Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane Coupe E 1.6 (1997) HELP!!

Options
  • 11-10-2006 11:29pm

Hey All!

Just bought a Megane Coupe E 1.6 (1997)
    Got a good deal, €1900 BUT it has 91k, not tooo bad as she's practically in showroom condition

Now....roll on the problems...

Firstly I wanna put in my own car stereo, and want the remote at side of steering wheel to work, I went to halfords and got one of the converters for €50 and in all fairness it does say Renault megane 1996>2002 on it, but it doesn’t work, only one of the connections go together at the back of the stereo, thing is it doesn’t say "coupe" on it, so obviously there’s a different one for the coupe's??
    Anyone have any ideas where I can actually get one? I've tried a few places, but no joy! AND when i went to a Renault dealer (wont say which one) they were as helpfull as a wet tissue!

Secondly there’s a serious shake on the car, on the steering wheel especially, only when driving tho. I got the tracking done and balanced wheels, but its still happening? Is it the shocks or what else could it be?

All help gratefully received!

Cheers! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

for the stereo, try a stereo fitter to get the cable, or try ebay. What make of stereo are you putting in; it might make a difference.

As for the shake, check your tyre pressures - they may be too low or too high. Try 28psi all around, or whatever they say in the manual. Remember when doing the pressures to let a little bit of air out at the end to get a true reading.

HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

Any car electricial place will sort you or go to Halfords again or another motor factors and take advantage of their fitting service.

As for your steering; if you cancel out the things Fey! said it sounds like the steering column could be gone especially with that milage, any warrenty?

Put the front wheels on a wet man hole cover or in loose gravel (somewhere with little grip for the wheels) start the car and get a mate to hold the steering wheel while you go to the front wheels and try to move them left and right with your hands, if they move while he's (or she's ) holding the wheel straight, then chances are its the steering column.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Spyguy wrote:
    Hey All!

Just bought a Megane Coupe E 1.6 (1997)
    Got a good deal, €1900 BUT it has 91k, not tooo bad as she's practically in showroom condition

Now....roll on the problems...

Firstly I wanna put in my own car stereo, and want the remote at side of steering wheel to work, I went to halfords and got one of the converters for €50 and in all fairness it does say Renault megane 1996>2002 on it, but it doesn’t work, only one of the connections go together at the back of the stereo, thing is it doesn’t say "coupe" on it, so obviously there’s a different one for the coupe's??
    Anyone have any ideas where I can actually get one? I've tried a few places, but no joy! AND when i went to a Renault dealer (wont say which one) they were as helpfull as a wet tissue!

Secondly there’s a serious shake on the car, on the steering wheel especially, only when driving tho. I got the tracking done and balanced wheels, but its still happening? Is it the shocks or what else could it be?

All help gratefully received!

Cheers! ;)

Front wheel bearings?. Not sure if shocks going would cause it to shake.

Advertisement