Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm new here.

Options
  • 12-10-2006 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all. I just signed up for boards and hope to get to know you all.
    I'm doing Arts and hope to get into mode 1 history next year.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hey, welcome to boards! I'm sure you'll get to know us all in time.

We have beers occasionally, and sometimes we're known to get coffee as well.

I'm in fourth B&L, but there are plenty of arts students knocking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

Thank you for the welcome. I don't drink much but I like the pub buzz. I'm sure I will have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Hello! :)

If you've got any questions and feel a bit silly asking them, PM one of us and we'll give you a dig out.

I don't think there is such a thing as a silly question! :)

I haven't got an embarresment prob at all; but hey, thank you for the offer!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Hackman wrote:
    Hi all. I just signed up for boards and hope to get to know you all.
    I'm doing Arts and hope to get into mode 1 history next year.

Good call on arts
    Better call on boards

Welcome and general jizz-jazz! I'm one of many people you'll see with long hair floating around the Traps and the Newman building :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Hello, welcome, and all that was said above!

jimi_t wrote:
    Good call on arts
    Better call on boards

Welcome and general jizz-jazz! I'm one of many people you'll see with long hair floating around the Traps and the Newman building :)

Had to be Arts... had to be history... UCD has the one and only Hugh Gough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Welcome aboard... a Gough fan hey? He's good alright!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

watch out for him ^ he has a pervin mirror in his bag! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Le Rack wrote:
    watch out for him ^ he has a pervin mirror in his bag! :D

It was taken off me...

*Psst!! is it female??? Mmmmm....*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

no on, hack is a chap...

Who took the mirror! As scared as I was of it it was damn cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Welcome Hackman. I'm a first year in Rats aswell, slugs unite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Hackman wrote:

Hugh Gough = the greatest. Good reason for your choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Isn't he the guy who used to be against Kevin Hough on the Lyrics Board back when Aonghus Macanally presented it? :confused:

:p

Welcome aboard, Sir Hack of Manliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

beanyb wrote:
    Hugh Gough = the greatest. Good reason for your choice!

Seconded.

Welcome Hacko dude! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

hi i'm new here too. I'm doing a postgrad in economics and currently banging my head off a keyboard in lg3 because I can't understand the computer programme we're learning. Anyone know where to go looking for decent grinds in UCD? Should I put a notice up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I *think* the SU have a grinds file with a list of people offering them. Best bet would be to contact the education officer. Putting up signs looking for them would probably help too though.

Oh and SS please dont associate Hugh Gough with the lyrics board... he's far too fabulous and intellectual for that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

beanyb wrote:
    I *think* the SU have a grinds file with a list of people offering them. Best bet would be to contact the education officer. Putting up signs looking for them would probably help too though.

You're right beany and its in the Students Union corridor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Hello Hackman, second arts here and agreeing on the whole Hugh Gough being great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hackman

.........word . Lovin The Gough. Will be a question in the Terror in the french revolution. Ill be my little cute bum on it. There is a tip for you free of charge. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

"Hugh Gough. Great lecturer, hard marker."

Discuss.

Vainglory wrote:
    "Hugh Gough. Great lecturer, hard marker."

Discuss.

In arguing that Prof. Hugh Gough is a great lecturer, one is immediately drawn to cite his charismatic lecturing style as his greatest asset. Gough possesses the rare ability to draw humour from the most mundane of topics and effortlessly caters to his audience, being both interesting as well as informative. His status is lent further gravitas by the reputation which preceeds him, students have heard about him before they've ever had the pleasure of attending a lecture.

Another of Gough's great attributes is his 'pulling power'. Not only is he masterful in that he can capture your attention while in the lecture theatre, but knowledge of how great he is a bound to be can compel you to attend a lecture that you otherwise would've sat out over in Hilpers or at The Wall.

Gough speaks in clearcut and measured notes, meaning that you not only hear every word but have time to take it down. His lectures display a clean thought process of important points surrounded by explanatory information which is easy for the listener to grasp and finally, his 'Terror in the French Revolution' is a small text quick wont break any studen't back or bank.

