Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Rock match?

• 12-10-2006 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

This is a tough one for me to choose because when I think of the Rock, his promos are the first thing that come into my mind. But thats not to say he was n't a good wrestler, he was just gold on the mic.

For me, my favourite match that he was against Triple H at Backlash 2000 where Austin was the special enforcer. He had been chasing the belt for 9 months from Trips and this was the moment he finally got the belt.

I remember little about the match other than the energy of the crowd, the pop when he won and JR screaming "GAME OVER". It was the peak of what was a great feud and it all just clicked brilliantly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

you are right, it is hard to remember a rock match. when you mention rock all you remember is lines like 'shove to straight up your candy ass'----' ja-bron-e' (cant remember how to spell it) and many more.
    so i am going to agree with vince's pick because of what jr said at the end. i will never ever forget ----'game over'---- and i remeber that match because of that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

For me, it has to be Austin Vs. Rock from WrestleMania X-Seven, the match was what really pulled me in as a wrestling fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually can remember a lot of Rock matches and while they weren't mat classics, he worked hard and was able to entertain. I liked his battles with Austin at WM17 and WM19, the match with Triple H mentioned above from 2000, I liked his match with Brock Lesnar at Summerslam 2002 as well as against Goldberg at Backlash 2003.

For me though his match with Hogan at WM18 was great just for the crowd reaction alone and I felt Rock played it up very well near the end by shifting into his heel persona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A best of three falls match he had with Triple H for the IC belt during the Nation Vs DX feud was brilliant.

I think the last fall may have been a ladder match???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Versus Austin in WM17 was easily his most memorable.

But for me, his best match was against Jericho at No Mercy 2001. Great match, great psychology, great ending when Jericho finally won the big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

A tie between Austin/Rock at WM 17 and Rock/HHH at Backlash with Austin coming in. Jesus Austin had some gut on him that nite!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

[wipes small tear from eye] ah the rock! i think he was a bit like cena in that, as far as wrestling skills go, he was pretty poor, but to quote the great one, his matches were simply electrifying! with the rock it was all about playing to the crowd, which in pro wrestling, is just as important as having technical skills [e.g benoit angle]. his matches were exciting to watch. He was the first wrestler just do get beat down by everyone in every match, he'd lose control early and then the usual end with an explosion of emotion and adrenaline, rock would would everyones ass. But with cena it just feels like watchin reruns of the Rock. Rock was able to make it feel real. You sort of felt that he was able to beat all these guys at once, but with Cena you just know its coming every time and he makes it seem so fake. Sorry about that rant, i just miss the rock. i'd have to agree with Backlash 2000. Was one of the few magical nights that only people like rock austin michaels etc. could produce. Nobody on the roster can do that these days. There's something even more artificial and commercial about wrestling these days. Remember Austin exploding Triple H's bus the night before that match though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

Easy, the Hogan match. I hate Hogan and the Rock is boring in the ring (slap, punch, kick, fancy DDT) but this match was cool to watch. The face was the heel and the heel was the face. It was fun to see them step out of the pre-defined charaters in reaction to the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

I'd go with either Rock / Brock at summerslam or Rock / Hogan at WM. The fued with Lesnar was excellent, I thought it was quite different than the usual types of fued in wwe. The segments where they showed each of them training reminded me of Rocky IV. The match with Hogan was quality - very entertaining to watch and bizarre with the crowd reactions. It's a pity there's nothing as good as this these days in wwe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Rock Austin steel cage rematch the night after WM 17 where austin and vince double team rock, and when Trip comes down to make the save he turns on rock. the start of the two man power trip, also it was a good match only 24 hours after wm17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

The backlash match was class but it was the whole Austin entrance that made it. The two commentators were totally on the ball aswell and made it about 10 times better than it already was. TBH Ive never heard a bigger pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ill go with the ladder match at summerslam 1998,the mankind i quit match royal rumble 1999 and hogan at WM18,that was the best crowd reaction ive ever seen for a match,that first few mins when they lock up,hogan pushes rock over and the crowd lose their minds,and when he hulks up watch the first few rows of fans completely mark out,great atmosphere
    as for rock being a bad wrestler,he wasnt,he was far from an angle or jericho but he mostly had decent matches

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

A best of three falls match he had with Triple H for the IC belt during the Nation Vs DX feud was brilliant.

I think the last fall may have been a ladder match???

Gotta agree with this pick,dont think a ladder was involved,they had a best of three at Fully Loaded 98,HHH hit a Pedigree right at the buzzer,thus Rock retaining the strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gotta agree with this pick,dont think a ladder was involved,they had a best of three at Fully Loaded 98,HHH hit a Pedigree right at the buzzer,thus Rock retaining the strap.

It think it was just on RAW, which made it even better. Then realising they were onto a good thing they put it on PPV afterwards, although I may be wrong.

It was a top class match when they were both still rising stars.

Advertisement