Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cute little Dog found in Galway

Options
  • 12-10-2006 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello,

i am living in Ballybane, Galway and some of my neighbours kids have found a cute little dog 5 days ago.

imgp1745im4.th.jpg

I have printed some flyers and sticked them onto trees and put em into post boxes but no response yet. Currently he's in my house and i take care of him. I stll hope that this cutie just ran away and was busted and that i'll find his owner and that i don't have to contact the GSPCA.

Can anyone help, please? Any info/help is very much appreciated. You can contact me through Skype or via PM.

Thanks alot and kind regards,

Toto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

Contact vets, rescues, pounds and garda stations in your area to leave details and check if a similar dog was reported missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thorsten

Thanks fits,

i have already called the warden. I got the number of the GSPCA but he didn't called back. I will call the vet now. Didn't think about that.

Cheers!

Toto

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

Also check www.lostandfound.ie for any lost dogs matching that description. And post a found notice yourself...

Its hard to know what to do if you havent been in that situation before.

Hey...cool... thanks fits,

I have added a found note and send them a picture. Let's see what happens.
    Should i still get in contact with the warden?

Best wishes,

Toto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

No one has reported a lost dog to me, Toto. But it might helps to actually take him to a vet and have him checked for a microchip.

• Advertisement

Hi Egar,

thanks. i have reported him found on www.lostandfound.ie and i called 2 vets i know of but no luck. So, i called the warden and he said he's coming up today.

Can you or anyone tell me where the warden will take the dog? Will he bring him to a dog shelter or to a dog pound? And what happens then with the dog?

It's already breaking my heart to see him go after staying here for a week. :)

Best regards,

Toto

PS: @ fits

yeah, you're absolutely right. it is hard to do the right thing.

HI,

i had another talk to the vet here in Renmore and they told me that if the warden takes the dog he'll be put to sleep after 5 days. Is that true?

If so, then the warden won't get the dog. The vet told me that now, after 5 days when the dog still hasn't been reported missing the chances are very low to none that the owner wants him back and that it would better to either keep the dog or find him a new home.

I would keep the dog but i just got a 6 1/2 year old Labrador mix about two weeks ago and first i cannot afford a second dog and secondly due to my disability i cannot walk two dogs or give em both the care they need. My Molly keeps me occupied enough. :)

So, If there's anyone out there in and around Galway or whereever .... who would like to this little cutie a new home and good care, please get in contact with me.

Here are some more pictures ....

dscf0017at7.th.jpg dscf0019zv8.th.jpg

BTW... what breed is the brown one anyway? I have no clue! :)

Best regards,

Thorsten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Thorsten wrote:
    HI,

i had another talk to the vet here in Renmore and they told me that if the warden takes the dog he'll be put to sleep after 5 days. Is that true?

Im afraid that is true, and he will probably be put down sooner as he has already been 5 days unclaimed :(

I truly truly hope you can find him a good home, he looks like a wonderful dog!

B

Hello FranknFurter,

first i like your nickname "FranknFurter". :) Don't be offended but it sounds like frankfurter and this is a great german sausage. I miss it so much! :)

To topic ... yeah, it is a gorgeous little fella. He gets on well with my Molly but still i have to find him a home.

You say he'll put him to sleep even sooner? My god! I can't believe it. :mad:
    Same with people dumping animals. I can only hate them.

Anywho .. a friend of mine would take him with her to switzerland but it takes too long to get the dog passport as she's leaving already next tuesday. Well ... :confused:

Best regards,

Thorsten

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As for breed ...it is hard to tell from the pics only, but I would say that there is a Corgie in there somewhere ...percentage unknown though.

Have you tried ringing your local (Galway) radio station?
    Most local radios do lost and found kind of stories / announcements.

(But be careful about who comes to claim the dog ...might not be the real owner and might not have good intentions)

• Advertisement

Hi peasant,

thanks for the tip. :)

Not sure what a Corgie is though but i'll find out. :)

Both vets i called have my number and all info and so does lostandfound.ie.
    Whoever is missing the dog will find me.

