Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch/gear trouble

Options
  • 12-10-2006 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place or if I'm supposed to post it at all but if anybody out there can tell me what might be wrong, I'd be grateful.

I just got into the car and couldn't put it into first or reverse or any gear. I ended up putting it in second and starting the car, got it into third but then it wouldn't budge from third. I had to switch off and start again. It won't go into any gear easily and some not at all. Any idea what's wrong before I ring my garage man?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

ah, your gearbox is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Please, please tell me you are joking.:(

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place or if I'm supposed to post it at all but if anybody out there can tell me what might be wrong, I'd be grateful.

I just got into the car and couldn't put it into first or reverse or any gear. I ended up putting it in second and starting the car, got it into third but then it wouldn't budge from third. I had to switch off and start again. It won't go into any gear easily and some not at all. Any idea what's wrong before I ring my garage man?:(

Wish I was.... If you can put it in 1st or 2nd and the car moves then it may be not as bad, i doubt its the linkage to the gear box but that would be less expensive.

Chances are the gear cogs are damaged and the gearbox will have to come out and be rebuilt. Get it lifted to a garage and dont damage it anymore. I hope its something simple for you, but its going to need a rebuild if the damage is in the box. cost me €480 for a rebuild and refit, in a backstreet garage.

I'd love to say thanks for the information but I wouldn't be able to get the words out between sobs. This couldn't have come at a worse time. Well, at least I know when the garage guy starts looking gloomy and expensive that he's not taking the piss out of me because I'm a woman. Th...sob... an... sob sob...ks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

want2play wrote:
    ah, your gearbox is gone!

Might not be gearbox, could be clutch cable, clutch slave cylinder, clutch components, pedal problem, etc. What make/model is the car??? What does the clutch pedal feel like when you press it, does it feel normal???

• Advertisement

want2play wrote:
    Wish I was.... If you can put it in 1st or 2nd and the car moves then it may be not as bad, i doubt its the linkage to the gear box but that would be less expensive.

Chances are the gear cogs are damaged and the gearbox will have to come out and be rebuilt. Get it lifted to a garage and dont damage it anymore. I hope its something simple for you, but its going to need a rebuild if the damage is in the box. cost me €480 for a rebuild and refit, in a backstreet garage.

Please stop giving stupid advice to the OP. A gearbox problem is the worst case scenario here, this could easily be a simple problem from the information she has given.

True could be the clutch....I persumed you tried for that, see if the clutch holds the car - if it dosent should be easier on the pocket!

want2play wrote:
    True could be the clutch....I persumed you tried for that, see if the clutch holds the car - if it dosent should be easier on the pocket!

What are you on about, "the clutch holding the car"??? You obviously haven't a clue what your talking about.

Darragh29 wrote:
    Please stop giving stupid advice to the OP. A gearbox problem is the worst case scenario here, this could easily be a simple problem from the information she has given.

Oh ok darragh, preparing for the worse case scenario is stupid?

I really hope its simple but Im going by past experience, isnt that why people post on forums? for others advise / experience....you idiot.

want2play wrote:
    Oh ok darragh, preparing for the worse case scenario is stupid?

I really hope its simple but Im going by past experience, isnt that why people post on forums? for others advise / experience....you idiot.

You don't send someone off to buy a gearbox just because you had a similar problem in the past that required you to buy a gearbox! Finding out what the problem is with her car is a process of elimination. You advised her that she needed a new gearbox without asking a single question about the make/model, what the clutch pedal feels like, etc. That's just pure thick.

• Advertisement

Right darragh whatever you say, your in the wrong thread to be bitching.

As I said earlier; I persumed the clutch was already ruled out.

The first thing you'll notice is the pedal getting spongy on it then it gets hard to get in gear,and then you might feel it slipping a little,the slipping is usually what gives it away,and by the time you feel it slipping,its usually to late to save it,and another thing you might feel in it is a chatter when you let the pedal out,these are the most common things you,ll notice on a wearing clutch.

Just pointing out fact. The OP said nothing about a clutch problem being ruled out. She said she couldn't get gear and you told her to get a new gearbox-FACT.

Darragh29 wrote:
    You don't send someone off to buy a gearbox just because you had a similar problem in the past that required you to buy a gearbox! Finding out what the problem is with her car is a process of elimination. You advised her that she needed a new gearbox without asking a single question about the make/model, what the clutch pedal feels like, etc. That's just pure thick.

Where did I tell her go off and buy a new gearbox? Are you illiterate as well as stupid?

I said what was from my own experience, I told her to get it to a garage and IF the gear box is damaged it MAY need a rebuild.

Jesus theres some people here with no common sense.

up for anything; take it to a garage to be sure.

Darragh29 wrote:
    Just pointing out fact. The OP said nothing about a clutch problem being ruled out. She said she couldn't get gear and you told her to get a new gearbox-FACT.

Well? Im still looking for where I said "get a new gearbox"? - FACT.

OP, please feel free to PM me on this if you want a professional opinion on the problem you have. I'm not getting into a debate with someone on this thread who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What is the make, model and year of the car? It may be your clutch and/or selector mechanism.

Did this problem happen 'all of a sudden' or has it been present for sometime, but slowly getting worse?

want2play wrote:
    Well? Im still looking for where I said "get a new gearbox"? - FACT.

But darragh you cant even read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Can you kids stop squabbling for long enough to help her???

Sheeesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

sorry i didnt read all that nonsense aobve, can some mod please delete it all!
    i thought i had gearbox problems recently, i was sometimes unable to push into/out of 1st and 2nd, i got the clutch cable shortened/tightened, and its been working a charm since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

the 1st guy that said your gearbox is gone is a tool!

95% sure it will be either

Clutch : pressure plate (you will need a new clutch)

Master cylinder for the clucth or either slave cylinder (or both)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

stevenk wrote:
    sorry i didnt read all that nonsense aobve, can some mod please delete it all!
    i thought i had gearbox problems recently, i was sometimes unable to push into/out of 1st and 2nd, i got the clutch cable shortened/tightened, and its been working a charm since.

only helps for a while stevenk.i had the same problem in a a jap jeep(remains nameless:rolleyes: )i cudnt put it into first gear or reverse.so the mechanic told me put it into second then first so the cogs r spinning.it worked for a wile til he got the clutch.twas a clutch in mine anyway:mad: complete new clutch for me twas bout 370€ and i didnt pay for labour coz i know the mechanic well;) hope its only a simple problem for u tho.bring it to a mechanic u know and trust:rolleyes: theres a few good ones out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was going to say clutch cable as well.

Need more details as to the type of the car.

Is the making loud grinding noises when you try to engage any of the gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Sounds a bit like what happened to me and my brother ( 2 puntos ). It turned out that it was the pressure plate that went in my car and I needed a new clutch. It came to 250e all together but then I knew the mechanic.

Many thanks for all your input, lads. Is this what goes on behind the scenes in garages around the country when we leave our cars in! Knock down fights between the mechanics. No wonder when we come back to pick up the car there is always a hefty bill to pay. Everything in the engine gets changed just in case because no one can agree on any one thing.:D :D

Seriously, thanks. My mechanic came out to have a look at it. He sat into the car put his foot on the clutch and changed gears effortlessly.:o Why was my first thought 'oh ****e, I've brought him 15 miles into town for nothing' instead of 'thank f***, it's working ok and I won't have to shell out hundreds on new parts and labour.':D

He reckons it was an air bubble that got trapped. He said when he depressed the clutch the first time he did think there was a problem with it but he pumped it and then brought it up fully and it seemed to clear. He checked the engine for leakages and listened inside the engine bay to the sound the clutch made when I depressed it and said it all seems tickety boo. Relief all round.:D

Jood wrote:
    Sounds a bit like what happened to me and my brother ( 2 puntos ). It turned out that it was the pressure plate that went in my car and I needed a new clutch. It came to 250e all together but then I knew the mechanic.

Punto's are famous for clutch failure. In my garage the Valeo 3 piece clutch kit for Punto's is the fastest moving item on the shelf.

I drive a Chrysler Voyager seven seater.

Many thanks for all your input, lads. Is this what goes on behind the scenes in garages around the country when we leave our cars in! Knock down fights between the mechanics. No wonder when we come back to pick up the car there is always a hefty bill to pay. Everything in the engine gets changed just in case because no one can agree on any one thing.:D :D

Thankfully no. In well run garages such as my own, professional people are training to use a systematic process of elimination to acurately diagnose faults first time every time. This is why I got annoyed with the other poster here, telling you your gearbox is fu*ked when it clearly isn't. If you had have taken his advice, your car would now be on the back of a tow truck (around 150 Euro) and you'd be wasting your time ringing scrapyards looking for a gearbox...

Seriously though, if you have an air bubble in your clutch hydraulic line, it might be indicating an upcoming seal problem at the clutch cylinder at the pedal or the clutch slave cylinder at the bell housing. Modern clutches now use a CSC (Concentric Slave Cylinder), which integrates the clutch release bearing and the clutch slave cylinder into a CSC which is located inside the bell housing of the gearbox, this CSC might be leaking out oil, keep an eye on your clutch fluid level. If its dropping, the fluid is leaking out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Had a similar problem with my focus, just wouldn't go into gear. Crawled down to a garage and he bled the clutch fluid. Couldn't get it working at all and just walked away "Sorry mate we're booked in all week", left me stranded as he locked up the garage. Rang the AA and was sorted in 10 minutes.

He just refilled the clutch fluid and pumped the pedal till there was a bite again, i was very relieved - no gearbox replacement!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

You might be lucky just having to replace a syncro or 2.. Or try "Mr Gearbox"

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote:
    Had a similar problem with my focus, just wouldn't go into gear. Crawled down to a garage and he bled the clutch fluid. Couldn't get it working at all and just walked away "Sorry mate we're booked in all week", left me stranded as he locked up the garage. Rang the AA and was sorted in 10 minutes.

He just refilled the clutch fluid and pumped the pedal till there was a bite again, i was very relieved - no gearbox replacement!

I have a customer who stopped at a traffic light one day and when he went to take off, the clutch pedal went straight to the floor. He got the AA to tow him to the nearest garage, they had a look at it, (found out that a small piece of metal had come off the clutch pedal and it was no longer connected to the clutch cylinder, approximate cost of repair was under 200 Euro for new pedal box and other clips, etc), decided to tell him it was his clutch that was gone and wanted to charge him 1,300 Euro for replacing it (was a performance car).

He smelled a fish and had the car brought in to my place on a recovery truck for a second opinion and I think we had him sorted for 150/180 Euro or something like that...

Cowboys Ted!

Advertisement