Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work

Options
  • 12-10-2006 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Will an amd athlon xp 3000 1.3ghz be usable in my computer going on the info i have supplied in the pics does anyone know. as far as i can make out from here it will, but would like a boardsie expert to confirm for me.
    Thnx in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

I would say no as i kinda remember the kt133 went only to 1.2ghz but i may be wrong.Remember kt133a came out after this.

Best option look up motherboard site and see cpu compatiability charts.

regards kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The KT133 can take up to an Athlon XP {Thunderbird core} clocked at 1.4Ghz if I recall but that it dependant on bios support from the motherboard vendor.

What sort of Athlon XP do you have as you mention a 3000+ one but those were based off the Barton core and clocked at 2.167Ghz. I do not think a Barton may work in your motherboard if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

ok what i found out is from box "amd athlon xp quantispeed architecture operates at 2167mhz assembled in malaysia" barton is the code name.. Socket A 462 pin

Yup that's the Barton core Athlon XP , from what I read of the topic the KT133A can support a Barton but it is up to the motherboard vendor to provide a bios update.

Do you know the make & model number of your motherboard {open the case & take a look} that would allow us to know if the CPU will work or not as the makers website will have a CPU compatibility chart.

cool i'll do that and report back findings. cheers for he help.

attached photos now of all info i could fond on the mobo.

• Advertisement

is the new pics any good in trying to see if it will take the athlon xp 3000 8T8?
    ive tried lookin around but to be honest i dont know what im looking for

The MS-6330 is the giveaway that it is an MSI motherboard and a KT133 chipset.

Unfortuantely the bad news is the Barton cores are not supported, you can see the CPU compatibility chart on MSI's site displaying so for the MS-6330.

Cheers 8T8 for all your help much appreciated. Gonna try and get the Palamino AthlonXP 1800+ for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

if you do find a 1800+ ge a jjiuhb stepping code model, As it can be overclocked to 3.0ghz. And 100% the 3000+ barton will not work in your motherboard, I even looked for a bios that would allow this, Apparently you can get a daughter card for the cpu to allow you to run the 3000+ but this is extreemly rare to find one.

If you would like i have a old asus a7v8x-x motherboard here i could see you for say 30€ including shipping and posting. I had a 3000+ for it too, which clocked to 2.57ghz on this board with just a fsb increase and no vcore increase, but Strat bought it.

PM me if you want it :)

right ive sourced myself one on ebay can anyone recommend a good heat sink option for this CPU. is it easy to do this upgrade also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement