Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Taxation for IATI

Options
  • 12-10-2006 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Can anyone reccomend a book that may help me with the Taxation side of the IATI course I'm really struggling with it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nellsbells

Did you pass the taxation!? i am finding it very hard, any suggestions on a book i cud get to help ?
    im in yr 1 IATI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Hey there. I passed the course this year with distinction so I am delighted. THe first tutor I had was crap!! I would recommend going to the Tax Seminars. They are pricy but a guy called William Byrne (Not sure of last name) does it and he is just fantastic. I never got any books to help really but the notes for those seminars were great.

If you would like any more advise feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bernz

Nellsbells wrote: »
    Did you pass the taxation!? i am finding it very hard, any suggestions on a book i cud get to help ?
    im in yr 1 IATI
    Hi I see that you are doing IATI, I was just wondering could you help me its just that im finding the law & ethics module hard is there any book you can recommend? ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IATIheadwrecked

hi there

i am currently "trying" to study Taxation, I have attended the revision lecture in ucd a few weeks ago BUT i am lost. I have searched the net for notes but no luck can you PLEASE PLEASE advise where i can locate flash cards or a breakdown of the course as my lecturer is brutal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 clodaghc

Hi there

Im a fully qual accountant. Im giving IATI grinds at the moment for 20 eur an hour..included in that I will also give you my e mail address and you can send me the questions that you are having trouble with and I will take you through them. I can create notes for you, or provide you with an approach to your exam questions...I can come to your home or we can meet somewhere else to study - dont worry there is plenty of time to pass these exams :)

whatever you need help with, I can do it :)

• Advertisement

Hi Clodagh,

I am living in Meath but working in Dublin.

If you're free on Friday 24th April I can maybe arrange a meeting room in my office in St Stephens Green.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regs
    V

clodaghc wrote: »
    Hi there

Im a fully qual accountant. Im giving IATI grinds at the moment for 20 eur an hour..included in that I will also give you my e mail address and you can send me the questions that you are having trouble with and I will take you through them. I can create notes for you, or provide you with an approach to your exam questions...I can come to your home or we can meet somewhere else to study - dont worry there is plenty of time to pass these exams :)

whatever you need help with, I can do it :)

Hi

Great to hear from you.

I should be free to come to Stephens Green next friday- what time were you thinking of? And for how many hours?
    Meath is not a million miles from me either - as long as youre the Dublin side?? (I saw Clonee described as West Co Dublin today....)

Is there a particular part of the course you are worried about, ie VAT/ Income Tax/ Tax Adjusted Profits etc??

Let me know :)

Thanks

Clodagh

To be honest, everything I have attended the revision lectures in UCD but she was like speedy. My lecturer isnt great, she reads from the book and any questions she just refers to the solutions or Revenue website.

I seem to have a mental block on Tax like I had for Economics.Probably from 4ish this Friday actually my boss is away this Friday 17th IF your free so I can confirm tomorrow is 2 hours ok? Either from 12.30 - 2.30 or from 3.30-5.30.

If I can give you a call tomorrow?

Regards

Valerie

quote=clodaghc;59840753]Hi

Great to hear from you.

I should be free to come to Stephens Green next friday- what time were you thinking of? And for how many hours?
    Meath is not a million miles from me either - as long as youre the Dublin side?? (I saw Clonee described as West Co Dublin today....)

Is there a particular part of the course you are worried about, ie VAT/ Income Tax/ Tax Adjusted Profits etc??

Let me know :)

Thanks

Clodagh[/quote]

hey

I totally understand, I got a mental block with Tax too - so much detail, so many topics all mixed up together...

Believe it or not it is possible to break it down piece by piece...

I work full time unfortunately so I couldnt make it to you during office hours... would you like me to come to you during the week next week in Meath? Or how about you could come to me?

I am going away this weekend so I couldnt make it on friday 17th, but Im still available on firday 24th.. or maybe a couple of hours after work next week?

Here is an exercise to make you feel better straight away though :
    Go to your revision seminar notes -pg 4- you will see a layout of the Income Tax computation. Learn to write out this layout by heart. This gives you the outline of your answer straight away - you dont need to understand the headings - just be able to write them out in the correct order.
    Then go to pg 9 - here is the format of the answer to the Tax Adjusted Profits question- again, no need to understand just yet, but make sure you can write this out....
    Finally go to the VAT section and learn the theory fomr page 17 to 25. Again, no need to understand, just learn it off by heart... This will help you in the VAT computation, as well as your Multiple Choice question....

