Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagull Bowling by the Lake in UCD

Options
  • 12-10-2006 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Yes, you read right :D This is probably one of the most obscure titles of any post going on boards, but bear with me and it'll make sense.

You're all all too familiar with the seagull population of UCD I'm sure. One false move with a chicken fillet roll by the lake, a bit drops off and you're suddenly attacked by flea carrying snowballs.

But this propensity to spot food from a mile away has it's advantages...
    I found this out while procrastinating instead of doing my sociology essay yesterday

Get a malteaser, or suitably rounded food item. With a good underarm bowling swing you can roll it along those wide steps along the side of the pond at a fair old pelt. The seagulls will see it (or smell it) moving and will go mad trying to chase it. Roll it towards a bench of people for maximum fun :D

A good game is to see how far you can get it. I can go from the corner of the pond closest 911 as far as the set of steps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Hackman

I like it! It appeals to the not to distant child in me... I never wanted to grow up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Oh, lol

What a strange yet ingenius chap you are:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I better not tell yiz what we used to do with gulls when I were a t'lad!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

aw do tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

tywy wrote:
    aw do tell!

Only if the statute of limitations has run out... I'll talk to me legal advisor!!

Hulla!! Need you in me office.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 theanswer001

i suggest a tournament...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

jimi_t wrote:
    Get a malteaser, or suitably rounded food item.

I've been thinking about this for a while now... what other suitably rounded foodstuffs are there? [please don't say a roll!] And is it safe for seagulls to be eating malteasers? I fear a seagull obesity epidemic in the near future.

I look forward to becoming a spectator in this fine sport from the library windows while pretending to study!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Sounds like a wonderful game Jimi! Rolled up bread could also be a decent playing apparatus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

do you remember wagonwheels?!? I realise these are probably too large and a suspecting crowd would probably see one coming, but i used to love them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Could you throw Crispy M&Ms at them? They're much smaller but still almost perfectly spherical, could be a winner...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I think Malteasers - especially now that they're in the "Extra large" bonus packs - are the key element here. The great thing as well is that they float, which ensues for some serious hilarity with the seagulls and the swans battling it out :D

I'll take a video soon and post it up - there's one particular seagull with yellow feet and wierd markings who is a right bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

this is one of the mostingeniousand amazing things iv ever heard of...i shall deinatly be doing this...
    is there point system? like if the seagul auctually hits ppl u get a point for each seagul hiting a person? or if a girl runs away screaming u get 10 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

(don't let PETA see this thread!)

dont know why i didnt think of doing this before, upon a visit to trinity once i did a similar thing with pigeons. it was crazy - i'd look around, and see absolutely NO pigeons around anywhere, then threw a bit of bread and 50 appear within seconds. My game was just throwing bread near my friend who's afraid of pigeons-hilarity ensued

Advertisement