Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP Session in IE

Options
  • 12-10-2006 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

There is a web based application that uses asp, vb dll and an SQL DB. When the site shows up, your presented with a login screen. When we try to use IE to login it fails, we enter the username and password and click login, it trys to load but jumps back to the login page. This is running on an intranet only. From the hosting pc it works fine, it only happens on remote clients.

Any other browser works fine, Opera, Firefox and netscape.
    If the remote clients use the ip address instead of the netbios name
    in the url then it works.

Anyone any ideas? Been searching this problem but with no luck.

Edit: Running on an IIS 5.1 and 6 webserver. Same on each.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

logic wrote:
    There is a web based application that uses asp, vb dll and an SQL DB. When the site shows up, your presented with a login screen. When we try to use IE to login it fails, we enter the username and password and click login, it trys to load but jumps back to the login page. This is running on an intranet only. From the hosting pc it works fine, it only happens on remote clients.

Any other browser works fine, Opera, Firefox and netscape.
    If the remote clients use the ip address instead of the netbios name
    in the url then it works.

Anyone any ideas? Been searching this problem but with no luck.

Edit: Running on an IIS 5.1 and 6 webserver. Same on each.

Logic,

By any chance, does the NETBIOS name have an underscore?

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Strangely enough yes but i have another system which its happening on also which doesn't. I have two instances. Is there a known issue with that?

logic wrote:
    Strangely enough yes but i have another system which its happening on also which doesn't. I have two instances. Is there a known issue with that?

Yes - an underscore is not valid in a domain name on t'internet, and the later versions of IE don't always support an underscore when setting / retrieving cookies and sessions - even in an Intranet setting. I think this is a rare case of MS conforming strictly to standards.

Try getting a DNS entry added for the server, but without the underscore and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Thanks Eoin!!!!! You were bang on. The other instance was having different issues.

You saved me a lot of headaches. I would never have coped that even after all the searching i done. Thanks again.

logic wrote:
    Thanks Eoin!!!!! You were bang on. The other instance was having different issues.

You saved me a lot of headaches. I would never have coped that even after all the searching i done. Thanks again.

No worries - it took me an absolute age to figure out when the same thing happened to me last year; it's a pretty obscure bug!

• Advertisement
Advertisement