expect 5% for exactly the cam car, drive and conditions, the only exception being the AT. However AT oftern comes with Air Con, so in that case I'd increase the difference to 10% for a Std Manual w/o AC to an A/T + A/C.

"Official" MPG figures mean very little to the general driver. Those figures are based on a std test, which may or may not (generally not) represent your driving.
    eg, our van (3.3L-V6, 12V) is rated at 24mpg (USG), not a great performer by any gauge. A friends Acura (3.5-V6 - 24V), is rated at 26mpg.
    We (my wife) is getting (measured) 51Kmls/2500 Gal =~ 20mpg, while his trip computer has calculated 18mpg Average.
    On along trip on open highway I get 24+, maybe even 26.

Nissal Quest 4sp A/T is rated at 24mpg, the same vehicle with a 5sp AT is 23mpg, why with more gears is the mpg lower, I'd expect it to be higher

On a taxi in stop n go traffic, the A/T is definitely a winner. Also definitely a great asset is you have a broken left ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JohnCleary wrote:
    I did 600 miles with 70euro of diesel in an auto 530 estate. 250 of those miles I was pulling a 1.5tonne twin axle trailer... I was well impressed ;)

Was the trailer loaded?!?
    unkel wrote:
    It is shameful a brand new Mondeo comes with a 4-speed auto, no wonder fuel consumption is that sh!te

Ford's autos were and still are crap

maidhc wrote:
    Ford's autos were and still are crap

That's a pity. My previous car, which is now nearly 13 years old, had a smooth 5-speed autobox

I have no figures to back it up, but I get the impression that the market share of automatics in Europe is on the increase, especially in the executive segments where most autos are quite refined these days

unkel wrote:
    I have no figures to back it up, but I get the impression that the market share of automatics in Europe is on the increase, especially in the executive segments where most autos are quite refined these days

I don't think I will ever go back to driving a manual. With all the tipronic and paddle shift options available you get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am not a Ford fan but WTF are you all on about?

"It is shameful a brand new Mondeo comes with a 4-speed auto, no wonder fuel consumption is that sh!te"
    "Ford's autos were and still are crap"

Just looking at the combined MPG for each car listed above, in its AUTO version:

Saab - 27.4mpg
    Ford - 31.0mpg
    BMW 3- 31.4mpg
    BMW 5 - 30.4mpg
    VW - 31.4mpg

The way I look at it, the Saab and 5 series are worse for economy, and the VW and 3 series are only BARELY better.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what models are you comparing there prospect?

kbannon wrote:
    what models are you comparing there prospect?

The ones listed above in the_batman's post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

apologies - I realised that afterwards.
    Not entirely fair throwing two 3L cars in there!
    The 320d ES gives (Urban/Extra urban/Combined) (mpg)
    manual: 36.2 / 62.8 / 49.6
    auto: 31 / 53.3 / 42.2
    The 520dSE gives
    manual:35.3 / 60.1 / 47.9
    auto: 30.4 / 51.4 / 40.9

However, the differences are still quite large

Maybe so, but I think the comments quoted in my earlier posts were a bit harsh. The manual mondeo seems to have good fuel consumption, and the auto seems to be average.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

maidhc wrote:
    Was the trailer loaded?!?

Yes I meant that it weighed the 1.5tonne loaded

prospect wrote:
    I am not a Ford fan but WTF are you all on about?

The BMW 330i auto uses up to 5% more fuel than the manual
    The Mondeo 2.0 auto uses up to 25% more fuel than the manual

I have no doubt that this huge extra fuel consumption is caused by the lack of more gears

Also the 3.0l 6-cylinder BMW 3-series auto uses about the same fuel overall as the 2.0l 4-cylinder Mondeo auto

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    The BMW 330i auto uses up to 5% more fuel than the manual
    The Mondeo 2.0 auto uses up to 25% more fuel than the manual

I have no doubt that this huge extra fuel consumption is caused by the lack of more gears

Also the 3.0l 6-cylinder BMW 3-series auto uses about the same fuel overall as the 2.0l 4-cylinder Mondeo auto

However the bottom line is that they both have similar consumptions in their auto guises!
    I would read it as the others have terrible fuel consumption in the manual versions.

prospect wrote:
    However the bottom line is that they both have similar consumptions in their auto guises!

True. But my second point then is that you're comparing a seriously fast saloon (0-100km/h in 6.6s) with a rather sedate saloon (0-100km/h in 11.4s). One would expect the latter to be much more economical even in the official mix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I have a 1.8L Volvo S40 automatic which I changed to from a 1.8L VW Passat.

I reckon it's much heavier on petrol than the VW.
    I used to get two weeks out of a tank of petrol and now I get approx 10 days.
    Enough to notice it in the pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭golfnuts

I've a BMW 320i Auto. On a full tank I'd barely get up to 400 miles...work is a 300 mile round trip per week !

unkel wrote:
    But my second point then is that you're comparing a seriously fast saloon (0-100km/h in 6.6s) with a rather sedate saloon (0-100km/h in 11.4s). One would expect the latter to be much more economical even in the official mix

I agree with that.
    However, I still think that saying "no wonder fuel consumption is that sh!te" is a bit extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

AMurphy wrote:
    I's say it depends on driving style, loading, driving conditions, Air Con or none, design of AT, etc.

Does Air Conditioning really make that much of a difference? I seem to remember some Top Gear (I think) segment comparing using Air Con to driving with a window down and the extra wind resistance from leaving the window down reduced MPG more than Air Con.

dubstub wrote:
    Does Air Conditioning really make that much of a difference?

Depends on things such as the temp difference between inside and outside the car. A ballpark figure for using aircon is 10% increase in fuel consumption
    dubstub wrote:
    comparing using Air Con to driving with a window down and the extra wind resistance from leaving the window down reduced MPG more than Air Con.

Depends on other things such as speed of vehicle. At low speeds having a window open doesn't really impact fuel consumption. At 200km/h I guess consumption could increase by who knows, 30-40%

dubstub wrote:
    Does Air Conditioning really make that much of a difference? I seem to remember some Top Gear (I think) segment comparing using Air Con to driving with a window down and the extra wind resistance from leaving the window down reduced MPG more than Air Con.

Depends on the size of the compressor and the type of "freon". I had a 1.6L German built Fiesta Ghai with A/C once and when the AC kicked in the car nearly stopped, had to turn it off to pass anything.
    I also had a Fiat 1.9L (I think) ROI rental a few years ago with AC and while the car did not baulk with the AC on, it did not cool very well either.
    So it depends.... typically your ac drains about 3~5hp and the amount of fuel required to generate that HP. So I'll hazzard a guess, 3 to 10%..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My 1.9 TDI (130 Bhp) Auto Passat does around 600 miles to a full tank, but then I do must of my driving on R/N/M-roads at 80-120 kph which helps

(Love my Auto Passat :D)

• Advertisement

Might help if we knew how large/small the tank is.

Advertisement