Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shampoo for psoriasis

• 12-10-2006 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

can anybody suggest a shampoo for psoriasis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

katiemac wrote:
    can anybody suggest a shampoo for psoriasis
    I have psoriasis too and get it on my scalp from time to time. Right now is one of that times. :( I've had it for years and tried lots of shampoos. T Gel is ok but very harsh and stops being effective after a while, I find this is the case for most tar based shampoos now. Head and Shoulders is the work of the devil so stay well away. ;) I sometimes use Eucerin which is very gentle and soothing on my scalp and stops it itching quite so much. However the best (IMHO) is one I buy from Australia. Check out this site www.hopes.com.au. The have other creams etc for skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema etc and its not too expensive and works really really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 vixie

hey katiemac, i have tried a few shampoos, and the ones i get best results are Polytar, T- Gel and Head and Shoulders for everyday use. I find that i cant use either the Polytar or T - Gel all the time i find them too harsh, but if you use them in conjunction with Head and Shoulders, you should find a difference in the condition of your scalp. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

thanks Vixie. I will try those shampoos you suggested. Have you accessed the psoriasis assoc website in Ireland ?
    It's very good and has lots of info.
    I find that lots of people don't know what psoriasis is? Have you found that?
    try www.psoriasisireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

I use Psoriaderm a cold tar shampoo I got my chemist to order for me and generally I find it works the best.

Also when my scalp is not actually flared up I find a Tea-tree shampoo is most effective at preventing problems and is also very soothing and not as harsh. I use a kerastese one I get from my hairdressers but I'm sure there's many other brands out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I found that tea tree shampoo was the most soothing for my scalp when I had the psorasis. The poly tar and t-gel were quite harsh (I couldn't use condidtioner with them - it lessened their effectiveness and left my hair very dry) head and shoulders just dried my hair out long-term.

Tea-tree shampoo and conditioner were gentle enough for my hair with the added benefit of easing the itching of my scalp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Folks I have one for you and I kid you not, urine. I have v bad condition on my arms and when it flares up I rub urine on it. Probably a turn off to alot of folks but its totally natural and you know where it coming from. I was given this cure by a native american indian medicine man who has since passed away. It is amazing stuff for any skin inflamation. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

While we're on the thread-creep of weird cures, I heard a programme on BBC World Service years ago by a couple of Americans, I think it was, who were travelling in Turkey.

They discovered a place - my hazy memory says it was about 200 miles from Ankara, but maybe it was from Istanbul... anyway, there were three lakelets in this place, and people came from all over Turkey and the Middle East to lie first in one, then in the second, then in the third.

There were fish in the lakelets, not found anywhere else, which nibbled away the psoriasis, and these explorers claimed that it provided a permanent - or anyway long-lasting - cure.

As far as I remember, one of the pair himself had psoriasis, and he said after doing the three-lakes thing he hadn't been troubled again by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

I have heard that the seawater off Greece and Turkey is very good for psoriasis. One type of fish nibbles away and clears the skin while another variety rubs against and soothes the exposed skin. The psoriasis is kept at bay, pardon the pun, for many months.
    I have also heard people in Ireland saying swimming in the sea is very good for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

katiemac wrote:
    I have heard that the seawater off Greece and Turkey is very good for psoriasis. One type of fish nibbles away and clears the skin while another variety rubs against and soothes the exposed skin. The psoriasis is kept at bay, pardon the pun, for many months.
    I have also heard people in Ireland saying swimming in the sea is very good for it.
    Sea water is excellent for it. At one stage when mine was very bad I used to head to the beach a few times each week to collect some water and then when I'd get home soak my elbows in it. The lengths we psoriasis people go:D
    Psoriasis is a very individual condition and affects each person differently. Having reached the depths of despair when mine was very bad I tired anything and everything to make it better. In the end a combination of a change of diet, skin care regimes, drinking lots of water, trying to stay as stress free as possible worked. I've already posted this link but I'm going to again as I find their stuff very good and not expensive (well compared to the prices you can pay for a lot of these kinds of lotions etc) www.hopes.com.au There is also a company based in Donegal who make products for eczema and psoriasis treatment. I've used this in the past too and found it to be moderatly sucessful for me others may find it better www.dermacinz.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 htoobreme

I was a keen user of hopes shampoo and conditioner in Oz and i couldnt remember the name when i got back or find it online ... until today. I completely cleared my severe psoriasis in 2007-2008!! I have tried everything here and nothing worked - doctors lotions costing €50 just agrivated it!
    Ordered online at www. hopes.com.au got 2shampoo and 2 conditioner for €57....... cant wait for delivery now! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement