Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop vs Desktop

• 12-10-2006 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm sure somewhere in this forum there is the old question of "should I get a laptop or a desktop?" stuffed a few times, but don't worry this one has a twist:D (Wouldn’t really call it a twist but what the hey!)
    Nowadays with laptops getting better and better I’m sure lots of people have said "sure there is no point getting a desktop anymore" and I have to agree with them! The benefits of mobility far exceed anything else that I might ever want from a computer. But that’s because I don't wanna play any games!! please correct me if I’m wrong (which I’m pretty sure I’m not) but if your a heavy gamer or even someone that plays a little but wants to be able to play next gen games when they come out the only way to go is to get yourself a major muscle desktop.
    Twist? What twist I hear you say! well I’m kinda ashamed at admitting this (now that I’m a computer scientist and all) but back in the day when I was a fully fledged gamer I bought a laptop of minimum specs so that I could spice it up with a few extra components later... much to my dismay I found out that what I saw was what I got (obviously a few changes could be made but nothing major). The next part in the story I’m sure you all can guess, I went out and got myself a beefy desktop!!
    And of course I used it to test out the graphics (a friend of mine introducing all those tests that I know nothing about) and I played games! But unfortunately for me I have since then discovered that games are no longer on my master plan... and hence, given them up.
    So here comes the rub (ahh, old English! don't you love it!), I have a good enough pc (that I’m sure that a lot of you will think is ****e) that is being used for emails and word processing :( it’s really sad to see!
    My message to everyone, don't buy a laptop if you wish to upgrade or if you want a gaming machine, if you want something to game with stick with the gaming and don't be so dammed fickle like me!
    So far for me the only option is to sell this (less than a year old) desktop and try and acquire a laptop... which as everyone knows means that I’ll need to sell out and get a lot less than its worth (or more so than it cost). Only other option is for someone to trade, but nobody uses the old bartering service anymore.
    That’s my 2 cents, enjoy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought a budget gaming laptop for 1000 euro, for which price you'd get a far better desktop, thats a given and always has been.

A true gaming beast of a laptop capable of hammering out the latest games would probably cost at least 2x that of an equivilent desktop.

I have a decent desktop for games, and a relatively decent laptop for games also - the sole reason I got it was that I play alot of lan and it beats the idea of having to lug a massive case around everywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I work for a computer retailer, and you would not believe the amount of people who buy laptops as opposed to desktops.

The ratio of laptops to desktops is about 3:1, amazing considering, like the OP said, the laptop is very hard to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

swingking wrote:
    The ratio of laptops to desktops is about 3:1, amazing considering, like the OP said, the laptop is very hard to upgrade.

Yes, but of those buying laptops, what percentage would actually be capable of upgrading a computer or even have an interest? Very few, I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

dead right! people want something that is easy to set up and works for them without any trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

swingking wrote:
    I work for a computer retailer, and you would not believe the amount of people who buy laptops as opposed to desktops.

Most people, or even business'es don't ever need to upgrade for the office type work they use their PC for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Laptop for basic stuff & portability is the big thing.

PC for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

kaimera wrote:

PC for gaming.

Exactly desktops are for power hungry users that use graphical intensive applications etc...

Laptops are for everyone else. Why wouldn't you when you can get them reasonably cheap now and they do everything you'd do on a desktop but you can take them with you.

With wireless becoming more and more popular Desktops are becoming a niche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

swingking wrote:

This is complely wrong. Split is currently 58% laptop in Ireland accoring to IDC. Also remember that most laptops currently on the market will not run the minimum requirements for Vista when it launches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

onemanband wrote:
    Also remember that most laptops currently on the market will not run the minimum requirements for Vista when it launches.

That is not really true - Unless of course, you are referring to the number of laptops in the country itself rather then ones available for sale....

Most current laptops are vista capable, even the very low end ones equipped with Intel GMA onboard video. The only new ones that would not be up to the task would be the extremely cheap E Machines and similar laptops that sell in Pc World and Dunnes that have SiS integrated graphics, but they are a rarity in reality in comparison to the likes of the GMA equipped laptops which dominate most of the 600-1000 price range.

onemanband wrote:
    This is complely wrong. Split is currently 58% laptop in Ireland accoring to IDC. Also remember that most laptops currently on the market will not run the minimum requirements for Vista when it launches.

I assume he mean in his shop specifically.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:

PC for gaming.

Thats what I reckon too.

onemanband wrote:

Not being able to run Vista is fine for most users. How many would buy it if they could run it? Very few people bother upgrading their OS unless they've got to have support or a new program they need stops being released for their current OS. XP isn't going anywhere for a while IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭real_ate

now here begs the real question.... what does one do if they decided against getting a laptop and go for that niche we call desktops but suddenly realise that they made a fatal error!?!? i know it would be impossible to get what you paid back but whats the most effective way of getting rid of the desktop and getting a lappy? sell desktop, buy lappy? trade desktop for a lappy? .... any ideas?

Sell the desktop as 2nd hand in buy and sell. You get screwed on a trade in. Somewhere like Computers Unlimited might do it though. Or keep it as a home server, backup machine. Use the screen with the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭real_ate

well the screen is nothing special, just a regular crt that you can't even give away! the computer is a true beauty tho, i would love to keep it as a home computer or server or something but my current financial "disaster" that i'm finding myself in doen't really allow me to do that... i made the thing myself, cost me 1300 last christmas, and i'm sure its worth more than anything i would get on a trade in... i could be wrong i know but it would just seem such a waste not getting what its worth ya know. don't know anyone that was lookin for a desktop as a trade in for their lappy or anythin do ya? :p lol
    www.adverts.ie/8635 have a look and see what you think

How do you find that ad via the number?

How do you find that ad via the number?

Try selecting the text then press Ctrl+C and Ctrl+P after clicking the URL bar at the top of your web browser. It's a URL

To OP, you should include the specs of your monitor for completeness in your ad.

Someone will probably buy it off ya. Either that or sell it as parts on ebay for someone who needs replacement motherboard etc.. Don't know how much you'd get for it but you might make a fair bit. Worth seeing what you can get for trade in before any of that though.

Price the parts online and see how much you could charge for them on ebay. Of course thats a last resort. :D

brim4brim wrote:
    Try selecting the text then press Ctrl+C and Ctrl+P after clicking the URL bar at the top of your web browser. It's a URL....

Didn't realise that because he'd cropped the "http://www."

Advertisement