Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help my brother choose between trinity and galway

• 12-10-2006 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    my little brother just started engineering in trinity, he wants to do civil. when i went to trinity 10 years ago civil there did not have a great name compared with say ucd i recall. well he just got upgraded in a few subjects and now will get offered galway (common engineering i think with view to do civil). should he change to galway? will it make any difference when he wants to get a job after college?
    thanks for all help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Galway definately!!! although im just saying that cos im from there n i love it!! Theres no place like home and all that ;)
    Another thing with the engineering course in galway is that for the first year you do a bit of everything...like electronics, computers, civil etc... its varied and then you get to pick after that which i think is so much better. Whose to say that when you start a course its not what you think it is or you dont like it etc.. and then you drop out n gotta start again from scratch. know what i mean? i presuming that the course in trinity is pure civil eng ya? so with NUI least you'll get to see what the other bits n bobs are bout and you'll know your making right choice cos you've had the experience and not just goin on opinions of others
    ..and the college nightlife in Galway is brill!!
    God i miss college :( and Galway:( :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

fifib wrote:
    Another thing with the engineering course in galway is that for the first year you do a bit of everything...like electronics, computers, civil etc... its varied and then you get to pick after that which i think is so much better. Whose to say that when you start a course its not what you think it is or you dont like it etc.. and then you drop out n gotta start again from scratch. know what i mean? i presuming that the course in trinity is pure civil eng ya?

Engineering courses in Trinity follow a common course for the first 2 years. Only diverge in 3rd year.

Trinity probably doesn't have as good a name in engineering as it might do in other areas, but whether he should switch to Galway now is debatable. Whether he gets his degree from TCD or NUIG shouldn't make a whole lot of difference in the longer term. Probably best to stay where he is. After 2nd year he'll be free to do whichever speciality he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Ring some large eng companies, ask to speak to a senior engineer and get some advice.

I have heard that the trinity civil degree is considered one of the weakest in the country, but the best way to check this is to ring some of the big players.

Advertisement