Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried Magnet base package?

Options
  • 12-10-2006 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have 1mb from UTV, which I have no complaints about, UTV do a good job. I noticed Magnet is offering a 2Mb package for €29.
    This package (Magent Base) involves installing a second line to the house, line rental is included in the monthly cost, so I can keep the Eircom line and phone number.
    I talked to a sales guy who told me that magnet would install some ADSL2 hardware in the exchange which would improve my line since my current connection only supports 1Mb. I am thinking the 1:1 contention ratio they offer would be a nice speed boost in itself.

So my questions:
    - what is Magnet like service wise? Will they show up when they say they will? Bill me correctly? Etc?

- this business of two lines into the house, how does that work? Do they install a line splitter somewhere? I wonder could this have a negative effect on the current Eircom line?

- Finally, installing ADSL2+ hardware in the exchange, is this just sales blabber? Or could it really improve my line capacity (currently the latency on my line is quite high).

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Sconsey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sconsey wrote:
    - this business of two lines into the house, how does that work? Do they install a line splitter somewhere? I wonder could this have a negative effect on the current Eircom line?
    A "split" line would screw up your existing broadband and any new Magnet broadband. You'd have to get a completely nw line into the house. That would not be normal procedure, because it's not cheap, but it's probably the only way to get uninterrupted broadband (eircom will cancel your current DSL some time before they allow Magnet to use the line for their DSL. This is standard anti-competitive behaviour for eircom).

I'd get wriiten confirmation of any charges involved in this second line process before committing myself to anything, if I were you.
    - Finally, installing ADSL2+ hardware in the exchange, is this just sales blabber? Or could it really improve my line capacity (currently the latency on my line is quite high).
    ADSL2+ is definitely capable of significantly better performance than bog-standard ADSL on the same copper line.

Advertisement