Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best gaming experience?

Options
  • 12-10-2006 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

what would be your best gaming experience? a game you played and think back upon wishing you could play it like that again? or that makes you want to play the game again.

For me it's Half Life, because I first played it about 5 years ago, the game was out a good while then, so what I did was I started playing it at the hardest difficulty, and my god, it was absolutly brilliant. I progressed slowly, but it meant I fully appreciated the game, it seemed to go on forever. I eventually got stuck at one point in I think it was in the Lambda Complex. There was a Tank, which you had to use to blow open a door, and then a sh*t load of enemies came running at you. I had f*ck all health.

I played the game again on medium difficulty and it was not nearly the same. I got through to the same point waaay too fast. And all the keystone parts of the game I remember from playing on difficult I flew through.

that was my best gaming experience, and unfortunatly I can never re-live it, what's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Having sex while playing Mario Kart. I lost but in many ways I won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64 or Mario Kart DS? and before you ask, yes it does matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

beating Thardus in Metroid Prime with only one bar of energy left, and then narrowly avoiding getting squished when he fell towards me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Planetside:

Loading a full galaxy dropship with the platoons elite.
    Flying into enemy terrority where a huge battle is going on.
    We drop on the fkkrs, and gun the bitches down, the base is ours.

Its times like that I wonder why people are leaving Planetside :(

EDIT: W00Ps, I didnt know we were talking retro :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There are probably too many to go into them all. Hal-Life was probably the best. Just the first 5 minutes where you can't do anything but look at everything that's going on around you on the monorail. The story just sucked me in.

And on a more sentimental note, installing Call Of Duty 2 on my Dad's computer and showing him how to play it (he hadn't played a game since the original Doom). Seeing his face light up in amazement was like watching kids opening presents at Christmas. Ah, good times, *sniff*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Funnily enough my best gaming experiences are from a long time ago.... Playing through games like Super Mario World, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Doom/Doom 2 (on ultraviolent), Zelda Link to the Past.

I don't think I've enjoyed many 'modern' games as much as those....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

TmB wrote:
    Funnily enough my best gaming experiences are from a long time ago.... Playing through games like Super Mario World, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Doom/Doom 2 (on ultraviolent), Zelda Link to the Past.

I don't think I've enjoyed many 'modern' games as much as those....
    image1lbe6.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Playing CS beta 3 in 1999 online. It was just so much fun i had never played on line before until that day. Some othere golden old's like Vulkan and lords of mid night. Lots of games to think of it but i wont start or i will never stop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My best was when I got Street Fighter on the SNES. My bro was excellent at it and we were playing a 2 player he was Ken and I was Blanka. I bet him in 2 seconds flat!! First time I beat him at the game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Zelda the ocarina of time. The first time i ran out into Hyrule Field i knew i was on to something big. What a game!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just recently I've had a really nice fussy feeling while playing a game. It was while playing Gradius V for the first time. At the midway point of the first level after flying out of the space station the music calms down and then the pilot says 'this is vic viper T301, commencing attack on the enemy' and the music kicks back into gear. I was sitting there sayign to myself 'Yep, I'm going to enjoy this game'. It also did it a second time when you are chasing after the huge mothership while it enters the earths atmosphere.

Most of my other best experiences are from older games. Playing FFVII for the first time, the MGS demo, Megaman 2, buying a saturn and discovering both how much of a wonderful machine it was and the superb Pnzer Dragoon Saga, being so jealous playing Super Mario World, Axelay and Contra 3 on my mates new SNES and discovering the superb Gunstar Heroes on the Megadrive.

I've had a lot of great times playing multiplayer games with mates at a lan were the atmosphere is uncompetitiive and the only goal is to have a much fun as possible. The buggier the game the better. Remember a particular game of CS in the jeepathon level, a bug ridden level which valve included to test out the vehicle code. We used to play it by fitting about 8 players on each jeep and using only gangster weapons while trying to do drive bys on each other. I Remember the team we were playing against took themselves out when the went up the big ramp awkwardly and they all fell out when the jeep did a spectacular physics defying jump only to have the jeep land on top of the whole team after they hit the ground. It was magnificient to watch.

Had some great game of the Hidden a recent lan. Looks like we will be playing it an awful lot more at lans since it can be played with any amount of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Ultima 2 and 3 on the Atari, Half life on the PC, Doom on the PC also, ICO, some of the text adventure games on the atari were excellent too, Everquest 1, and WoW while it lasted (about 2 months)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Final Fantasy 7. So indept, the bits that made u go WOW! Awesome experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

MGS 1 for me, that game had some absolute great moments such as:
    Wandering around for about an hour checking everywhere to find Meryls secret codec on the cd case, until you finally look at the back of the game box and there it is in a screenshot. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Road Rash on the Mega Drive - booting Public Enemy #1 into an oncoming truck to take the lead - still smile to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ciaran500 wrote:
    image1lbe6.jpg

;)
    Nonsense. Has to Doom for me also.

I remember playing a death match game in a net café about ten years ago. There was absolutely nothing else like it at the time and I was totally blown away by the experience.

And I must have played through the shareware game (first nine levels) about 50 times back in the day.. was a good few years before I managed to get my hands on the full version.

Best. Game. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

BadCharlie wrote:
    Playing CS beta 3 in 1999 online.

