Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vocab Anyone??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Grimes wrote:
    I have never onced called Bacon.... Bacon unless I was explaining what Rashers are to an American.
    Honestly who here says "Elevator" instead of lift?
    Lots of people say elevator. Depends on context perhaps

Thing is there is something called bacon in ireland thats not what an american calls bacon.
    Bacon is like ham only leaner (or is it visa versa).

And guys, its a parer. You are always paring the pencil, you are not always sharpening it.

For the american blow-ins, yes its a word:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thing is there is something called bacon in ireland thats not what an american calls bacon.

And guys, its a parer. You are always paring the pencil, you are not always sharpening it.

Yes but your using ENGLISH not American Kaptainredeye and in English its sharpening a pencil.
    http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50222019?single=1&query_type=word&queryword=sharpen&first=1&max_to_show=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

I sharpen my pencil...!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

basically, it's a pencil sharpener! not a topper (wtf?) or parer or twozzle whatever, a sharpener!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Pencil parer.
    Rashers.
    Presses.
    Lift.

One of the most annoying phrases in UCD is "score". It sounds so ridiculous and it's right up there with "shift" and "meet" - the last one always sounds so stupid.
    Personally prefer the phrase "to be with".
    Also, none of the above refer to sex. They refer to kissing.

Heard a guy in the sports bar ask for "a pint of heino and a pint of probs"
    Probs! Wtf! It was Carlsberg "probably the best lager..yadda yadda".
    The barman and all the non-Ross O'Carroll-Kelly clones in earshot looked thoroughly disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Pencil parer.
    Rashers.
    Presses.
    Lift.

One of the most annoying phrases in UCD is "score". It sounds so ridiculous and it's right up there with "shift" and "meet" - the last one always sounds so stupid.

Heard a guy in the sports bar ask for "a pint of heino and a pint of probs"
    Probs! Wtf! It was Carlsberg "probably the best lager..yadda yadda".
    The barman and all the non-Ross O'Carroll-Kelly clones in earshot looked thoroughly disgusted.

totally agree, although i think the probs guy got off too lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

My best mate on my course always insists on ordering a pint of "Ken"...

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Yeah but "to be with" doesn't make much more sense to me, it causes more confusion when describing events IMO. I think there's no real word for what this thing that people do is (apart from kissing, but that's just weird in context because there's more than that involved, it's the whole significance of the event).

the word I hate hearing misused in UCD is banter. it makes me punch walls to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Anyone who says Ken when refering to a drink. Anyone be it the Dali Lama , Jesus or some yaaw from UCD should be taken out the back wall and shot for trying to be so lame its cool . However its just not funny enough to be cool-lame and ends up just being stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

these are all the words i origionally thought i was special for saying...then i came to ucd and reaslised i was wrong :( others used them to!

"bent"! i cant stop saying it..."thats bent"...it works for most things!
    or "thats gay"...or "thats highly homosexual"(if ur feeling intellectual)
    "oh my god...." shameful i know but i picked it up...dunno where...
    "fuking oompa loompa" every time an orange girl walks by...i can no longer hold a conversation in the arts building as i am constantly mid scentence bursting into this....
    "absolute willy"-meh!
    "meh" lasyiest response to everything!
    "your mother"-because i can say it! :P
    "cheers"-yes...
    "ledge"
    "savage"
    "score"
    "ya know?"at end of every scentence nearly...
    "like" as the start of every scentence..... these can be combined aswel..." like ya know" or "ya know like"
    "wench"-i dont even know what it is...
    "effort" or "stress of that!"

theres like a million more...but way to much effort to write em all down...stress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

When I started playing football with my little brother, I tried to minimise my cursing and so came up with my own "friendly-swear" vocab.

"Fudge" or "Fiddlesticks" can be substituted for "F**k"
    "Crumbs" can be swapped for crap, as in "Oh crumbs, I should have hit that!"
    "Darn" or "Flipping" in place of "fecking" or "f**king".

Not exactly original, but its my footie vocab for the last few years and it has served me well as I used to swear like a sailor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

panda100 wrote:
    Yes but your using ENGLISH not American Kaptainredeye and in English its sharpening a pencil.
    http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50222019?single=1&query_type=word&queryword=sharpen&first=1&max_to_show=10
    That link is a subscription site, what does it say?
    I sharpen my pencil...!
    Got a love this, sometimes offering people a definition of what to pare is isnt enough, you have to spell it out with examples.
    You do not always sharpen your pencil when you use a parer:). Sometimes the pencil is sharp enough to kill but the nib is too worn down. Some times the nib so so fine** it breaks instantly. Sometimes the nib breaks sideways and is too fine to draw clear lines or draws with two lines.

In these cases you have a sharp pencil, in the latter you cannot make it any sharper. What you need to do is remove the ouer coat of the pencil, i.e pare it.

