Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names for Children of Muslim Convert

• 12-10-2006 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

What is the position on naming Muslim children, do they have to have Muslim names? For example, if a Muslim man (a convert) marries a Muslim woman and he wants the children to have his surname (O'Brien from example), is this allowed? What about if he wants to give them a nom-Muslim (but non-Christian) first name?

So to summarise, which is allowed?:
    1) Muslim firstname with Non-Muslim Surname
    2) Non-Muslim firstname with Muslim Surname
    3) Non-Muslim firstname with Non-Muslim Surname

I'd be interested in your opinions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

What is the position on naming Muslim children, do they have to have Muslim names? For example, if a Muslim man (a convert) marries a Muslim woman and he wants the children to have his surname (O'Brien from example), is this allowed? What about if he wants to give them a nom-Muslim (but non-Christian) first name?

So to summarise, which is allowed?:
    1) Muslim firstname with Non-Muslim Surname
    2) Non-Muslim firstname with Muslim Surname
    3) Non-Muslim firstname with Non-Muslim Surname

I'd be interested in your opinions.

Thanks.

As far as I know, by Islam, children are always named after their father and never after their mother. A wife usually keeps her surname.

The tricky part is - what is a Muslim name by a definition?
    Every name, which is not in confrontation with Islamic Law, is also a Muslim name. So you can name your (male) kids i.e. Moses or Musaa, or Jesus or Isaa, etc. or just Abdullah (= a servant of Allah) and this name is a preferred one. And don't worry about the surname. ;)

I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Thanks babyvaio

Anyone else got anything to add?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

If Sean O'Brien converts to Islam and marries Aisha Ali, their children will have the surname O'Brien. Aisha will keep her surname Ali.

As for the kids, I'm not sure what you mean by a non-Muslim first name. A name which does not have a bad meaning in Islam is ok afaik no matter what culture it comes from. There are plenty of Persian or Indian names given to Muslim kids, where the names might be traditional to the culture and not specifically Muslim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

Here's something extra that might help you.

Giving your child a meaningful Islamic name
    It's always a joy when Allah blesses you with a child. Children bring happiness and joy, but also trials and great responsibilities. One of the very first duties you have toward your new child, besides physical care and love, is to give your child a name that carries honor and Islamic meaning behind it.

It is reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "On the Day of Resurrection, you will be called by your names and by your fathers' names, so give yourselves good names." (Hadith Abu Dawud)

Remember, just because a name stems from a certain language or culture, doesn't mean that it has a good Islamic meaning. Several of the companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) changed their own Arabic names, because the meanings of their names connoted wickedness. For example, someone named Harb ("war") had his name changed to Silm ("peace"), and one named Al-Munba'ith ("one who lies") became Al-Mudtaji' ("one who stands up," i.e. for the truth).

I also advise to read this very useful link.

Names according to Qur'an and Sunnah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Thanks for that guys :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

My curiousity is making me ask why you want to know HelterSkelter (if you don't mind telling)... or are you also just asking based upon curiousity? :)

Advertisement