Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband

Options
  • 12-10-2006 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just got broadband installed through BT. Its working ok but seems to be running a lot slower than the boradband connection at work.

My computer is 3 years old running on windows xp.

I know there is a lot of crap on my hard drive but I don't know how to clean it up so it might make my boradband connection faster.

Any advise..........

Cheers,
    Ted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Crap on your harddrive won't affect the speed of your connection. How do you mean it's running slow? Loading pages, downloading files, or somethiing else?

You can generally expect a work connection to be faster as a business connection will have a better contention ratio if not a dedicated line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hi all,

I just got broadband installed through BT. Its working ok but seems to be running a lot slower than the boradband connection at work.
    ehm, what speed line did you get installed? 1mb,2mb? also, do you know what your work connection is? is it ntl or some company that does 6mb-10mb lines? like macros said, its going to be faster anyway. but without giving any details about your connection/work connection, i cant tell you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭outsidethe65

Hi,

I got a 1mb connection. Don't know what the work connection speed is. The speed is much faster than the dial-up I prevoiusly had but its still slow. I suppose I just expected too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Do BT still do a 1mb connection? I thought the smallest was 2mb now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yeah, i've 1mb here too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The problem with the 1 meg lines is the contention ratio. Challenge: That's why my ping is consistently so much better than yours tbh. I have the 3 meg line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jfcassidy95

1. Clean PC - CCleaner does a good job www.ccleaner.com/ free dowload.
    2. Defrag - Find thru All Programmes / ASccessories/ System Tools / Disk Defragmenter
    3. Probably better to upgrade to 3 Mbps - if you have problems in the eveing or peak time use -due to high contention ratio - too many people downloading on the same line.
    Best
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jfcassidy95

If you are only using 128 megs of RAM, recommend you upgrade to 1 gig - even with 3 year old computer, you should a big difference - I did with a PC I bought March 2002 and now runs perfectly - broadband speed is always high. It is a desktop running Pentium 4.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Go here: www.speedtest.ie

Post the results, and what type of connection you ordered, and then we'll know if you're getting the correct speed or not.

Advertisement