Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best gaming experience?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Being ecstatic at finally beating sepiroth at the end of ff7 then disapointed at realising the game I had just put a 100+ hours into was finally over :(
    Best game ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

miss those old days so much...playing games day and night...

just write down watever i got in mind when i m thinking 'happy game time and wish to try that again':

megaman(especially the one on GB with bosses are named of planets),
    megaman X (especially 1 and 4),
    FF(4,6,7),
    Resident evil 1&2,
    zelda:link's awakening/ocarina of time on GB/N64,
    mario/warioS on GB/N64,
    Super Robot Wars Alpha,
    Starcraft ,
    warcraft3,
    and of course,playing CS with friends on LAN!:D

emm....dreamy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Jaysus, I forgot long long nights of ISS on N64, This is football on PSone and various Pro Evos on PS2.

Me and my mate would get a rake of cans and play for hours and hours, both on the same team winning world cups etc. I remember he scored one from off the underside of the bar with Patrick Vieira in an Ireland shirt (we did a half arsed effort to get Arsenal and put them over Ireland - doesn't make sense to me either) from miles outside the box. That was in 1999. It's one of my favourite memories of any game ever.

Good times. F*cking good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Lemmings, Mario, Half life death match, CS, TFC and DAOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Ah now. Doom on the saturn was the worst conversion of it. Even the GBA, jaguar and 32X versions were far better. It had missing levels, crap framrate and only the front view of enemy animations were included (the Ps1 version had full animations despite it having less RAM). I think it was programmed by those shams at probe software.
    sounds like the SNES version

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least the Snes version was a playable technical achievement. It also ran better than the saturn version. The saturn was capable of much more, just look at the excellent Duke 3D and Quake conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

For me it's gotta be:

SFII
    Zelda: OoT
    Half Life 2
    RE4
    Various Pro Evos

And the ultimate, FFVII! What a game, so many hours well spent playing that masterpiece!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

shockingly - i enjoyed FF8 even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Tauren wrote:
    shockingly - i enjoyed FF8 even more!

Freak

ahhh i'm only kiddin.

but who ever mentioned road rash just bought so many memories flooding back there. Absolutely love that game. Input the cheat from aertel and unlock the black bike. awesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I've never played FFVII.

100+ hours? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Silent Service 2!! legend game - seriously oldschool....

Dune 2 - best game ever

Civ 2 - better than Dune 2

and much later on

FF7 - so big....

Lastly - Counterstrike, first LAN game I ever played - 'Holy sh1t - im actually shooting my mates!'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mario Cart
    SFII Turbo
    4 player system link HALO 2
    International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
    Donkey Kong Country
    Pro Evo 4
    Tiger Woods 2004
    Armagetron
    Tetris

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

So many games to think of ..... so little time.

Donkey Kong 1,2,3 on Snes.....wasted so many brilliant hours on it.
    007 Golden Eye on N64......wasted so many brilliant weeks on it.

Half-Life 2 was a top game but my best experience was playing the first Call of Duty . I had just got a 21" monitor, new speakers and the bird had gone out for the night . Sat down, turned off the lights and installed the game. That first sequence when the boys are parachuting down beside ya accompanied but the deafening sounds of the nazis blasting rounds at ya ... I was numb......best buzz ever!!!!!

Can't wait for Call of Duty 3 by the way :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Final Fantasy 7 : After probably ten - twenty hours of chocobo rearing, when that little gold chocobo was born and I ran across sea and mountains to unlock Knights of the Round and unleashed the devestating force of that attack. I probably peed a little.

Half Life 2 : After 3 hours installing the blooming thing, the GMan came on the screen and my jaw hit the floor. Then I walked outside and was hit with the most spectacular sight in computer gaming history : City 17 in all it's glory. AND THEN running across rooftops while getting fired at. Why it instantly registered in my Top 2 games of all time.

Resident Evil 4 : The siege. After five minutes of frantic fighting i got my head chopped off by a chainsaw in the most gory effect id ever seen in a game. I litreally had to pause the game for a while and just sit in stunned silence as the terror and excitement of what Id just played finally kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

on the PS in the front room of our student house in 1999.

10+ screaming people (most of whom never before and never since) have had the slightest interest in computer games.

Alot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Final Fantasy 7 : After probably ten - twenty hours of chocobo rearing, when that little gold chocobo was born and I ran across sea and mountains to unlock Knights of the Round and unleashed the devestating force of that attack. I probably peed a little.

Lol how could I forget ff7. I put some serious hours into that game and loved every minute of it. Took bloody ages to get that gold chocobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lol how could I forget ff7. I put some serious hours into that game and loved every minute of it. Took bloody ages to get that gold chocobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

ahh, we can't just have one best gaming experience, there's too many to even list them :(

Mario Kart -- any of them but esp. the N64 version
    Goldeneye N64
    Zelda and the ocarina of time N64
    HL and HL2 + mods
    Double Dragon arcade
    Golden Axe arcade
    Street fighter II arcade
    Worms
    Lemmings
    Tetris arcade
    Super Sprint arcade

C64 listing:
    Bubble Bobble
    Bionic Commando
    Buggy Boy
    Combat School -- because we killed every joystick known to man completing it :D
    California games
    Dig Dug
    Frogger (I've gone too far now)
    The Last Ninja series
    Nebulus
    Nemesis the Warlock
    Outrun
    Paperboy
    Skate or Die
    Spy Vs. Spy
    Wonderboy
    Winter Games

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee on the PS and so many, many more I have failed to mention because I have somewhat relieved my little stint of boredom. I'm getting all nostalgic looking at those games from others now :D

I can't pick one but if I really have to then it goes to Zelda and the ocarina of time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Doom on the PC and then my 32X..
    Super Mario Kart on the Snes.
    Streets of Rage 1 on the megadrive.
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the megadrive.
    Street Fighter 2.
    Nemisis on the Commodore64.
    1942 in the arcade and some spectrum.
    Road Rash on the 3DO.
    Mario 3 on the Nes.
    Wipeout on the Playstation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Ocarina of Time, when I got out onto the fields and the morning dew was beginnning to settle on the grass. Or climbing to the top of that windmill in Kokiro <???> village. Wouldn't have the same impact anymore.

Or figuring out the dungeon pattern in Mario 1 on the NES, and beating Bowser. Don;t think I'd have the patience anymore for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

god so many

but 2 standout like bright rays of sunshine

Space rogue on the commodore 64 - spent an absolute fortune buying the 1541 11 5 and a quarter inch disk drive for the 64 just so i could play that game

and

Midwinter on the amiga

Lost hours of my life o those games

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I have two Pro Evo 5 on the Ps2 and Conflict Global Storm on the Xbox.
    I remember playing Pro Evo 5 till about 2 in the morning with my Dad even tough I had school and he had work the next morning. We done that for about a week straight on Master League. Brilliant.

I rented out Conflict Global Storm and was staying at my mates 4 of us playing the campaign on Split Screen. We started at about 7 and stopped at 6 in the morning. We only stopped because we had finished the game.

Good Times.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The first time I booted up Quake on my brand spanking new PC with a brand spanking new rendition graphics card back in 95/96, blew my socks off, great soundtrack too.
    Then playing Doom on my PS1 at 3 in the morning while visiting a mate on night duty.
    Beating WipEout at a Sony party late in Gamesworld on Liffey St, while hammered, quite a surprise actually, first time I'd done it!
    Seeing SuperMario64 for the first time.
    Getting to the latter stages of Halo, watching the rather insane Monitor twittering along to itself, then later watching your dropship, the Foehammer, get shot down and that run along the length of the Pillar of Autumn in the Warthog, sweet!
    But most of all was getting my 3DO, must have been 94 or so and buying The Need For Speed, while everyone else was playing MarioKart I was racing along the Californian coast in a Viper, and while I think of it, playing Star Control 2 on the same console, some of the best in game dialog and music ever!

Advertisement