Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Broadband

• 12-10-2006 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok, i know absolutly feck all about this so i said id put up me dilemma here, basicly im on eircom broadband i have a wireless netopia router thingy and thats connected to the family pc downstairs via ethernet.

Now im bringing my pc in from my moms house and i want to use the wireless broadband upstairs so ill have broadband in my room. Anyway i have one of theese http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306149

can i use it to pick up the wireless broadband from downstairs? if i cant no biggie cause i got it for free but twould save me in buyingsomthing else. If i cant what exactly do i need to pick it up? Also will the speed be killed drasticly cause im gonna be using it for gaming mostly.

Cheers for all the help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

i think you should be okay, the linksys router should pick up the broadband signal and then you can route it to your pc via the ethernet cable, an easier option would be to pick up a wireless reciever but there's no point in spending money unnecessarily. try the router you have and if all fails get e reciever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

an e reciever eh? whats that like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

thats not gonna work for you. you are gonna have to buy a usb wireless adapter (e receiver!) for your upstairs pc and configure it to pick up the wireless signal downstairs, unless of course your upstairs pc already has a wireless adapter in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭realblackstuff

If possible, get a cat5 cable from downstairs Eircom router straight to your PC, much faster than wireless.

sorry about the e receiver thing, a little spelling mistake, quaidox is right, i thought it was something else but you'll need an adapter, i have a usb one but an internal one saves a usb slot which is kinda handy.
    when i worked in pc world we were always advised stick brand to brand for convenience but i don't think it really matters. again sorry about the e receiver thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Cool can someone recomend me a usb one as i dont have the slightst clue

Patricide wrote:
    Cool can someone recomend me a usb one as i dont have the slightst clue

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321903

this is the one i have and i haven't had any problems with it. It comes with software for joining wireless networks but i'd strongly advise not using it and just use windows. Do you have service pack 2? if you need any help just post back up and let me know:D

Advertisement