Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB connection cost (rural)

Options
  • 12-10-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I've received the quote for our ESB connection to supply
    electricity to our new house (currently being built in Mayo).

I've requested enhanced supply (16kVA max ... ) since the
    heat pump will put an initial load of approx 4.5kW.
    I've also requested night rate electricity meter (again
    primarily for economy on heat pump/hot water).

The amount quoted was 2.5kEuro inclusive of the 13.5% vat.
    How does this sound ?
    What have others paid for similar at rural locations.
    There is a power line running behind the site boundary
    down to a house 150-200 metres down from our site already
    although I doubt if that affects the amount quoted.
    I'd suspect they will have to insert a new pole along the
    line to provide the line to our house.

~ipl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

AFAIR the standard supply is €1138 incl VAT, regardless of the works required to get the lines to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

prospect wrote:
    AFAIR the standard supply is €1138 incl VAT, regardless of the works required to get the lines to your house.
    Thanks Prospect.

I posted a similar query on the AAM boards/site and someone there
    mentioned they heard the standard charge went up to 1.7k around
    May/June timeframe. If that's the case then probably I'm paying
    the extra 500-600Euro (incl vat) for enhanced supply + nightrate
    meter install.

~ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

iplogger1 wrote:
    Thanks Prospect.

I posted a similar query on the AAM boards/site and someone there
    mentioned they heard the standard charge went up to 1.7k around
    May/June timeframe. If that's the case then probably I'm paying
    the extra 500-600Euro (incl vat) for enhanced supply + nightrate
    meter install.

~ipl

Probably did go up, I got my connection 3 years ago. It involved removing one existing pole, and redirecting the line through two new poles. I wasn't charged anything extra for the work required to get the service to my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I paid €1,300 or so 18 months ago for a standard supply.

I would suggest you pay ASAP and start chasing them to get the pole work done. The network people can be very slow to get stuff done. At least if the pole work is done in advance there is less to slow them down when you are ready for connection.

I just wish someone had told me this when I was at your satge, it would have saved me a six week delay:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

I don't think that you are being charged anything extra for the night rate meter. They will make up for this with a higher standing charge once you start getting your bills but you are benefitting because of the heat pump.

Are you sure you will need the enhanced supply? I thought that initially I would need it for my heat pump but electrician and plumber said definitely not. I think the load is 4KW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

You are not charged anything for nigthsaver, but we were charged 400-500 extra for enhanced two years ago, so I suspect IPL, 2500 is about right...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 silverb

charge sounds right, father in law applied for his new connection in the last couple of months and was charged 1800+VAT for 16kw. Then he decided not to put ufh in and phoned them to say it didnt need such a big connection, and was told that he'd have to reapply and also that the fee had gone up 500 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

I know there was talk of a rise in the cost of connection to one off houses and I was thinking of paying them now before I start in mid november to aviod paying the increased price. I hope im not too late and the price has already gone up on the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Ipl, Our lights dim each time the pump starts so definately get the enhanced, we applied for it and still haven't got it.

Advertisement