Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise on moving widows to a different drive

• 12-10-2006 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, my hard drive is close to failing and I want to replace it with a new drive. My machine currently has two pata drives and the drive with the operating system is failing. I want to replace this with a Sata drive and I'm wondering is there an easy way of moving the operating system on to this drive then removing the old drive. Currently the operating system (xp pro) is on drive c:, so I want to mirror this and then remove the physical drive and copy this on to the new SATA drive and have this as drive C:.

Is this just wishful thinking on my part ? or is there another way other than reinstalling windows and all my programs again?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

some drives come with a utility from the drive manufacturer to do this

microsoft don't support mirroring in workstation/pro, for that you are supposed to buy server. some motherboards / controllers will do this in hardware but IIRC only if both drives are IDE or SATA not a mix

since the new drive is SATA you would have to sort out drivers for it, if you just cloned you might get a stop 000000007 boot device inaccessible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Thanks Capt,

Its a OEM drive therefore no utilities, I could move the system to my other PATA drive and the files on that to the SATA. Then move it to drive0 position or bite the bullet and reinstall all.

Advertisement