Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed needed for a web server

Options
  • 12-10-2006 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

hi,

at the company where i work we are considering running our own webservers, the broadband package we have at the momment is this one:
    Product Details
    Its very good and reilable, but i'm sure if it will be enough for a sever with some busy sites on it?

any thoughts? anyone here run there own server and if so what bb do the use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

If its vital the sites are up , you should look at having it hosted with a hosting company, most BB providers do not allow you to host web servers off your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

The BB business package you linked to only has a 512kb upload, if you do intend to use this service to host, if the sites are busy, users will notice the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

yea i know, we have most the problems assosiated with having are own server, UPS and server etc but i think we will have to look at getting a sdsl bb if demand takes off. We don't know what it will be like now because it is a new service we'll be offering.
    can any recomend a good sdsl provider with a good businees package

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want sdsl talk to magnet

thought as much no one else at it? no?

• Advertisement

I don't think so.. I could be wrong of course...

Doubt it :):)

frodo_dcu wrote:
    Doubt it :):)

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Best thing to do is figure out how many concurrent users you want the site to handle. Figure at -least- 20kbps uplink from the server required for each user.

For a 512Kbps uplink so, you could theoretically handle roughly 25 people on the site at once. However, figure in contention, the extra latency inherent in DSL and reliability and you will start seeing 'slowness' at less than 10 users.

To give you an example, a site like www.boards.ie has a 100Mbps uplink, and sustains 8-10Mbps of outbound transit most of the time.

thanks for the info steve, exactly the kind of figures i was lookin for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

Try a wireless company like Nova Networks in Cork. They offer 2MB up and down for a around the same as eircom offer the 512Mb up. As someone stated earlier though, if you can get Magnet definately go for them! 6Mb and contention free is an amazing offer!

Advertisement