THe kids who found the dog will be happy that i won't give him to the warden. Didn't know what the warden was til today otherwise i wouldn't have called him in the first flace. He wasn't very interested in the dog anyway. :( :mad:

This is driving me mad. Isn't there a decent animal shelter which takes care of their dogs and trying to find a home? I know it will be easier to find one for a young dog rather then an older one.

Best regards,

Thorsten

PS: Thanks everyone for your help! Very much appreciated! :)

peasant wrote:
    As for breed ...it is hard to tell from the pics only, but I would say that there is a Corgie in there somewhere ...percentage unknown though.

Looks like a bit of pomeranian in there too to me, very striking resemblence to my old boy Skollob (RIP).
    Beautiful looking boy.
    Is he neutered Thorsten?

B

Hi,

no idea if he's neutered but we are lucky!! :)

That owner just came, saw the flyer in the shop and picked him up. Her son was there too and the dog went nuts.

Well ... Thanks lads for your help and advice. Glad to see that there are people out there who do care!

Best regards,

Thorsten

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thorsten, you really are to be commended for the way you looked after this little fella! Fair play to ye! I only wish that the rest of the population would be as understanding and caring in that situation.

This comes from someone who had their cat thrown in the bin by a school caretaker last week. It had been knocked down by a car. It was still alive. the school said "it was a stray" even though it clearly had a name tag, and the children in the school took the cat from the bin and rang us. We managed to get a vet to our cat ASAP.

The school was approached about the actions of the caretaker and they said "But we thought it was a stray", "We didn't want the children to see".
    Careless, ignorant bastards, to do that to any animal. All they had to do was look for a collar. It took 2 children to have the civic responsibility to contact us and let us know. Two school children!

Love to name and shame !!! Love to!!

Anyway .. Thorsten, you did the right thing mate! I have serious praise for you. :D

Hi bubby,

thanks for your kind words but this is not needed. I didn't do anything really but giving him a bit of food and calling a few people. Nothing special. ;)

When i read that story about that cat all i can do is *shakingmyhead*. The owner who picked that dog up had to listen to something she didn't like i suppose. I told her to show more responsibility and to give that dog at least a collar with address or phone number on it and it's name.

As you probably saw i just got my Molly (it's the black 'horse' on the picture) about two weeks ago and i when my ex Landlords called me to see if i'd like to take her i was so tempted to 'YEAHH sure i do'. BUt i needed another few days to think about it due to my disability and i am not the riches one either. And then after counting me money and getting some advice from friends and the fact that i knew Molly since she's about 9 month old i decided to take her on board. She's a great dog with a gentle soul. Won't harm noone. She loves kids, other dogs, cats etc. (just that dog around the corner she dislikes;) ) ....

Anywho ... i was thinking for a couple of years already to get a new dog. I had one when i was younger and i got her from a shelter in germany. That dog i had then was busted in a bin underneath some ashes which was still glimmering. Sissy was her name (RIP).

Anyway ... since then i have that anger in me about those freaks who not care at all. I hope that caretaker of that school gets fined or at least warned by the school directive. Unbelievable... and that person is a model for the kids. And yes ... fair play to the kids!!! :D Kids just have that loving and careing thing, don't they?!

Well ... thanks again for your words .... they make me feeling better now tbh! ;)

Yours,

Thorsten

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

When I read your thread it made me realise that not all people handle situations like the way the caretaker did. It was one thing loosing a pet, and another knowing that there are callous individuals out there throwing kittens in canals, and disgarding animals in pain.

You are one of the good guys :D Best of luck with Molly, she is a lucky dog! :)

Thorsten is definitely to be commended for what he did, no doubt about that. :)

Bubby, an idea about your cat, that is a horrible thing that should not be let pass, how about, ask somone to email the school asking for a "public statment" about the incident. That way, if they issue a public statment its there for all the world to see who they are without you having to "name and shame" anyone here as it would be online, hell, Ill stick it on one of my own sites for ya! ;)

B

(Ugh, going to bed, aint slept in 48+ hours and even my chair battery needs charging, let me know if you get any word from them tho' :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Great to hear of a happy ending on this one. My compliments Thorsten on your efforts to locate the owner of this beautiful dog. I agree its very careless not to have a tag with the telephone number of the owner on the dog's collar.

