Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl broadband - couple of questions

Options
  • 12-10-2006 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

We've just ordered ntl broadband & cable package (€25 a month and first 3 months are free) and they are supposed to be turning up next week to put it in. Couple of things I'm wondering and would appreciate any advice -

- There is already an ntl connection point in the house beside the tv, but my computer (pc) is on the opposite side of the house. Apparently they'll have to put in another connection point near the computer but as it's a rented house we'd prefer to avoid this if possible. I don't understand why we can't just use an extra long cable to connect the ntl box thing to the back of my computer. The house isn't very big and I won't be using the internet that much so having a cable going along the floor or whatever wouldn't be a problem. One of the people in ntl told me you just can't get cables that long, another one told me it only works with a short cable (signal or whatever it is would get lost?!), someone else said I could always try a hardware shop for a fly lead cable I think they called it but that it could be difficult to find?!

- Again as I've phoned ntl a few times I've been told something different each time, but it seems they will put in a wireless router, free of charge, 'if necessary' (in an apartment block for eg). Has anyone managed to get one from them??

- Or if we buy our own wireless router how much are we talking do you think?

- And given that lots of people seem to have had bad experiences with ntl especially since the company was taken over etc, are we mad to even be thinking about it?

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Jimbo J wrote:
    One of the people in ntl told me you just can't get cables that long, another one told me it only works with a short cable (signal or whatever it is would get lost?!), someone else said I could always try a hardware shop for a fly lead cable I think they called it but that it could be difficult to find?!
    You'd want a pretty big house to exceed the 90m distance for ordinary CAT5 ethernet cable. You can get a 10 metre cable (in your choice of colours) for €5.49.
    - Again as I've phoned ntl a few times I've been told something different each time, but it seems they will put in a wireless router, free of charge, 'if necessary' (in an apartment block for eg). Has anyone managed to get one from them??
    There have been numerous reports of people getting Netgear wireless routers from NTL. I don't know if they supplied wireless adapters, though, so it may only have been useful for peope with laptops. Basically, it was can be cheaper for NTL to provide a router than to pay the installer to run cable. (They'll run cable for another TV point, that they'll charge you a fiver a month to use, but they wouldn't get aware with that for a network point).
    - Or if we buy our own wireless router how much are we talking do you think?
    €50-€90

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW if you do decide to buy a router, make sure to get a broadband router, not an adsl router. The broadband router should have a wan uplink port, all on this page would work with NTL:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=2&CatID=20&l=2&CnL1=NTL/Telewest&CnL2=Wireless%20Cable%20Routers

Yes, some people have been able to get one of these free for NTL. You need to ask nicely on the phone and again when the installer arrives. Explain that you don't have permission to install a second point from the landlord.

BTW most landlords don't mind/care if you get another point installed, it actually increases the worth of the property and FYI you will also be able to hook that point up to a TV and watch the 17 anaolgue TV at no extra charge.

They probably won't string a wire across the floor as it might be dangerous (trip and fall), but there is nothing stopping you doing it yourself when they leave. The only problem is that they need to connect to the PC to setup the modem initially and they won't like running the cable, so you will need to move the pc next to the current TV point if you want to do this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Getting a router is very hit and miss - I know two people who got NTL in the past few months and did not get a router. In one case the installer said that he had run out of them and suggested ringing and requesting that one be sent out however the notorious NTL customer service kicked in and of course the request was just dismissed.

NTL charge a monthly fee for extra points.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I've got NTL and I bought my own router - belkin pre-n which is the business. made a skype call, laptop in hand, about 30 metres from my house. Haven't had any problems with NTL broadband. Their sales service is pretty good but their support service is woeful. I had to hound them into giving me my 6meg upgrade from 3meg.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 wrote:
    NTL charge a monthly fee for extra points.

Sigh, no they don't, if the extra point is for BB or Digital TV, they don't charge for it.

Even if you are using it for analogue TV and are being charged, just ring up and tell them that you are not using the point any more and they will stop charging you for it.

The charge for extra points is just a hang over from the old days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jimbo J

Thanks a million for advice that's really helpful.

Was talking to a techie last night who said of course you can use a cable and the only reason ntl will want to put in a second point instead is because then we're kind of tied to using ntl broadband or less likely to switch anyway. I thought he called the cable something else though - is there another name for a CAT5 ?!

And now that I think about it I do remember seeing on an ntl flyer that they charge for second connection points, I think it's only a fiver but still, the cheek. Will have to put my foot down.

One last question - someone told me I could get a router thing in PCWorld for about €20-€30, is this true and would it work ok?

And one other last question sorry - my PC is oldish, white with a non-flat monitor, windows 2000 I think but possibly 98. Think it would communicate ok with the router thing?

