Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network

Options
  • 12-10-2006 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys,
    I'm a total networking newbie and just have a (very basic) question...

I've got NTL Broadband coming in to my cable modem. My cable modem is linked to a NetGear MIMO wireless router. From the router I have an ethernet cable going in to my Home Media Center. This works fine and connects to the web no bother.

I also have another PC with a wireless card. This also connects to the web no bother via the wireless network provided by the router.

So, all good so far...

What I'm trying to do is to get both PCs talking to each other so i can file share between them. I'm sure this is possible but can't find anywhere to tell me how to set it up!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

You are going to have to run the "Set up home or small office network" wizard, to do this go to your start menu and go to 'Control Panel'.
    68574-click-control-panel.gif
    To see the 'Network Connections icon you are going to have to change your 'Control Panel' to 'Classic View' then double click on 'Network Connections'. Then go to 'Set up home or small office network' link in the side task bar.
    68574-nsw1.gif
    When the wizard opens click next twice to continue.
    Click on the 'other' radio button then click next twice. If a prompt pops up saying "This network configuration is not recommended" just ignore it and click next to continue.
    68574-nsw5.gif
    The next screen is for you to assign your computer a Name and Description, enter these details in and click next. Leave your Workgroup name to the default "MSHOME".
    68574-nsw8.gif
    Click next again then the next screen is a summary just confirming settings, click next.
    68574-nsw9.gif
    Wait for the computer to do its stuff then finally on the next screen click on the 'Just finish the wizard' radio button and click next and finally click finish.
    68574-nsw10.gif
    You’re almost done now go to the next pc and do the same as above. Just a final note you might have to restart both computers afterwards.
    68574-restart.gif
    This should enable you to have the default shares avaible.

To share a drive or folder in xp just follow the instructions HERE

If you need more help have a look at microsofts network section HERE

I wish you the very best of luck m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 UserRuse

Thanks for the detailed reply - Sounds like just what i was looking for!

Can't wait to get home and try it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

You could also try right-clicking on the folder/directory you want to share and then click on 'Sharing and Security' (or maybe just 'Sharing'). You can control sharing that way too and it should automatically enable the File and Printer Sharing service in Windows.

To view the shared folders from another machine go to Start\Run... and give the command '\\<computer name>' where <computer name> is the name of the remote computer e.g. \\theothercomputer. This will display the shared folders/printers on that machine.

Edit: OK most of what I said here is actually covered in one of the links provided by tonkpills. But it shouldn't be necessary to go through the 'Set up home or small office network' procedure

Advertisement