Just as a matter of interest was it ever established if the dog was chipped? I understand of course if you did not take it to the vet to check as its a €40 or €50 charge now just to walk in the door of a vets surgery.
    I expect it wasn't since the dog did not even have a collar tag.:rolleyes:

Horrified to hear about that kitten. I agree that dog wardens show little interest in dogs. I am a Garda and we often have to deal with them in relation to dogs - they are a complete shower of wasters most of them. :mad:

Hi Thorsten,

glad you found the owner :). If you ever find another dog, drop me a line and if I have kennel space I'll take him/her (strictly non kill policy here).

Hi all,

well ... thanks again but as i said already ... twas nothing. :)

@ FranknFurter ... that's a very good idea. Would stick it on my sites too. :)

@ Alfasudcrazy ... no the dog wasn't chipped. €40 - €50 for checking? Don't believe it. How much is the micro chip then? €500?

Because of that warden and because i couldn't really see a sense behind the GSPCA i am concidering launching a website myself for lost & found animals. Gonna do some brainstorming over then next few weeks. What i found out was that there aren't many places to look for help, advice, phone numbers or general info about what to do in a situation like this. Especially when something like this happens to you the first (hopefully the last) time. I wasn't feeling very comfortable about if i do the rignt thing etc...

If anyone has good ideas or would like to help a bit to get some info together, feel free to let me know. :)

@ EGAR thanks! Sure, will do. :)

Best to all of ya!

Thorsten

• Advertisement

There is, Thorsten:

http://irishanimals.ie/

Always room for one more though! :)
    Places to find information are hreay and the more of them the better imho.

B

Hi,

Yeah, I know of lostandfound.ie but that's the only website of that kind, isn't it?

I think so too B. and it would be great if those available sites could even work together.

Best wishes,
    Toto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Thorsten wrote:

I think so too B. and it would be great if those available sites could even work together.

Best wishes,
    Toto

Me too.
    That a whole can'a'worms in itself unfortunately. :(

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

Thorsten wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Because of that warden and because i couldn't really see a sense behind the GSPCA i am concidering launching a website myself for lost & found animals. Gonna do some brainstorming over then next few weeks. What i found out was that there aren't many places to look for help, advice, phone numbers or general info about what to do in a situation like this. Especially when something like this happens to you the first (hopefully the last) time. I wasn't feeling very comfortable about if i do the rignt thing etc...

If anyone has good ideas or would like to help a bit to get some info together, feel free to let me know. :)
    Thorsten

I have rung and emailed gspca, irish animals.ie and had no response whatsoever.
    I have offered to home a young small dog. I have food, warmth, biggish gated garden, already got a stray cat so think she will get on with a small dog rather than big.

They have never contacted me, not once, even though i have left messages - because they NEVER answer their phones.

I have tried to contact the dog pound, but there is only 1 part time employee who is never there either.

So what about starting the lasthope site, like the one in meath, it looks really good and is run on charity, admin@lasthope.ie <admin@lasthope.ie> or http://www.lasthope.ie i just wish it was near me in Galway as i would house a doggy tomorrow.

PS when the stray cat wandered in, i got the warden who offered to send me a cage to trap her and put her down. That was stupid, as she wandered in and sat straight on my lap. She was 3 then, 5 now and as much a member of this family as anyone else. Thank goodness i did not listen to the warden.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, should should contact EGAR if you are looking to home a dog in the Galway area. I'm sure she will help you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kodo

Hi,

Just in reply to your discussion re: lost and found websites and sites working together - we at www.lasthope.ie are aiming to overhaul our website so that eventually, information will be very specific (e.g. search by county, by keyword, breed, colour etc) and searchable and hopefully make it easier to reunite lost and found dogs - it will take time to get it sorted but that's our goal! And it will be a service for everyone to use - and maybe down the line it can become a single database where all lost and found animals in the country can be listed and rescue groups etc could feed off the database information - we'll see how it goes! So watch this space....

Cheers,

Aoife - lasthope.ie website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kerrd6

Found a cross between an alsation and collie in the barna area,co. galway!Hes very young and appers to have an injury to his right front paw.Please contact me if this is your dog

Advertisement