Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie!

Options
  • 12-10-2006 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been looking to get into this sport for a number of years.
    Always had an interest in it.

I wouldn't be into the whole animal hunting thing although the whole forest hunting thing looks really good but just couldn't hurt an animal.

ANYWAY

I would prefare just shoot targets.

Obviously i need to get my license etc.
    How do i go about this.

Also i presume i dont buy a gun until i have my license etc
    (obviously i wont be sold one until then)
    How do i practice/train for my license etc??

As you can see im a complete beginner and have 101 questions.

Any help on this would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Roughly what part of the country are you living ...? (County will do )

If you let us know , there may be a club nearby you can visit and have a chat with some of the other shooters. An hour spent somewhere like that would be time well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Im in drogheda mate.

www.tcd.ie/clubs/rifle - only open to current / graduate students of TCD but there a links to other target shooting clubs in that region

www.targetshootingireland.org - website of the Irish target shooting association

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

st3vo wrote:
    Obviously i need to get my license etc.
    How do i go about this.

Also i presume i dont buy a gun until i have my license etc
    (obviously i wont be sold one until then)
    How do i practice/train for my license etc??

To apply for a licence, you need a serial number from a firearm. Each firearm is licenced.

So you'll need to buy your weapon first, paying a deposit to your chosen firearms dealer. Then apply to your local Garda firearms officer. He'll interview you, do some background checks & forward your app to his superintendent.

Some weeks later, if approved, you'll get your firearms certificate which will allow your dealer to give you your firearm.

You must have a valid reason for having a firearm, target shooting in your case. You'll need to be a member of a target shooting club so........

As regards training etc., there aren't any requirements in place at present :eek: .

Echo the advice already given, visit a club to see what's available & have a chat with members there for advice.

That's a start for you anyway ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Some clubs have equipment for new members to use until they have decided that they want to take up the sport seriously and buy their own gear. We have about three target rifles, jackets, gloves and slings for this purpose, other clubs may have something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

rrpc mentioned a lot of the gear for target shooting and a lot of it is expensive to buy new but have a good hunt on ebay.co.uk - there's lots of good second hand stuff to be had.

A good fitting jacket, a good sling and a good glove are the bare essentials but most clubs might have a few to lend out till you find your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

Quote "I wouldn't be into the whole animal hunting thing although the whole forest hunting thing looks really good but just couldn't hurt an animal."

I kind of remember somebody telling me of an airrifle discipline that take part in forrested areas using .22 airrifles and animal shaped targets, supposed to be very demanding becaues of the wind adjustments and such, may be right up your street im sure some one will come along with the exact name of it might be "Hunter Target" or something

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Field Target Air Rifle.
    There's no body for it down here that I know of (though there are lads shooting it), but there is one up north called NIFTA and they have a decent website to explain the sport. Also take a read of the Target Sports magazine, they have a Field Target column.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

sillouettes

Thanks for all the help lads!

Really apreciate it.
    I was emailing the guy from Shoot.ie and he said he would have a chat with me after 2 today.

Does it not sound really funny that you have to actually go pick a fire arm and leave a deposit before i go for the application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Go and visit a club and chat to some lads, try a couple of firearms THEN go and oick one!

And yes it's normal to place a deposit and get your serial number.

Is it ok for me to visit a club etc and fire a gun without a lisence.
    Sorry for all the stupid questions but i am new.

Is there any clubs near enough to me. DOnt mind travelling but not major travel. Also I was just thinking about it last night.
    Rodent hunting and Fesent (spelling) hunting i would be up for.

Does open different things for me?

I was just talking to Brian Duffy from Duffy's Fishing/shoot.ie

Really nice guy!

Took me through different options etc.

From my understanding i would be looking at a sporter of some sort. For clay pigeon and some game hunting etc.

So Im going to try and contact some gun club in my area and have a chat with them. Try pick out a gun leave a deposite and visit the local garda station.

Looking forward to getting started!

st3vo wrote:
    Is it ok for me to visit a club etc and fire a gun without a lisence.
    Yes, there's provision in the law for this.
    Sorry for all the stupid questions
    No such thing. Now, trying to start shooting without asking questions, that would be stupid.
    Is there any clubs near enough to me.
    From Drogheda? Hmmm.
    Fingal Rifle Club would be about the closest I think, but so's Courtlough and for a total newbie, Courtlough is probably the better option, they're more set up for newbies.
    Rodent hunting and Fesent (spelling) hunting i would be up for.
    Two different things, those. You hunt pheasants with a shotgun; rodents are too small really to be hunting with firearms (no, rabbits are not members of the family Rodentia :p ). Stick to mousetraps for them lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote:
    Two different things, those. You hunt pheasants with a shotgun; rodents are too small really to be hunting with firearms (no, rabbits are not members of the family Rodentia :p ). Stick to mousetraps for them lads :D

Rats are great sport with air rifles!!!

lol!! i can just imagine trying to take a shot at a rat with a shotgun!!