Cheer up, you will get there!

hi there

i dont know if you received my last email!!!

my mobile is snip

Use the PM system if you want to give people numbers or email addresses.- DapperGent

• Advertisement

did you see my reply??? I just tried to ring you...Im working full time so can only do evenings and weekends (aside from this weekend) I'll text you my email address and you can mail me tomorrow??

clodaghc wrote: »
    did you see my reply??? I just tried to ring you...Im working full time so can only do evenings and weekends (aside from this weekend) I'll text you my email address and you can mail me tomorrow??

i was in the shower, I will drop you an email tomorrow when i have my week in front of me.

Nite speak to you tomorrow

Regs
    V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 murphyev

Hey there im new to this but hope you can help me, would it be possible for you to email me a copy of the notes from the seminar please? I missed it due to being sick and am really struggling with it! :mad:

Hi,

Can you send me your email address?

Would you like a few hours tuition also?

Thanks,

Clodagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 J-22

Can any1 please help me with Tax Year 1...I am freaking out!!??

I was unable to make the seminars & desperately need the notes!!

Use PM System please - DapperGent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 murphyev

Hey, Thanks for your quick reply my email is (Use PM System please - DapperGent), I have seen from your posts that you are in Dublin/Meath area I am in Cork so I dont think ill be able to get the tutoring!

Thanks again for the notes im really hoping they'll help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caroline pl.

murphyev wrote: »
    Hey, Thanks for your quick reply my email is , I have seen from your posts that you are in Dublin/Meath area I am in Cork so I dont think ill be able to get the tutoring!

Thanks again for the notes im really hoping they'll help!

Hey murphyev, any chance you could email me over the notes? Really stuck on taxation myself, exams are getting closer and my tutor is pretty useless... You'd save my life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FlanneryK

Hi everyone,

It's good to see i'm not the only one having a mind block when it comes to the Tax module! :eek:

Unfortunately I couldn't attend any of the revision classes - would anyone be so kind as to send me on some of the notes???

I would be extremely grateful.. e-mail Use PM System please - DapperGent

please???? :cool:

if no one emails them to you they are available from the IATI for €35.

good luck with your exams:)

Thank you - best of luck to you all as well...

On the site you can buy the notes for either Belfast, Cork, Dublin or Galway... the IATI said they are all of a similar content i'm just wondering if anyone went to any of these days and would recommend the notes? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Would highly recommend the notes, especially for tax.

Hi there - which day did you attend? I've been advised all are slightly different???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Redbilby

Hello to the IATI students currently struggling with revisions, me too! Is anyone doing this course through McKeon Murray like me? I am having probs with the Law & Ethics as well as Bus. Mgmt. so much theory to try to jam into my head. Any tips from anyone would be gratefully received. tks.

And Clodagh's tips on the Tax are great, thanks for posting that, once you get the forms down in your head then you can muddle it out, takes time but it works. I only wish you lived closer to Cork Clodagh, I could do with a friendly tutor.

RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mickeygreen

Hi could i possibly get those seminar notes off you aswell and maybe arrange a session next week if you have the time. I have missed a lot of lectures this year due to illness and i'm struggling to catch up. I do have the next few weeks off on study leave though but if i could get any notes off you that would be amazing. My email is Use PM System please - DapperGent Thanks

Hi all could anyone sort me out with some seminar notes for tax or law &ethics. I'm really struggling with them and although id paid for all the seminars i couldnt attend those 2. Ud be a life-saver!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 Lizzie4711

Hi,
    Wondering can anyone help here ? I have to sit the above exam in August for the IATI which I find absolutely headwrecking!. If I don't pass this exam, I have to sit all four for Year 2 again as I have reached the 6 year rule. (I have the other 3 done). Has anyone notes or Revision Notes from Seminars held over the years ? The IATI are not doing any seminars for this subject this year, probably I'm the only one sitting it!. If anyone can help, I'd be really really grateful!. Please!.:eek:

Hi, I have the Taxation II Seminar Revision Notes from April 5th. I can e-mail them to you if you wish.

Lizzie4711 wrote: »
    Hi, I have the Taxation II Seminar Revision Notes from April 5th. I can e-mail them to you if you wish.
    I'm only doing taxation 1. You don't have those do you?

Sorry. Only Taxation II.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

is anyone else having problems with all the errors in the pilot papers especially tax2?

i was on to iati to ask were we supposed to do the computations in the exams, the same as the questions with the errors and i was told there was no errors and the exam answers should be in line with the pilot paper:confused:

every single question on pilot paper 2 has errors, i have sent a list of these errors to iati but no joy

Advertisement