Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Dang! i thought the November changes brought in the 3 year, my mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

Im heading up to the Gun Gallery now to have a look see.

I'll let y'all know how i get on.

ok just back from the gun gallery.

Nice Guy.

I may have some problems though.
    It would appear i need permission to shoot on some-ones land before i
    apply for a license. As the Gardai will not give me a license if i have no where to shoot it. Makes sence.

2nd, i could join a club. This is the expensive option.
    It will cost me 200 upwards to join and will be charged every time i visit the club. This means if i am refused a license for some reason i have lost all that cash.
    I would kinda prefare to join a club because having thought about it for weeks on end now and actuall holding both the shotgun and the riffle. I was always edging towards the riffle anyway. It seems to be a more ,,,,technical for the want of a better word. I could be wrong.

The guy in the gun shop was explaining to me that a riffle is not a proper game gun as the bullet travels further etc.

Although i do like the idea of being outdoors in forests/fields and, hunting, if you will.

Does anyone know how mush it costs for a membership to the clay pigeon shooting club beside the airport??

Any farmers around the drogheda are here that would be will to give permission??

Jesus my head hurts!

Actually one more question....(for this hour)

Why cant i de both!??! ie. Shotgun and Riffle

Does my license (the one i havent got yet) allow me to do all kinds of shooting. Riffle, Shotgun and Pistol??

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

'fraid not ST3vo.
    The Irish system's abit on the dense side, it's sort of the firearm thats licenced rather than you......
    If you want a rifle, shotgun and pistol, I'm afraid that's 3 seperate licences, and of course 3 licence fee's. In an ideal situation, like a motor vehicle licence, the person would be licenced and the catorgories selected, however that's not us:mad:

• Advertisement

Hmm thats a bit crap!

I may pay for the shotgun and riffle license though.
    Around 300 a yaer isn't it.

I think i need to sort out my first license first though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

st3vo wrote:
    I may pay for the shotgun and riffle license though.
    Around 300 a yaer isn't it.
    Nope.

Currently, a shotgun licence is €25 for the first one and €6 each for additional ones.
    Rifle and pistol licences are €38 each, no matter how many you have.
    This may change whenever the three year licence system comes into force.

Basically, there are only two purposes for which a Firearm Certificate will be granted in this jurisdiction: Hunting and Target Shooting.

To apply on the basis of Hunting, you will need to have either your own land on which to hunt or permission from land owner(s) to hunt upon their lands.
    The number of landowners/area of land required is variable from district to district, be guided by the Firearms Officer in your local Garda Station on this one.
    Membership of a Gun Club under the auspices of the National Association of Regional Game Councils (NARGC) will automatically gain you access and permission to land, and insurance.
    In addition, if you wish to hunt deer, you will need permission/access to land on which deer exist and a Deer Hunting Licence from the National Parks & Wildlife Service.

To apply on the basis of Target Shooting, you will need to be a member of a Club that caters for the type of shooting in which you wish to participate: Air Rifle/Pistol, Smallbore/Fullbore Rifle, Smallbore/Fullbore Pistol, Shotgun.

Thanks Rovi,, again!

Gonna head doen to the garda station on monday i hope and see what they say about land permission etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

st3vo

You seem to be taking too much in in too short a time. You should slow down a bit and start checking out the sport end first before you go charging in to your local Garda Station looking for a licence. In my view, that's the very last thing that you do.

If you want to go shotgun shooting, look up the nearest gun club and see if you can go along to a shoot; either game or clay pigeon. If it's taget shooting you want, either with sporting or target rifle, then have a look at a couple of clubs in your area or at least in the Dublin area.

Don't be afraid to call in to a club and ask questions. Better to have your questions answered first before you go into a Garda Station looking like you know nothing. You've got some good starting points here, but there is nothing like the real experience of being present watching others do it, or taking part yourself to give you an idea of what you want.

Most clubs will allow prospective members "have a go" before they sign up, so you won't be down a membership or joining fee when you make a decision. I have seen a number of 'Newbie's' come on here, think they have all the information and rush out to buy something only to find out a couple of months later that it's not what they want at all.

Take your time, enjoy the experience and then make a decision.

Thanks rrpc.

Thats exactly what im gonna do.
    Gotta find some clubs.

I found one in balbriggan im try get in and have a look

• Advertisement
Advertisement