You got that sh1t right there! 1999 was the BEST year i have had so far for playing games online, the old CS ROCKED compared to the new ones, i loved playing escape missions! Team fortress Classic! Action Half life! One game id love to go back and play would be Ultima Online: the second age, when Ultima was good! Half life on PC as many mentioned. X-com apocalypse on PC( i still play it the odd time ). I prefered DOOM on the sega saturn, it seemed to run a bit slower but i prefered the music in it. Iv got a few more games but in the past 1 or 2 years i have been VERY disapointed in games, the only two recent games iv enjoyed and still regularly play them if i have the time is Oblivion and Dawn of War. Iv been let down so many times its putting me off games! bring back the oldies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Doom
    Duke Nukem
    Descent

In Deathmatch on PC. Blew me away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I prefered DOOM on the sega saturn, it seemed to run a bit slower but i prefered the music in it.

Ah now. Doom on the saturn was the worst conversion of it. Even the GBA, jaguar and 32X versions were far better. It had missing levels, crap framrate and only the front view of enemy animations were included (the Ps1 version had full animations despite it having less RAM). I think it was programmed by those shams at probe software.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

At the moment and the last 18 months its WOW that im loving,nothing else comes close for me :)
    Also enjoy my racing sims like rfactor and GTR2,competed in some GPL and nascar leagues in the past.
    Fond memories also of my DOD days playing in UK and Euro leagues.

On consoles i totally loved PES,tempted to by a 360 just for PES6 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Super Metroid;
    I'm not going to bother explaining why this game is just so goddamn special to me. Stop reading this, fire up an emulator and play the damn thing for yourself already!

Resident Evil 4;
    It just had so many of those special "moments"... moments that make you sit back and realise what an utterly fantastic game you're playing.
    Even the low point of the game had those moments in spades...
    playing as Ashley
    Stop reading this and scoot over to play.com to buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

SF2 in Arcade then on Snes
    Zelda Hyrule field.
    Wipeout on Ps2 being a mates score by .0009999 seconds
    Bf42 1st time getting into a tank online i "hur hur hur hured" for hours TANKS!!! big ones!!!
    Rogue Trooper (this year) just an oldie type thing that was well made.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Probably the most memorable experiences have been from RPGs. FF7 and Chrono Trigger to name a few. Chrono Trigger was a great find because I had never heard that it was a brilliant game, I just happened to have it.

CS has always been my favourite game though ever since beta 6.5 when I started playing. I still play on and off these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's been a few....
    - Metroid Prime 100% ending - set up the sequel so nicely... shame MP2 just wasn't as good!

- Finishing Zelda: WW in the early hours of Christmas Day 2003... beating Ganondorf while everyone around me was frantically wrapping presents!

- Hitting lv60 in WoW with my paladin... pretty much solo'ing the last 40k of exp with just one guildmate online keeping me going the whole time, then hearthstoning to get my PvP blues from the SW bank and realising that, though it was 6am server, she'd got 5 of my best friends in-game standing outside to congratulate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Finishing Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master System,

Sonic 1&2 on the Mega Drive

FFVII on the ps

For this gen, I have to agree with tman, RE4 is superb. The best thing about the game for me is that its just so replayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Damn so many.

Thunderhawk on the mega cd. One of the very few great games on it. Really was amazing for it's time.

Getting a playstation on the day before it's release with a copy of wipeout. Such a huge leap in graphics, sound, control and gameplay from what I was used to.

The original resident evil and mgs were pretty mindblowing at the time as well as there was nothing else like them out there. Amazing experiences with both.

Solidly playing zelda ocarina of time on a borrowed n64 trying to finish it before I had to give it back while my girlfriend at the time got more and more pissed off at the amount of hours I was spending on it. Was worth it though :p

Playing half life and cs beta 3 at our local net cafe with mates got me into pc gaming. Both were like nothing I had played before. I was hooked to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

OH, I also remember, years ago, my older brother was mates with a guy who owned a computer shop off O'Connell St (back in the days when you could rent PC games). They had a little back room that my brothers mate and another guy were playing some game. It sounded fun so I popped in to see what, at the time, was the most amazing game I'd ever seen. He told me he had just downloaded it off a BBS and that it was doing the rounds of all the colleges. It was my first glimpse at Wolfenstein 3D. Man I loved those Nazi b*stards :o

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

finally beating CoD2 on vet mode - loved that game so much. Got it for the 360 and getting the 1000 GPs for it was great, i'd never have replayed it if not for the GPs.

Playing Final Fantasy 7 - so much to do and experience in it, the scale of the game was massive, spent hours in that Arcade place in it, can't remember what its called now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Ah now. Doom on the saturn was the worst conversion of it. Even the GBA, jaguar and 32X versions were far better. It had missing levels, crap framrate and only the front view of enemy animations were included (the Ps1 version had full animations despite it having less RAM). I think it was programmed by those shams at probe software.

i agree with you, it was slow, slow as HELL. However on the saturn it was the first time i played a DOOM game at all and in fairness after playing the PC one the only reason i like the saturn version is because of its atmospheric music, just somthing about fast electric techno music on the PC didnt get my attention as much :) . Another game was Hexen on the saturn as well, man i loved that game, it was so hard, it was impossible to find where you had to go to continue and you were going in circles trying to find the right exit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

The bit with the dogs through the window in Resident Evil.

You know the bit.

What a moment.

Also Bllodbath said:
    Solidly playing zelda ocarina of time on a borrowed n64 trying to finish it before I had to give it back while my girlfriend at the time got more and more pissed off at the amount of hours I was spending on it. Was worth it though

I hear that my friend! Worth every minute. (the game, not the girl).

SFII and Zelda on SNES. The first time i got the extra video/music after finishing SFII on 7 stars. Christ I love that game.

The bit where link opens the desert palace after reading the book of madura - remember that? when the little spotlight shines on him and the music changes? Everything about that game was class.

This gen, my first Silent Assassin after bloody ages trying in Hitman Contracts was nice. And every single second of Resi 4 on the gamecube. Especially the village (i love this bit in the mercenaries).

Advertisement