Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Options
  • 12-10-2006 4:31pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed this book, just finished yesterday. Which of Pi's explanation stories did you want to believe? Has to be the animal one. I was suprised that it took until 1/3 of the way through the book before he got onto the boat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

This is on my "list of things to read" ... list... haha.
    I heard it was really good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yeah I had been hearing good things about it from people on this board over the past 12 months and eventually found it on ebay. Worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea, not a bad story at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I've had it sitting on the bottom of a big pile of "books to read" for a good while. I've heard it's meant to be great. I read a few pages in and it seemed odd but i'll have to give it another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

the first 1/4 is not amazing , but the reward for sticking by the story is really quite good indeed :) [like book 1 of LoTR IMHO :p ]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I read it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, though I was confused by half of it. I didn't even know that
    the animals were actually humans
    i mean what the hell?!!! nobody told me until about a week ago when my mate said it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

BossArky wrote:
    I enjoyed this book, just finished yesterday. Which of Pi's explanation stories did you want to believe? Has to be the animal one. I was suprised that it took until 1/3 of the way through the book before he got onto the boat.
    It could be either. I might go back and read it again, it's that kind of book.

What about
    the weird island thing? How is that explained in the humans story?
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

For me the classic book of two halves, once he hits the boat, looses alot of its coherence and tension, well worth a read though as stylistically it's excellent.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I enjoyed it, but I felt parts of it were quite dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 piccolina

must admit its been a good year and a half since i read it...id love to reread actually cuz i dont know what i want to accept at the end....dont know how to cover spoiler but ya know what i mean...whats everyone elses take? which story must we believe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yes, I would like to re-read it too if I had time just for the sake of reading it with the end in mind. However, I will leave it for a year or two or three... too much other stuff to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

One of my favourite books.

I read it twice, and found it to be much better the second time, with the ending in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

This was one of the best books i've read in a good while. But it does take a while to get into it.. starts off very slowly. But its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very interesting.

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

BossArky wrote:

a great, very well written Novel. without a doubt I think the allusion was made that the human characters were actually those on board, and that this was his less-painful way of telling the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

This is a fantastic book. I was disappointed by the end, the way it turned out....that Wikipedia link ruins it a bit no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I read it and enjoyed it in the middle of all the fuss about it, but was still underwhelmed, especially the end. But I may read it again less literally and see how feel, there's only a wet afternoon's reading in it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

a wonderful book, one of all time favourites, this is what classic literature is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Oul Wan

I read this book a few months ago. There were parts of it that I didn't find interesting but on the whole it was a great book. Thanks for that link. That's amazing.

Advertisement