Have just been on to unpleasant ntl guy, after getting transferred to different people twice and was holding for ages each time of course, and he just cut me off! Infuriating and I wasn't even being snotty! He said no ntl do not do wireless routers at all, have done in the past but as of a couple of weeks ago they are not providing them ever. And the two different ntl people who told me two days ago that they did were obviously misinformed.

Just about the cable thing - he said it's a usb cable I'd need??

I think maybe we should forget it - enough warning signs already - and go elsewhere. We were going to get that ripwave thing for €19 originally but then thought for the extra fiver a month may as well get cable tv as well.

Anyway, thanks again for help.

bk wrote:
    Sigh, no they don't, if the extra point is for BB or Digital TV, they don't charge for it.

Even if you are using it for analogue TV and are being charged, just ring up and tell them that you are not using the point any more and they will stop charging you for it.

The charge for extra points is just a hang over from the old days.

Sigh they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I was told when getting NTL in that you pay 25Euro to activate the point but there is no monthly charge for it.

Jimbo J wrote:
    One last question - someone told me I could get a router thing in PCWorld for about €20-€30, is this true and would it work ok?
    I'd be surprised if you could get a router for €30, especially at PC World. I wouldn't be surprised if the sold you something for €30 and swore blind that it's work, but you 'd have paid €30 for a €10 switch, which isn't the same thing at all.
    And one other last question sorry - my PC is oldish, white with a non-flat monitor, windows 2000 I think but possibly 98. Think it would communicate ok with the router thing?
    You could connect an old Windows 3.x machine to the internet if you wanted to. TCP/IP (the protocol used on the Internet) was around long before we had "PCs".
    As far as I know, the NTL "modem" has supports USB connections or ethernet connections. Ethernet is always recommended, if your PC has an ethernet port. If it doesn't, you'll have to make do with USB. But a 10M USB cable might be a problem, so you'd really need to have the computer beside the NTL modem if you're using USB. If you really have Windows 98, then even USB might be a problem - USB support in Windows 98 wasn't formalised until Windows 98 SE (Second Edition).

It might be a good idea to run Belarc Advisor on your machine (about a 1MB download). That'll tell you a lot of useful information about your system.
    I think maybe we should forget it - enough warning signs already - and go elsewhere. We were going to get that ripwave thing for €19 originally but then thought for the extra fiver a month may as well get cable tv as well.
    You get a far, far better internet experience with NTL, even on their bad days, than you will with Ripwave. Well worth an extra fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Will this router work ok with NTL?

BravoGolf wrote:
    Will this router work ok with NTL?
    Yes, but the general reputation of belkin gear is crap.

Jimbo J wrote:
    Have just been on to unpleasant ntl guy, after getting transferred to different people twice and was holding for ages each time of course, and he just cut me off! Infuriating and I wasn't even being snotty! He said no ntl do not do wireless routers at all, have done in the past but as of a couple of weeks ago they are not providing them ever. And the two different ntl people who told me two days ago that they did were obviously misinformed.

Anyway, thanks again for help.

NTL with all their faults would still be a lot better than Ripwave - you can get an ethernet card for you pc for about 15 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Ah ok, are there any particular routers recommended for use with NTL?

BravoGolf wrote:
    The Linksys WRT54GL is widey recommended. I use a D-Link DI-524.

BravoGolf wrote:

Well a friend of mine has this one happily working away with NTL.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319195

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does anyone know if NTL are offering broadband in Knocklyon yet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Foxwood wrote:
    You could connect an old Windows 3.x machine to the internet if you wanted to. TCP/IP (the protocol used on the Internet) was around long before we had "PCs".
    You get a far, far better internet experience with NTL, even on their bad days, than you will with Ripwave. Well worth an extra fiver.
    You could install TCP/IP in DOS - who needs windows ;)

Ripwave vs. NTL , it's a no brainer, even if you are in a good signal area and there isn't much contention and you are sure no more people will sign up in your area, and there won't be building works between you and the mast and you're sure there won't be bad weather or trees growing their leaves back again. Also you have to be sure that IBB aren't using more power than they are legally allowed.

You could install TCP/IP in DOS - who needs windows ;)
    DOS? Real men use CP/M!!!!

I've used TCP/IP on a DOS machine. I probably still have an FTP Software manual somewhere in the attic (from long before they became NetManage).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If only history had been a little different, the default could have been Multi user Concurrent CP/M on PC's 20 years ahead of "Fast User Switcher" ( XP but only if you are NOT on a domain :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement

Hi,

Just to say thanks a million for the replies, was big help & much appreciated.

Has worked out very nicely (touch wood) - NTL turned up yesterday as promised, set it all up including wireless router and some usb thing to make my pc communicate with it, or something, and now we have broadband and 150 channels on the telly :-)

And they haven't asked for any bank details yet ;o}

J

Advertisement