Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two part question

• 12-10-2006 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Ok, went back to the dentist after about 12 year absence.
    Knew I had a lot of work to get done.
    so to date, have had 5/6 extractions and three fillings.
    The dentist i was seeing has left for a while, so I went to see her replacement.
    I asked for a general check-up as I hadnt had one since all the above mentioned work had started.

Question part one:
    The check-up consisted of her using only a mirror and scanning through the remaining teeth.Is this right?
    I thought they had to use a spikey thing to check aswell?
    Surely its not possible to check by sight alone?

Question part two:
    Obviously with the amount of extractions I have had to date, I will need a partial denture.
    I was quoted about 120 euro for the ordinary (with prsi allowance) or 'about 800 euro for a cobalt type'
    Are those good prices?Is it worth going for the cobalt type?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

1. Good lighting, a mirror and dry teeth are the most important things to have when examining the teeth. The probe (spikey thing) is good as well, but only confirms what should already have been observed by the eye. It is recommended by some to not use a probe at all, as in early caries (early decay), before a cavity or hole is formed, a probe can actually cause the formation of a hole. In practical terms, this is rarely likely to happen. Other things that might be used in an exam are radiographs (x-rays) and periodontal probing (which gives an idea of gum and bone health).

2. Cobalt chrome dentures are generally better than ordinary acrylic partial dentures. If designed correctly, they are more retentive (don't move around as much), don't cause as much damage to the mouth (because they don't move around) and are usually more comfortable to wear. They usually cost more because metal castings for the framework of the denture are expensive from the labs and they take a lot of designing and know how. CoChr dentures distribute bite forces more evenly than acrylic dentures, generally speaking.

I don't know the particular details of your case, but if your dentist has given you the option of a cobalt chrome denture, I would recommend it. The price seems good also (from what I know of other dentists prices).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

acrylic dentures are temporaries as in transitional appliance prior to something permanent like a chrome or dental implants. the chrome is worth going for if its been a few months and the bone levels have reasonably settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Thanks folks

Advertisement