Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to upgrade

Options
  • 12-10-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I currently own a single shot .22, I do some foxing and I now know the limits of the .22. Is the .22 hornet the next obvious step for me.......?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I always think that the first step when upgrading is to look at the cost of the ammo. Paying €1 a round is very painful if you have been using 22lr up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

rrpc wrote:
    I always think that the first step when upgrading is to look at the cost of the ammo. Paying €1 a round is very painful if you have been using 22lr up to now.
    Agreed.
    Under the current licencing system, the OP shouldn't have too much trouble getting their licence amended to a bolt action firearm in .22 Magnum, .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, or (I think) .22/250. All are classified as 'calibre .220 inches'.
    Changing from a single shot to a bolt action might cause a hiccup, but I'd doubt it.
    Going for the current favourite foxing round (.223 Rem) is perceived to be a change of calibre, and would probably require a whole new application.

Ammunition costs would be the big glitch, particularly in .220 Swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

definitely agree with the lads here

ammo costs is a big issue.

I have a .223 rem rifle, great round, nice rifle and not the most expensive when it comes to ammo. hence its popularity i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

ammanded licences apply from .22lr up to 220 swift,as for the 22-250 upwards you'll need to "have a chat" with the local garda,the 22-250 is in a class for deer hunting unless you can prove you dont need it for deer,as for fox choice .223 is you baby,its cheaper and harder hitting than the hornet and just as powerful as a knockdown within the same ranges as the swift,if i didnt have my .243 ackley id be using the .223 hands down,if you need any more info on where to buy oranything else pm me

Advertisement