Beside to sharpen could be interpreted in many ways other than what you mean. You can sharpen a pencil to give it an edge like a razor. But thats not what you mean. Paring a pencil only has one meaning.

*No Im not saying the pencil is beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Take your 'pared' pencil Captain Redeye and stab yourself in the eye.

re: previous comments, gimme a break im in the middle of exams.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sangre wrote:
    I'd have to agree.

Again anti-D4 sentiment crops up unprovoked. It's not like we're all 15 and live our lives bound by socio- regio-economic stereotypes.

Ok, if someone asked me for a pint of "probs", I'd give them something along the lines of, "what the fook are you talking about? I'm sorry, but I only speak the common parlance of the land, and I failed my mind-reading exams, so you'll have to adapt to my disabilities if you want a drink. I know, I know, it's not my fault though. I blame Mary Hannafin."

To which the usual reply would be something like, "what's parlance?"

"Next please."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Again anti-D4 sentiment crops up unprovoked. It's not like we're all 15 and live our lives bound by socio- regio-economic stereotypes.

The thread is about new words/phrases you have encountered in UCD. One that I encountered was "probs". You can see that as unprovoked anti-D4 sentiment if you like. Fact is, the guy who said it was the embodiment of the stereotype that is all too prevalent in UCD. Pointing it out on a thread designed for such a discussion (i.e. new words you have come across in UCD) isn't an attack.
    Hackman wrote:
    Some guy called me "brother" yesterday. I liked that.

:) Boneless does that all the time. He calls me "sister" a lot.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm not saying I don't agree with your point (that saying "probs" is pretty bent), and I didn't mean to come across as saying that your post in particular was an attack, I was peremptively warding people off jumping on that old bandwagon that crops up in here every so often.

Looking back through the posts, I don't actually see too many that are directly attacking D4s, but I definitely get the feeling that we wouldn't be too far off it if I didn't say something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

....i knew there was something decidedly wrong when "jurisprudence" and "estoppel" started to creep into my everyday vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

abelard wrote:
    ....i knew there was something decidedly wrong when "jurisprudence" and "estoppel" started to creep into my everyday vocabulary.
    I blame your room mate

Sangre wrote:
    Take your 'pared' pencil Captain Redeye and stab yourself in the eye.

Hehe:) dont worry that comment has made up for the other two!Exams or no exams your back on form Sangre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not wanting to divert the thread too much, but I feel that the only person who would be offended by anti-D4 sentiment would be someone who openly considers themselves a "D4 head" and matches their attire/personality/vocab to suit. Anyone who tries really really hard to emulate this O.C. mentality in such an obvious and unashamed way deserves to be ridiculed and have their pint of "probs" or glass of "cab sav" knocked over onto their leinster tracksuit bottoms.

"Sucking diesel" is another one I have learned, as is "total ledge"....nuff said there! I am quite fond of responding to comments with "sweet!", I don't know why, I guess its cooler than saying "cool":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Not wanting to divert the thread too much, but I feel that the only person who would be offended by anti-D4 sentiment would be someone who openly considers themselves a "D4 head" and matches their attire/personality/vocab to suit. Anyone who tries really really hard to emulate this O.C. mentality in such an obvious and unashamed way deserves to be ridiculed and have their pint of "probs" or glass of "cab sav" knocked over onto their leinster tracksuit bottoms.

Nah, you're wrong. I'm not particularly D4 but I have plenty of friends who are, pretty annoying reading the 'words of wisdom' some of the people here come out with. And I'm pretty sure the D4 mentality was around long before the OC =)

Other than that, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Hetronormativity is a fun word I learned in college to be thrown into any conversation for no real reason other than it sounds pretty and vaguely ridiculous. Also homosocial. God bless ucd's english dept.

I tried and failed to bring "bleedi' rapih" back. Even I don't say it very much anymore.

When I graduate I hope never to hear the words "tokenistic" or "careerist" ever again, and "hack" only in relation to writers. Roll on May.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Not wanting to divert the thread too much, but I feel that the only person who would be offended by anti-D4 sentiment would be someone who openly considers themselves a "D4 head" and matches their attire/personality/vocab to suit. :

I concur....There was much anti-culchy sentiment on this thread and no one has mentioned that.Is it ok to take the piss out of the culchies but not the D4 heads on boards these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

panda100 wrote:
    I concur....There was much anti-culchy sentiment on this thread and no one has mentioned that.Is it ok to take the piss out of the culchies but not the D4 heads on boards these days?

There is a difference though, Culchies are good for a laugh but nobody regards them with contempt or disgust (mostly).

*Bam.*

Don't anyone even dare act all surprised or innocent about this one!

P.S. I'll say it now, so that I don't get all flustered later on: Take it to Feedback if you have a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement