Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs blow for City

• 12-10-2006 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

With the latest jobs blow it seems to me manufacturing in this region is in trouble, with companies moving to more cost-effective locations. Disappointing news for Kilkenny.
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=2594&ArticleID=1816337
    50 jobs axed as envelope factory closes
    FIFTY people are facing redundancy following news that Kilkenny City-based envelope manufacturing company Bong Bauwens is to close.
    Employees were informed of the planned closure at meetings held at the plant in the Purcellsinch Industrial Estate on Monday. Production will be transferred to another of the Swedish company's plants. It is not yet clear when business will come to a halt and employees have been promised a further update in November.
    "This really came out of the blue. There were no warning signs," Labour Party councillor Michael O'Brien told the Kilkenny People.
    Bong Bauwens started out as Kilkenny Envelopes in Thomastown in 1979 with support from the Industrial Development Authority. The company was subsequently taken over by the world's largest manufacturer of envelopes, Bong Bauwens, which employs 1,400 people worldwide and has an annual turnover of E220 million.
    "A number of people have contacted me in a distressed state looking for advice. They simply can't believe that this is happening," said Cllr O'Brien. "People are deeply upset by the job losses. Almost half of the people working at Bong are living in the Thomastown area and the closure is definitely going to have a knock-on effect on the town," he added.
    11 October 2006

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kilkennymusic

gas thing is, i only discovered the envelope factory there about two or three weeks ago driving up through the estate. thought "mad... we've actually got an envelope factory!!"... pity its closing all the same, thats a fair whack of jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

oops!!! I read that heading wrong way round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

BingoBongo wrote:
    oops!!! I read that heading wrong way round
    :D:D:D

Advertisement