However, those who approach the Gough question for essays and exams must beware. A trade off to being a great lecturer means that Prof. Gough will expect you to have gleened your basics from lecture material and thus be well armed to do futher reading and make detailed, insightful arguments. While this is ostensibly fair, students the Arts block over and known to prefer subsisting on a diet of lecture notes gleaned and photocopied from some spotty nerd who bothered to attend. Thus remember, Gough is for life, not just for Christmas exams.

****, so below word count....gonna fail this one. :p

Elmyra

..... spends all her day In the Library. " working " talking to everyone on MSN and writing Vainglory's essay on The Gough. Hackman dont be like Elmo. Just because you are IN the library dosnt actually mean your going to do something.

Grimes wrote:
    Elmyra

..... spends all her day In the Library. " working " talking to everyone on MSN and writing Vainglory's essay on The Gough. Hackman dont be like Elmo. Just because you are IN the library dosnt actually mean your going to do something.

But it does help in purging your lazy procrastinating-induced guilt. Somewhat.

Elmyra..

This is clearly a well-researched essay, with a mature and considered approach.
    However, you have shown little or no evidence of further reading on the subject. I might suggest the classic text, "I Was On A 2:1 And Gough's Exam Scuppered Me", by A. Student (Oxford, 2002) for your studies before the exam.
    Also, please consult the department guidelines on footnotes.
    I did particularly like your reference to the spotty nerd. We all need one of those.
    60%.

Grimes wrote:
    Elmyra

Oy you! I take a bit of offence to that. I've done 600 words of an essay that's not due for another week in between my msn ramblings. Multitasking dear, it's a girl thing. ;)

Vainglory wrote:
    But it does help in purging your lazy procrastinating-induced guilt. Somewhat.

Elmyra..

This is clearly a well-researched essay, with a mature and considered approach.
    However, you have shown little or no evidence of further reading on the subject. I might suggest the classic text, "I Was On A 2:1 And Gough's Exam Scuppered Me", by A. Student (Oxford, 2002) for your studies before the exam.
    Also, please consult the department guidelines on footnotes.
    I did particularly like your reference to the spotty nerd. We all need one of those.
    60%.

Heh, cool. A 2:1 for 15 minutes work, sch-wing! *thinks Vainglory is best tutor ever :p *

elmyra wrote:
    Oy you! I take a bit of offence to that. I've done 600 words of an essay that's not due for another week in between my msn ramblings. Multitasking dear, it's a girl thing. ;)

I cant talk Im stil in bed. Anyway Hackman probably best if you avoid Elmyra at all costs lest you get dragged down into Libro-cyberspace. Also avoid me lest you get pulled into my bed bacause I havnt seemed to be able to get out of it in days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Hackman wrote:

Everyone loves Hugh!
    beanyb wrote:
    Oh and SS please dont associate Hugh Gough with the lyrics board... he's far too fabulous and intellectual for that! :D

He'd do it if they played Mozart, you know he would!

elmyra wrote:
    I've done 600 words of an essay that's not due for another week in between my msn ramblings. Multitasking dear, it's a girl thing. ;)

If it's the historiography one, I hate you. I've spent the last hour looking through those bloody online books to find the shortest one out of the lot of them.

Hackman, welcome to boards. History is great and we really do love it, even though we bitch about it a lot. If I was in first year again I'd apply for pure history too.

• Advertisement

Vainglory wrote:
    If it's the historiography one, I hate you. I've spent the last hour looking through those bloody online books to find the shortest one out of the lot of them.

Hackman, welcome to boards. History is great and we really do love it, even though we bitch about it a lot. If I was in first year again I'd apply for pure history too.

It is that one...worth pointing out that any of the books will do you because there's still only about a chapter on the given topic in them anyway...atleast that's what I'm finding with WW1. The tricky bit is finding historians who conflict with each other. *sigh*

Advertisement