Vegeta wrote:
    Rats are great sport with air rifles!!!
    Not according to the DoJ's background notes :D
    These weapons are dangerous and can only be used for target practice purposes; they can never be used to shoot small animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

st3vo wrote:
    lol!! i can just imagine trying to take a shot at a rat with a shotgun!!
    Many's the rat that has met his demise at the business end of a load of No. 6 from a double barrelled 12 gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Courtlough would be ideal given location and facillities if it's shotgun your interested in.

Whats the garda interview like?

What kind of background are done etc?

How long does it take for all this to start happening

• Advertisement

Er, interview? Never heard of it.
    Walk in, ask for an application form, fill it out. The garda will ask a few questions in the meantime. All fairly basic stuff, the only reason it sounds intimidating is that most people who apply for firearms licences wouldn't normally be talking to a Garda officially.

The form, by the way, looks like this:

FirearmsApplicationForm_640.png

For more details, see here.

Ah i thought there was an interview!

Jeez dont get me wrong but it seems very easy to get a gun.

There is a background check though yes?

st3vo wrote:
    Whats the garda interview like?

What kind of background are done etc?

How long does it take for all this to start happening
    There's no 'interview' in the formal sense.
    You'll have a bit of a chat with the Firearms Officer (or whatever other Garda helps with the application form) as you do the form, either at the station counter or inside the office if the public part is busy/full of skangers.

Don't turn up in a shiny tracksuit raving on about 'busting a cap' in someone's ass and you'll be grand. :D

The background check is just a look to see if you're 'known to the Gardai' (in the bad sense) and are generally a decent ordinary citizen.
    Some people have unfortunately found that having neighbours with 'previous' has been a hindrance to them getting a Firearm Certificate. With a bit of luck you won't fall into that category.

How long it takes is something of a moveable feast. Anything from a few weeks to many months or even years.
    If you'd like to tell us what Garda District you're in, someone here might be able to give you a more definite timeline.

lol! pop a cap! WORD!...sorry

The Drogheda Garda station would be my local.
    Ive never been Known to the Gardai (in the bad sence) and
    never done anything out of the ordinary to bring attention to myself.

YEARS?!?!!?

st3vo wrote:
    lol! pop a cap! WORD!...sorry

The Drogheda Garda station would be my local.
    Ive never been Known to the Gardai (in the bad sence) and
    never done anything out of the ordinary to bring attention to myself.

YEARS?!?!!?
    The cases taking years are pretty rare, but they do exist.
    If you haven't heard a response after six or eight weeks, it'd be time to do some enquiring.

Drogheda is well away from me, so I can't be of any help there.
    There's bound to be someone here doing their licencing through that station though, with a bit of luck they'll chime in with their experiences there.

Thanks for the info Rovi!!

ANyone here apply in Drogheda Garda Station?

I was just reading another thread on the site.

Do i need to get a monitered alarm for my house if there will be fire arms in it?

I will be getting a safe.... thats just comon sense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Go up to the gun gallery (its in drogheda, cant remember street name)
    He knows quite a few local clubs that might suit you.
    Have a look at what he has in stock.

Wait till next month to apply, i think thats when the 3 year license comes in and you will get a reply in under 3 months (or a refusal) under the new rules.

I have a 4 shotgun cabinet if youre interested,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

ie there an 3 fold increase in cost for the 3 year €114~

i hope not the main justification for fee is admin and the admin will reduve with the 3 year one it should only go up a small bit
    or even decrease :):):):D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote:
    Wait till next month to apply, i think thats when the 3 year license comes in and you will get a reply in under 3 months (or a refusal) under the new rules.
    The legislation being enacted next month is to do with sentencing for firearms offences.
    All the other stuff still in abeyance (reloading, training licences, the three year licence system, etc) will be enacted 'in the new year,' whatever that means.

st3vo:
    There's no requirement for a monitered alarm. The Gardai like to see a monitered alarm if someone has or is applying for multiple firearms, but there's no hard and fast rule on it. Another of the things that vary from district to district.
    There isn't even a requirement to have a gun safe (at the moment), but I'd consider it to be basic common sense to have one.
    A safe should be more than adequate for a first application for a single gun.

Advertisement