Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy/Submarine simulator games

Options
  • 12-10-2006 6:47pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a good Navy/Submarine simulator game.Any sugestions....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Silent Hunter 3 is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Silent Hunter 3 is seconded, Silent Hunter 4 is coming out soon enough as well for WW2 pacific campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yep, I agree with Silent Hutner 3 too. It kicks ass, but be warned that the tutorials are next to useless! But sure, who needs tutorials! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks like its Silent Hunter 3 then,were is the best place to pick this up in the big smoke...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Silent Hunter 3 is fairly souless imo. Where's the fun in just going out and shooting at random stuff that has no impact on the game cos Germany still lose the war.

Dangerous Waters is a modern day sub sim. Not at all pretty like SH3 and it's fairly indepth but it can be alright for a time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Are there any decent non Sub simulators out there...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I know of some old ones.

There's the really old Fighting Steel, which was a battleship fleet simulator, but it was only the actual battles and there was no strategy in moving your fleets.

BUT, there is a program online that allows you to do such things on your desktop and when you encounter another fleet it loads the game up and sets up a battle according to your locations and forces.

Then there's Janes Naval fleet or something, which is a modern navy strategy game, never played it wasnt interested.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

here's the real beut.

Its f*cking ancient, you can get it for free and run it via doxbox, and its so very worth it. Great Naval Battles of the North Atlantic. An absolute must for battleship and destroyer fans, realistic and fun recreation of the battle of the atlantic in ww2.

The best thing about it was its campaign, you can be either German or British and playing as either is completely different.

As the German you must form task forces and sneak them past british defences to attack incoming convoys (yes, most of the atlantic is there for you to sneak around in.)

As the British you have to form task forces to protect convoys and hunt for German fleets.

Pretty much both fleets in full are accuratly portrayed in the game, so playing as the German's is bloody hard (only 2 strong battleships and 2 battlecruisers, but few pocket battleships and a buttload of destroyers.)

Its the forerunner for all that made Silent Hunter 3 one of the best games of last year.

But like I said its ancient, so the graphics might put you off. (didnt put me off.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Seen as we are allowed to go back in time , one of my first addictions to a game was Silent Service II on the NES , now that was fun , and almost a cause for divorce to a newly married man :)

Advertisement